OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Fallout - really good, really well done production .. the vault storyline was the most interesting

Did season 1 storyline follow the video game storyline?
No, totally original story, just set in the Fallout universe and using some of the locations from different games.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Leave the World Behind - 3/5 .... I got the impression it was an "end of the world" scenario with about 8 main characters of very different personalities and we the viewer are supposed to pick who we assimilate to.

I get the feeling we werent supposed to ask too many questions about what is the cause of the "end of the world" scenario our characters are placed in and focus on the after "what would you do" ... and thats fine but then the director would add false flag things that would brig our attention back to what is causing this. Gathering deer .. the teeth fallling out ...

Audience scores were brutal and even picking up on it being a "fun dont ask too many questions" type movie ... I agree with the audience scores.

---------

Fallout - really good, really well done production .. the vault storyline was the most interesting

Did season 1 storyline follow the video game storyline?
How did you get that impression?

Sometimes you just gotta believe and not ask too many deep questions to enjoy some material.

I am a firm believer in NOT watching trailers and going into movies blind if I can. Typically I have some understanding and if I saw a trailer, I might only watch the first 30 seconds to gauge interest, then stop watching. Too many spoilers and plot reveals in trailers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
How did you get that impression?

Sometimes you just gotta believe and not ask too many deep questions to enjoy some material.

I am a firm believer in NOT watching trailers and going into movies blind if I can. Typically I have some understanding and if I saw a trailer, I might only watch the first 30 seconds to gauge interest, then stop watching. Too many spoilers and plot reveals in trailers.
Impression that it was an "end of the world" premise (i guess end of america more precise) or impression the viewer was supposed to associate with one of the 8 or so main characters?

I got the feeling the director made his characters simple and obvious. You have the laid back dad who takes it easy, the uptight mom who takes it opposite of easy .. second set is the the logical smart but sympathetic dad with his logical unsympathetic daughter .. kevin bacon is the doomsday prepper dad

Felt like it was a "if you were a parent in this situation .. which parent would you be?"

Maybe im trying to find something fun in the movie that wasnt really there

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
The Electrical Life of Louis Wain - 3.5/5 for me. Was hoping for more wit and dry humor but it was for the most part a love story. Wife and daughter liked it more than me.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Someone recommended Letterkenny (hulu) worth the watch?

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it and Shoresy both. Keeso has his own brand of humor that he goes all-in on, and it works. Totally unique.

Keeso is like an even further under-the-radar Tim Robinson, who caught fire recently with his I Think You Should Leave show on Netflix. That one blew up big, but I gotta admit it didn't quite capture my attention the way Letterkenny and Shoresy did. Might just be my predisposition for hockey and shitkicker humor, but overall I thought Robinson's show was trying too hard to be different, where LK and Shoresy just are what they are.

Still, they're all worth a watch if you're looking for half-hour comedies that aren't the cookie-cutter stuff most shows are these days.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. Shoresy is right up my alley but I could never get into Letterkenny
1720655008843.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Impression that it was an "end of the world" premise (i guess end of america more precise) or impression the viewer was supposed to associate with one of the 8 or so main characters?

I got the feeling the director made his characters simple and obvious. You have the laid back dad who takes it easy, the uptight mom who takes it opposite of easy .. second set is the the logical smart but sympathetic dad with his logical unsympathetic daughter .. kevin bacon is the doomsday prepper dad

Felt like it was a "if you were a parent in this situation .. which parent would you be?"

Maybe im trying to find something fun in the movie that wasnt really there
Yeah, the whole 8 character association thing….I knew it was an end of the world type movie, that’s all. Did you read about it before seeing it?

I actually enjoyed it for what it was (that’s a whole other large convo…..I believe to truly enjoy the cinema, a viewer needs to be able to view movies for what they are, or what they’re attempting to be). It didn’t blow my socks off, but was well enough acted and I tend to like those movies where it’s one room, or one setting the entire time. It’s one of those movies where I’d like to see another movie with the macro view of events….kinda like what we see a taste of in the most recent Quiet Place prequel….

The Electrical Life of Louis Wain - 3.5/5 for me. Was hoping for more wit and dry humor but it was for the most part a love story. Wife and daughter liked it more than me.
That sounds so painful to sit through….lol….Fresh on Rotten though….and a strong cast.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, the whole 8 character association thing….I knew it was an end of the world type movie, that’s all. Did you read about it before seeing it?

I actually enjoyed it for what it was (that’s a whole other large convo…..I believe to truly enjoy the cinema, a viewer needs to be able to view movies for what they are, or what they’re attempting to be). It didn’t blow my socks off, but was well enough acted and I tend to like those movies where it’s one room, or one setting the entire time. It’s one of those movies where I’d like to see another movie with the macro view of events….kinda like what we see a taste of in the most recent Quiet Place prequel….

That sounds so painful to sit through….lol….Fresh on Rotten though….and a strong cast.
That was where it needed to stay if it was going to work for me, and they really botched that part in my opinion. The most compelling angle was the psychological "horror" aspect of co-existing with people they don't know or trust, all the nitpicking of details and stories to try and suss out the truth (and then what to do about it) is a tight story you can tell in a bottle and works because people go crazy.

The moment they leave the house and then end up coming back it's like the film just released the valve on all the pressure they'd been storing up and doesn't get it back. It doesn't really become much of a character conflict or a shift in the balance of power, the homeowner is basically just like "oh hey guys, welcome back, shame it didn't go well" and leaves the matter essentially settled, but everything afterwards was less compelling

It's got the template of 2-3 different stories but they clash with each other in a way that left me feeling like they didn't really tell one at all. It's got LOST vibes in that way, there's stuff for your brain to chew on with these individual premises but not enough time/ability to tie it all together, so as you approach the end of the runtime it doesn't feel like you're strapped in for the ride so much as watching from the outside trying to keep track of X, Y, and Z from earlier and put the parts together in a way that is satisfying. That's a shame, because the film should be doing that for you and it's not like this one is lacking interesting premises and visuals.

I'm also willing to hand-wave a lot of stuff when I'm having fun watching something, but when I'm not I start really noticing things like a man being incapable of seeing more than about a foot in front of him until he's standing in a plane crash (and other visual/direction decisions like that) or the kind of crazy decision to go get magic un-sick pills for a mystery illness, and those started to pile up.

edit: I watched a recap video to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious and way too many interviews with the director and cast are answered with "well that's really open to interpretation" and I get wanting room in your art for commentary but this isn't a choose your own adventure film, that can't be the answer to a lot of the questions.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That was where it needed to stay if it was going to work for me, and they really botched that part in my opinion. The most compelling angle was the psychological "horror" aspect of co-existing with people they don't know or trust, all the nitpicking of details and stories to try and suss out the truth (and then what to do about it) is a tight story you can tell in a bottle and works because people go crazy.

The moment they leave the house and then end up coming back it's like the film just released the valve on all the pressure they'd been storing up and doesn't get it back. It doesn't really become much of a character conflict or a shift in the balance of power, the homeowner is basically just like "oh hey guys, welcome back, shame it didn't go well" and leaves the matter essentially settled, but everything afterwards was less compelling

It's got the template of 2-3 different stories but they clash with each other in a way that left me feeling like they didn't really tell one at all. It's got LOST vibes in that way, there's stuff for your brain to chew on with these individual premises but not enough time/ability to tie it all together, so as you approach the end of the runtime it doesn't feel like you're strapped in for the ride so much as watching from the outside trying to keep track of X, Y, and Z from earlier and put the parts together in a way that is satisfying. That's a shame, because the film should be doing that for you and it's not like this one is lacking interesting premises and visuals.

I'm also willing to hand-wave a lot of stuff when I'm having fun watching something, but when I'm not I start really noticing things like a man being incapable of seeing more than about a foot in front of him until he's standing in a plane crash (and other visual/direction decisions like that) or the kind of crazy decision to go get magic un-sick pills for a mystery illness, and those started to pile up.

edit: I watched a recap video to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious and way too many interviews with the director and cast are answered with "well that's really open to interpretation" and I get wanting room in your art for commentary but this isn't a choose your own adventure film, that can't be the answer to a lot of the questions.
I definitely agree with that part….I don’t think it sunk the movie, but it was inconsistent for what I thought the movie was trying to be.

I think I gave it 3 out of 5 stars which in my scale is slightly better than average. I can say I was entertained for that time at least to some extent.

Reactions: HTFN and Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

Dang well said .. you should write reviews. The tension and drama of "untrust" when the homeowners showed up was intense. I told my wife theres a really good tension thriller plot there if they had just kept the movie on that line .. but then yeah, they start leaving the house, like Lost they introduce false red herrings to "keep you guessing" .. and thats where a lot of the audience reviews say "starts good then plot trails off"

I didnt like the ending 30 mins but I did like the last min of it.

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I definitely agree with that part….I don’t think it sunk the movie, but it was inconsistent for what I thought the movie was trying to be.

I think I gave it 3 out of 5 stars which in my scale is slightly better than average. I can say I was entertained for that time at least to some extent.
There are so many pieces of it that want to work that I was at like an 8/10 for the first half hour, maybe 45 minutes or so. It was giving me a lot of the starting threads to chew on and I was happy to take them and theorize (hell, at one point early on I thought Kevin Bacon was from the the future) and I was ready for something super trippy.

"Us" is sort of similar to what I thought this would be, as a contained psychological/survival horror with some fictional or sci-fi undertones, at a certain point I was on board for virtually anything because they'd put a lot of threads out there

I was on the fence until maybe 20 minutes from the end, only because I knew it had no time left and wasn't going to resolve a damn thing. Like, even after they lost what I thought was the best dynamic I was still fishing for angles to justify the actions of the film for the film, and then eventually just realized it wasn't going to go anywhere meaningful for me. I was trying harder to fill in the blanks than it was, and that's not where you should be leading into the final act.

I know it's all subjective but this, for me, was like the media equivalent of watching someone being painted into a corner. You keep thinking "oh they know what they're doing, there's going to be a plan and payoff here and this will end up some trendy cool thing" and then eventually it ends with them sort of trapped and you being like "well yeah... wait that's it?"

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Quiet Place Day One - 4/5, good well done action movie, like a steak from texas roadhouse = meets expectations ... better than QP 2 and not as good as the orig ..

House of Dragon - 2 episodes in .. really wish I could call a sick day and binge a few episodes in a row o get caught up

There is still something special about getting to the couch on a sunday night after the kids are down to watch some GOT type show

Reactions: PlushMinus and Jags

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Im holding out for Dragons s2 so I can binge it. I hate waiting a another week for a cliff hanger.

Im working on some Hulu shows. Im half way through Shorsey s3 Its might be the best season yet. The Bear s3 is next up. I have Hulu with commercials and its awful.
Tried watching Clipped and dont think im going to finish it. Def not worth the Ads lol

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Im holding out for Dragons s2 so I can binge it. I hate waiting a another week for a cliff hanger.

Im working on some Hulu shows. Im half way through Shorsey s3 Its might be the best season yet. The Bear s3 is next up. I have Hulu with commercials and its awful.
Tried watching Clipped and dont think im going to finish it. Def not worth the Ads lol
If you stream Hulu through computer browser with ad blockers, you can skip right over the commercials. Streaming Hulu thru TV app is a PITA. 3 mins unskippable ads ever 7-8 mins.

No, I will not be asking my doctor about the HIV prevention pill. Just let me binge LetterKenny

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Ghostbusters Afterlife (2021) - 2.5/5 .... 63% critic score and a 94% audience score? Da fuq .. watched it during the day as something on and man it was like going 45 mph in a 45 mph zone for 2 hours.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Omega Man rocks .. wish Tarantino or someone of a deviant mind would do a re-make but make it diiirty as f***. Never saw or heard of Soylent Green .. might try to find it tonight

HOD watched ep 4 last night .. f*** yeah! GOT is back on the menu boys

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad