Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points in 31 VHL games

7 goals, 12 assists, 19 points in 68 KHL games

22 goals, 24 assists, 46 points in 82 AHL games

3 goals, 9 assists, 12 points in 21 WJC games

18 goals, 17 assists, 35 points in 135 NHL games.

I've been meaning to make this post for awhile. Has a guy who has been unproductive as Podkolzin ever been given this much leeway? Dude has stone hands, and constantly flubs the puck. His only saving grace is he's semi physical and he's strong, but other than that he has absolutely 0 offensive creativity or IQ. Glad I don't have to read about how he might break out anymore lmao.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I like this deal

4th > nothing

Oilers make space to match the Broberg OS which screws up their cap and he was really bad analytically in the playoffs, opening up Bouch to an offer sheet, and ruining cap plans for McDrai

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Weak point in our amateur European scouting (who otherwise pull their weight in the organization unlike Delorme & Co.). Though much of that I guess is a holdover from the Gillis regime who didn't seem to place too high a priority (for good or bad reasons) in drafting Russians.
The 'weak point' is Benning and his awful drafting. Just another pick from that era who flopped, at least as far as the Canucks are concerned.

Any time you're forced to trade a former top-10 pick in Podkolzin for a fourth round draft pick, just to dump a $1m salary, it's an epic fail. But clearly the current Canucks front office is convinced this kid will never be able to help them. I guess his disappearing act once he did get back to the NHL last spring, was the final straw.

But what does it mean for Edmonton? That they're walking away from both Broberg and Holloway, and replacing the latter with a younger, cheaper contract? And what does it portend for the Canucks?. Are they clearing some space for another guy out there that they like? Or are going to give Lekkerimaki a long, long look in training camp?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I kinda get the trade rationale but the timing is weird. Hopefully setting up another move or signing...
it has to be. kind of allvins Mo. i guess we shall wait and see how training camp sets out. 4-5 preseason games for the kids to make an impression then alvin will probbalyt make a move before the regular season. hes been doing that 2x already during his tenure as GM. latest one was pearson for desmith last season.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I was hoping he'd have one more chance to prove himself at camp.

Guess they dont really dont think much of the previous managemen's draft picks.

I guess AGM Milstein loses his job too now?
Since you mentioned Milstein ...

My reaction to this deal was that there is little if any upside for the Canucks other than being seen to do a player a solid by moving him to a winner where he actually has a decent chance to win a roster spot. It wouldn't even surprise me if there were some talks with AGM Milstein about it.

If there is value here for the Canucks it may be the possibility of an effect on future signings of being seen as a place that will try to find a player an opportunity when things aren't working out for him in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points in 31 VHL games

7 goals, 12 assists, 19 points in 68 KHL games

22 goals, 24 assists, 46 points in 82 AHL games

3 goals, 9 assists, 12 points in 21 WJC games

18 goals, 17 assists, 35 points in 135 NHL games.

I've been meaning to make this post for awhile. Has a guy who has been unproductive as Podkolzin ever been given this much leeway? Dude has stone hands, and constantly flubs the puck. His only saving grace is he's semi physical and he's strong, but other than that he has absolutely 0 offensive creativity or IQ. Glad I don't have to read about how he might break out anymore lmao.
He's a Russian version of Puljujarvi. You could ask AI to show you one of them and with the funny little mistakes and differences those AI generators spit out it'd just as likely show you the other guy. And not really be wrong.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Drafted same draft as Hoglander who was a later first and took a while to develop. That just shows how far Pod has fallen off as a draft pick. Oh well at least we got a player in that first round.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I guess AGM Milstein loses his job too now?

Since you mentioned Milstein ...

My reaction to this deal was that there is little if any upside for the Canucks other than being seen to do a player a solid by moving him to a winner where he actually has a decent chance to win a roster spot. It wouldn't even surprise me if there were some talks with AGM Milstein about it.

If there is value here for the Canucks it may be the possibility of an effect on future signings of being seen as a place that will try to find a player an opportunity when things aren't working out for him in Vancouver.

FYI — Podkolzin has never been represented by Dan Milstein. He’s been with Newport the whole time in North America.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Strange trade - made even stranger that management inked him to a 2 year extension just 4 months ago.

It's pretty obvious that guys like PDG, Aman and maybe even Bains/Sasson have passed him on the depth chart.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Not very high on Podkolzin, when you can't get ice time over PDG, you're pretty bad.

That being said, I'm not sure I was "ditch him for a 4th rounder" low on him, but it does clear a nice chunk of salary. Will depend on what they do with the space (ie. bank it, use it, etc.).

A bit weird from an Oilers perspective considering their salary cap conundrum though.

He's probably a Holloway replacement and they're letting him walk.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad