OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The Gift - (2015) w jason Bateman, it was good. a good kinda thriller drama movie to watch with your wife on the couch. Hes more Ozark bateman then arrested development bateman.

On the waterfront - (1954) best pic winner, Brando won best actor ... first half was really good, but was kinda confused at the ending and how it played out.

-----------------

I NEED HELP identifying a movie. Its maybe 15 years old. Comedy/drama/thriller. Takes place for the most part as 4-6 friends in an apartment talking and there is some dilmena of what to do/coming to a group decision .. with like a winning lottery ticket or something of value left behind that doesnt belong to any of them.

I thought it was The Gift but that was a totally diff movie apparently ..
That movie you are asking about sounds really familiar. My gut feels like its 2005-2015

Reactions: Neil Racki

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Sponsor
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
My first thought was Shallow Grave, but that movie is 30 years old. (It's the first film Danny Boyle directed; he directed Trainspotting a couple of years later.)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Most inappropriate age-to-content movie I saw was Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood. Watched it at my friend’s house at a sleepover with his older sister and her friend. We were 10, they were 16. I don’t think I understood 70% of the movie at the time but his sister and her friend were gorgeous so we could have watched paint dry for all I cared :laugh:

Also saw Event Horizon at a hockey tournament with a bunch of teammates in one of the hotel rooms while the parents were hanging out at the hotel bar. I was 12. That movie fuuuuucked me up for a while, I was only able to watch it again 20 years later or so and while it’s still disturbing, it obviously didn’t affect me like I did when I was 12.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Most inappropriate age-to-content movie I saw was Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood. Watched it at my friend’s house at a sleepover with his older sister and her friend. We were 10, they were 16. I don’t think I understood 70% of the movie at the time but his sister and her friend were gorgeous so we could have watched paint dry for all I cared :laugh:

Also saw Event Horizon at a hockey tournament with a bunch of teammates in one of the hotel rooms while the parents were hanging out at the hotel bar. I was 12. That movie fuuuuucked me up for a while, I was only able to watch it again 20 years later or so and while it’s still disturbing, it obviously didn’t affect me like I did when I was 12.
Event Horizon always got to me too. I generally always up sci-fi 4k blurays and noticed that EH came out in the format but still hesitate since its not one that I will typically feel like rewatching. Its been a decade plus probably since I got a piece of it here and there on some premium channel.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'm feeling very GenX right now. Inappropriate age to content was everything all the time. We were wholly unsupervised and watched whatever the hell we wanted whenever we wanted. I'm talking home sick from school alone all day watching sex scenes on Days of Ours Lives in like 3rd grade...
I think genx got a little bit of the late 60s and 70s free range kids vibe. 80s did throw a damper with Aids, rise of the christian political right. Stickers for bad language on CDs, Unhinged (a bit) MADD, the whole satanism panic with backward playing record players and playing dungeons and dragons.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think genx got a little bit of the late 60s and 70s free range kids vibe. 80s did throw a damper with Aids, rise of the christian political right. Stickers for bad language on CDs, Unhinged (a bit) MADD, the whole satanism panic with backward playing record players and playing dungeons and dragons.
I actually think we had WAY more free range time than older kids because our moms weren’t at home—at least mine wasn’t—and our parents were more likely to be divorced. Single moms can only be in so many places at once.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I actually think we had WAY more free range time than older kids because our moms weren’t at home—at least mine wasn’t—and our parents were more likely to be divorced. Single moms can only be in so many places at once.
We had a stay at home Mom but once I hit HS her and my Dad were having relationship issues and she started to drink. Didn't get bad till I was almost out of HS so never effected any sort of childhood development. My younger probably effected a somewhat more. She'd start drinking in bed at noon so was pretty much afk. My Dad traveled so much for work we were definitely on our own. All that said both my parents were super supportive of me trying to make it music after HS.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
RIP Chromecast....https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/08/google-kills-chromecast-replaces-it-with-apple-tv-and-roku-ultra-competitor/

Google is discontinuing the Chromecast brand and pulling its Chromecast hardware off the market after 11 years, but it's not leaving the streaming-device business.

Rather, it's launching a new product called the Google TV Streamer that competes with high-end streaming boxes like the Apple TV or the Roku Ultra.

The new device is not a direct replacement for the Chromecast dongles, though, as it has a different design and is substantially more expensive. Google is replacing 2020's $50 4K Chromecast with Google TV USB dongle with an HDMI set-top box that costs $100.

Google is also discontinuing the HD-only Chromecast variant that launched at a lower $30 price point in 2022. It remains a possibility that Google will introduce a cheaper, HD-only version of this new set-top box, but we haven't heard anything about that just yet.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Zardoz always trips me out a bit.

Rollerball and the SW probably my favorite of that decade.
This is why SW was such a massive deal back in the late 70s and 80s. That's the competition it was going up against:
Rollerball, Planet of the Apes, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Battle Star Galactica, Star Trek TOS and the Star Trek motion pictures.
It blew that cheese away.

I hate it when millenials argue that GOT was as big to their generation as SW was to ours. Not even close. SW was all encompassing
back in the late 70s and early 80s.

Thats why for Gen Xers, the gradual collapse of that franchise (ie. the Prequels, the Sequels, and so forth) was so damn painful.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
This is why SW was such a massive deal back in the late 70s and 80s. That's the competition it was going up against:
Rollerball, Planet of the Apes, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Battle Star Galactica, Star Trek TOS and the Star Trek motion pictures.
It blew that cheese away.

I hate it when millenials argue that GOT was as big to their generation as SW was to ours. Not even close. SW was all encompassing
back in the late 70s and early 80s.

Thats why for Gen Xers, the gradual collapse of that franchise (ie. the Prequels, the Sequels, and so forth) was so damn painful.
I'll never complain about those who would never in a million years experience a fantasy series who ended up being GoT super fans. That said sci-fi demands a lot more of their fans than a medieval esque series to normals.

Was talking with someone close to my age about the SW prequels and what stood out for me was that the GenXers really didn't know ahead of time that that the prequel was for the millenials and not for the gen x'ers who were were not kids at that point. I just remember being flabergasted watching the phantom menace my brain really could not compute what I was seeing it was like a kids film with incredibly bad acting. The only thing I liked was the sound fx of the pod racers was pretty amazing. Yep just a sound effect.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
HOD season 2 was sufficiently good…..some awesome dragon scenes….another tragic bro on bro fight.
I intentionally waiting for the 4k blu-rays since HD audio really adds to the cinematic impact.

Also The Abyss 4k unless I mentioned it earlier is a ridiculously good transfer that they spent time on. Probably up with Bladerunner and 2001 for older movies. Apparently there is more controversy with the recent Aliens and True Lies 4k recent releases where film grain fan boys were getting bent out of shape (summary less grain on these new releases which I am fan of less is better). Its why I'm pretty careful on some older films and really wait to see how they get reviewed but it is disappointing to have so much film grain one wonders why they hell have it on 4k and generally blu-ray upscaling ends up looking better.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Late to the game, but somehow I’ve never seen Wolf of Wall Street.
I got mad at production and refused to watch it for a while but when I got to it wow that’s a good one.
I'll be honest never have seen it. At the time the topic just didn't do much for me. But yea do need to give it a watch.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Started the Bikeriders on Peacock

Was surprised to see it was already out on the streams for free

It’s long, but it’s pretty good looking to finish it today

Update: That was a really good movie. I would say it’s like Goodfellas for biker gangs.

It is quite violent and definitely R rated. So you’ll have to be in the mood for this one.

As someone who gets to vote on it I now have everyone involved in that movie on award watch as contenders

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Romancing the Stone - rewatch .. my kid enjoyed it. A solid paint-by-numbers 80's fun action rom com

Monkey Man - real excited to watch this. Got Peacock streaming for Olympics and this movie and I just ran out of the Olympics

Lost - uggh f*** me. Fam was stream scrolling not finding anything so we went with a rewatch of Lost. My kid liked the pilot so we'll plug away when we dont have anything else to watch

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00