Confirmed with Link: Capitals promote Chris Patrick to GM, Brian MacLellan will remain as President of Hockey Ops

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Main concern for me is it seems xGMBM had really good relationships developed with all the other GMs/orgs that we'll need the next 2 offseasons especially

hope CP is up to the task to deal with so many contracts coming off the books and a lot of Cap Space

As if the current era was coming to a close wasn't more apparent, interesting news

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Unimpressed with nepo hires. Not a fan of upper management to begin with and this just makes Daddy Patrick the defacto GM.

Reactions: Block

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
Good succession planning. GMBM wins the offseason and hands the baton to the guy that helped him do it. He has put together a winner at Hershey and there’s every reason to think he is up to the job.

Nepo hire? Only if you think he is unqualified, after sixteen years of doing the work. And it’s not as if it’s a public company, if Ted wants to keep it in the family that is fine as long as the product on the ice is worthy.

Jun 15, 2007
If this was a guy they really wanted and were grooming from the start, they should have had him go to another team and impress there first. Like Yzerman went to Tampa before his homecoming. Or you like you know...Carbery to Toronto...

I went to school with a few guys who were heirs to big companies. None of them worked for their company directly after school. They worked for other companies, accrued experience, then went back to their parents companies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
8491949.jpg

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Skins let a coach in waiting walk out the door partially because he was some guys kid and went and hired some guys brother, if you like the guy don't let him leave

Reactions: Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This better explains the "war room" in Vegas for FA Frenzy. They needed to make this move asap so that meant getting all the loose ends tied up.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
I would've liked to have seen some interviews with outside candidates, if for no other reason than exposure to some other potential plans for the organization. Caps management has been very inbred for a long time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
just further solidifying the foundation of the management team. Dude has been with the Caps for 16 years. President (and former GM) BM is going nowhere that's for sure....

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you look at the task list for Patrick from last summer, he was already doing a large portion of the GM job this past year.

careful you'll get trampled by the Nepo stampeders.....

The dude has put his time in, despite what a few have to say on it....

Its time to move on from GM- initials shortenings like with GMBM and GMGM.

Im gonna call him Chris the Manager.

Good luck on the gig Chris the manager.
GMCP it is....

Last edited:
  • Haha

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm actually a massive fan of nepotism. Can't get enough of it. Absolutely adore it. There, I said it. It needed to be said (I guess).

Probably should have seen this coming when Patrick was promoted to Associate GM a year ago, something that completely flew under my radar (as August hockey news tends to do). He's at least had some small part in putting together Hershey's recent teams, albeit with a ton of input from Helmer you'd think. Can't say I recall ever seeing an interview with him...just quotes on prospects from Tarik IINM. Wait and see but I can't imagine it's much of a departure at all. And that's fine. Internally they're very content with the path they're on and the network in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad