Friedman: Capitals interested in Marc-Andre Fleury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You mean Scott Murray the Caps goalie coach. They went from Mitch Korn to a nobody goalie coach, that even Holtby could not connect with.
This is the correct answer.

Mitch Korn would turn Samsonov into a World Beater. There are a good 20 Goalie Coaches who could do better. The Caps Assistants and Position Coaches are flailing this season.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Vanecek is better than mediocre at best. What is for sure is ready to play and committed to his career. His numbers are better. Consistently so. I will tell you this, I would not want to trade Vanecek and end up with Samsonov and some retread for next season.
Do you believe vanecek can take over a game? Do you think he can backstop a deep run. Imo I don't see it. I believe if the caps play well, and limit the high danger chances, he does well. When they struggle vanny won't make the big saves. Just my opinion. I do believe Sammy has those capabilities but he is inconsistent and does not seem focused on his career the way you say vanny seems. Not saying fleury will win them the cup but I would gamble he is better then either of the current goalies. I also think they need a dman and a 3rd line contributor. So the needs may be too much this year anyway

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do you believe vanecek can take over a game? Do you think he can backstop a deep run. Imo I don't see it. I believe if the caps play well, and limit the high danger chances, he does well. When they struggle vanny won't make the big saves. Just my opinion. I do believe Sammy has those capabilities but he is inconsistent and does not seem focused on his career the way you say vanny seems. Not saying fleury will win them the cup but I would gamble he is better then either of the current goalies. I also think they need a dman and a 3rd line contributor. So the needs may be too much this year anyway

What I believe is that Vanecek is reliable. You can count on him. Yes, Sammy can be better but he is not remotely reliable. This is his year to take over. He has 3 shutouts and a .903sv%. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that other than those 3 games he is been horrible. I dont think they should give up on Samsonov but I also think that going into next season without only Samsonov is crazy

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
What I believe is that Vanecek is reliable. You can count on him. Yes, Sammy can be better but he is not remotely reliable. This is his year to take over. He has 3 shutouts and a .903sv%. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that other than those 3 games he is been horrible. I dont think they should give up on Samsonov but I also think that going into next season without only Samsonov is crazy
Oh I agree that Sammy is not reliable but probably more talented. Just don't think vanny is a championship caliber goalie. Depends on what the caps want to do. The window to win a championship with ovi is 3 years. Do they have time to wait for vanny to become something he is not or Sammy to reach his potential? Not saying fleury is the answer but in 5 years the caps will be terrible for sure for a few years. Why not try to win now

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Well damn. If this happens, and the Pens are knocked out of the playoffs, I'm going to be in the awkward position of having to root for the Caps. Love the guy. Great goalie, even better human.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Schultz isn’t an asset, he’s an expiring UFA that has a 4.5 million cap hit. Thought it was obvious he’s included literally to make the salary cap work.

I think you are vaaaaaastly over valuing MAF, a guy literally acquired by you last year for a warm body. Obviously the context of the season is relevant, but I’m not seeing how he, an aging G on expiring deal, is worth more than a 3rd. I ask for your counter because it forces you to reckon with the reality that there isn’t any G traded that yield a ton more.

Vanecek is included because he’s a desirable G project on a friendly deal, teams losing Gs tend to like replacements . I don’t see why CHI wouldn’t.

The first +Protas seems fair value to me for DeBrincat as I’ve explained his current contract isn’t a steal and Protas is a future top 6, I don’t think you’ll see a windfall but I’ve explained this ad nauseum

DeBrincat is third overall in the league in goal scoring over the last three seasons, at $6.5m a season he is definitely a steal.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This is an example of horrible self-aggrandizing logic. We get you love Fleury more than his mother. GMs of actual teams are based in reality, your opinion is just #BASED.

It's obvious you name call when you can't articulate a logical argument

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Washington will not pay anything like you’re suggesting for a Pure Rental Marc-Andre Fleury.

Get a grip on reality and stop using emotions to guide your illogical thinking. MAF record and accomplishments speak highly including his stellar season he is having, you seem to think just because he would be a rental that somehow chicago should hand him over lol. Going after a goalie who will become your starter isn't like grabbing a 3rd or 4th line utility player or 7th pairing d-man all for depth.
It's possible MAF could resign in the offseason if he feels there is a great chance to win a cup.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Neither of us are GMs. Quit with that shit. No MAF isnt so low level player but you seem also not to be willing to accept that the Capitals have budget and other options. You seem to be saying the Caps MUST get Fluery and must pay the price you are demanding.

Just leave it. Washington has made it pretty clear that they are not interested in spending their first and their best prospects for short term improvement. Not sure why you cant accept this as a reasonable possibility. But you dont. Carry on.

Washington is the team who is seriously looking at acquiring MAF . Washington's current netminders aren't reliable enough , regarding money chicago would likely be eating salary that's obvious to the average person who can add and subtract and read a budget. But asking a team to eat part of the salary and will probably also want to dump a contract , that team is going to pay up

Look throughout the history of trades to get a idea of what might be needed to make a deal

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Washington is the team who is seriously looking at acquiring MAF . Washington's current netminders aren't reliable enough , regarding money chicago would likely be eating salary that's obvious to the average person who can add and subtract and read a budget. But asking a team to eat part of the salary and will probably also want to dump a contract , that team is going to pay up

Look throughout the history of trades to get a idea of what might be needed to make a deal

Just like buying anything. You either are willing to pay the price or you are not. Meanwhile Fluery appears to be saying no anyway

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Man, the Caps wanna be the Pens so badly. Orpik, Schultz, Niskanen, Sheary, Hagelin, now MAF?

why+are+you+so+obsessed+with+me.gif

(Just kidding, we know why)

Reactions: Extra Texture

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Man, the Caps wanna be the Pens so badly. Orpik, Schultz, Niskanen, Sheary, Hagelin, now MAF?

why+are+you+so+obsessed+with+me.gif

(Just kidding, we know why)

Sprong, Lang and Kindrachuk are feeling annoyed at being left out.

I omitted Jagr as he commenced sucking on arrival in DC, as if it was a prearranged heel turn, so all is forgiven there.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Can’t imagine the hawks getting a first round pick. Would love it but just see it happening.
Fleury is 37 and despite the insistence to the contrary hasn’t shown himself to be anything more than replacement level this season, a 1st is not happening.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Sprong, Lang and Kindrachuk are feeling annoyed at being left out.

I omitted Jagr as he commenced sucking on arrival in DC, as if it was a prearranged heel turn, so all is forgiven there.
As always Jagr can F Right Off and Die.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Get a grip on reality and stop using emotions to guide your illogical thinking. MAF record and accomplishments speak highly including his stellar season he is having, you seem to think just because he would be a rental that somehow chicago should hand him over lol. Going after a goalie who will become your starter isn't like grabbing a 3rd or 4th line utility player or 7th pairing d-man all for depth.
It's possible MAF could resign in the offseason if he feels there is a great chance to win a cup.
Face it you can whine all you like, no one is paying a 1st or Top Prospect for a 37-yr old that’s now on his second team where he hasn’t been anything special in the Playoffs. The Caps know Playoff Felury, since he left Pitts he’s been replacement level at best. At 37 he’s not worth gambling much on.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Like I said about the first round pick.
And replacement level is just not a good take.
Among goalie having played more than 14 Games.

2021‑2022 NHL Goalie Stats

27th in GAA
25th in SV%
Goals Saved Above Expected -6.9 (worst on the Hawks, worse than both Caps Gs).

GAA and SV% Both worse than Wsh own Vanecek.
So yes replacement level at best.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Watch the games. Behind a terrible team defense.
Good take. The stats don’t mean anything my impression by eye is what matters. Get lost.

Face it, Fleury’s legend among Hawk fans is highly over-rated and fictional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad