GDT: Caps at Canes

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’ve thought Martinook has looked great so far this year compared to what we’ve seen from him in recent years.

So I looked up his fancy stats and he leads the entire league in CF%. Staal and Fast aren’t far behind, so that line despite not appearing to be as good without Nino is still doing what’s expected of them.
They've looked good. Which hopefully means they stick together and no one inexplicably finds their way in the top 6

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They've looked good. Which hopefully means they stick together and no one inexplicably finds their way in the top 6

I don't think it's inexplicable at all. It was very easy to understand why one of them found their way to the top 6. It's because some of the players in the top 6 (TT) have been less effective and even bad and the top line has been ineffective for two games in a row now.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't think it's inexplicable at all. It was very easy to understand why one of them found their way to the top 6. It's because some of the players in the top 6 (TT) have been less effective and even bad and the top line has been ineffective for two games in a row now.

All of that can be (and is) true, but pegging Martinook as the solution, even temporarily, is inexplicable to me.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Jarvis - Aho - Noesen
Svech - JK - Nachos
Marty - Staal - Fast
TT - Stepan - Stastny

earn your ice time!!!

If we ignore the ordering of the lines I like the chemistry there. Someone (can’t remember who) pointed out that an issue with the 1st line has been that no one really has the build to go to the net so the grimy work has sort of fallen to Jarvis by default. Noesen is a net front grimy guy. Meanwhile TT playing off of 2 cerebral vets against 3rd pairings might pay off.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
My neighborhood attracts a bunch of little shits on Halloween. If we leave a bowl out, somebody will just steal the bowl and all the candy in it. And a few older kids will probably come around in the wee hours to break everyone’s decorations and kick in their pumpkins.

Ask me why I bought a security system on November 1 last year.
That's why I suggested mints and not the good stuff.

Damn kids will Tom Wilson your goodies.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
All of that can be (and is) true, but pegging Martinook as the solution, even temporarily, is inexplicable to me.

Which LW makes sense then?

1) he didn't want to break up Svech and Necas
2) Martinook was playing the best of any winger not named Svech or Necas (eye test and fancy stats)
3) Fast is a RW and stapled to Staal (for good reason).
4) Stastny is way too slow and hasn't been effective at all.
5) Noesen is a RW.

You are acting like there are other options. It's basically Martinook or Noesen (which means someone playing on their off hand side).

The fact of the matter is, that if we don't want to see guys like Martinook or Noesen on the top line (and we don't), then TT needs start performing. Plain and simple.

Again, I don't think it's inexplicable at all. If Kase was healthy, then we'd have some options, but we don't.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Which LW makes sense then?

1) he didn't want to break up Svech and Necas
2) Martinook was playing the best of any winger not named Svech or Necas (eye test and fancy stats)
3) Fast is a RW and stapled to Staal (for good reason).
4) Stastny is way too slow and hasn't been effective at all.

You are acting like there are other options. It's basically Martinook or Noesen with either Noesen (which means someone playing on their off hand side).

The fact of the matter is, that if we don't want to see guys like Martinook or Noesen on the top line (and we don't), then TT needs start performing. Plain and simple.

Again, I don't think it's inexplicable at all.

Noesen would have been my choice, given his ability to score in the AHL and the fact we're already using him on the PP. And added benefit, it doesn't break up the effective Staal line.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Noesen would have been my choice, given his ability to score in the AHL and the fact we're already using him on the PP. And added benefit, it doesn't break up the effective Staal line.

Ok, so you are basically arguing about moving a LH 3rd/4th liner to the top line LW vs. moving a RH 4th liner (who has zero goals and 2 assists 5v5) to the top line LW on his off hand side. :dunno:

Seems like a weird position to take, but not a big deal.

I wouldn't have cared either way. Like I said, there aren't any good options if TT doesn't perform unless/until Patches and Kase come back.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Win or you know what to do.

Also, please don't allow any goals to anyone except Ovechkin, and hopefully just none altogether.

Ovechkin is now cursed to skate the earth until he breaks Gretz's goal record.

oviezombie1.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So since I don't have NHL network, there's no way to legally watch this game tonight? Is that correct?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Finally get to watch live. Gonna turn off the porch lights for no interruptions. f*** them kids
Put out one a note that says " there's one full size candy bar, its going out at the first intermission of the game. I do t know how many off you will want it but only one can have it"

Then watch through the blinds when you set it out!

Reactions: raynman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad