Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I guess they wanted to keep pdg with the team. Sounds like they made the decision that pods was the odd man out before camp

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It would have been nice if he'd managed to work out but at this point, his value could only drop and we'd have to risk losing him for nothing. I'll take a 4th round pick over nothing even with that meaning we send him to Edmonton.

Best of luck Podz. May you find your confidence again someday.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
a 4th is more than i thought they'd get for him but i guess edmonton are kind of desperate

i don't think it's certain podkolzin is a bust but you can't wait around forever for players to figure it out. if vancouver weren't going to play him they needed to move him. a 4th isn't much but it's something

Based on last season, I think it's pretty certain he's a bust. Just doesn't have it. Maybe he has some great summer, I dunno, but he has been bad recently.

Reactions: Nomobo and calnuck

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Podkolzin wasn’t this management’s baby. No sunk cost fallacy.

After the moves they made this off-season—they probably view this as an opportunity redeem some value for him and clear a contract spot over the next two years too.

They know what he is and the fact that they let him go to their greatest divisional rival for this next season is a pretty damning indictment of how expendable they perceived him to be. Frankly, I’m surprised that they could get a 4th for him. Maybe they saw it as an opportunity to take advantage of Stan Bowman.

They probably want the flexibility for the upcoming season too—but I’d say there’s a slight chance they still have something cooking before training camp.
theres always something cooking before training camp.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A shame. I thought at one point he was going to be a solid third liner and then he regressed the last two years where he had trouble sticking in Vancouver. At the end of the day I think he may still carve out a spot as a fourth line player but there’s just too many players ahead of him in Vancouver.
Scored 14 goals and had 26 points in 79 games one year and then the next two years combined in 58 games scored 4 goals and had 9 points.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Given his waiver status, this was a sensible move. Wanted Pods to work out for us at the NHL level, but it was more wishful thinking than reality. Says a lot that they traded him to our closest rival.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Trade makes sense, he wasn't tracking to be more than a 4th liner imo. When they signed Sprong the dye was cast.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
With Aman replacing Podkolzin and a full 23/23 roster, that puts this team at 0.19m in cap space to start the season. However, with a 22/23 roster and Aman waived they are at 1.01m in space. Still, I suspect they''ll find a way to move Poolman. Wouldn't be surprised if they move Poolman + 4th for slightly undesirable contract just like with the Pearson + 3rd for DeSmith trade.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Time and time again it has proven to be true - trade your top prospects who are not performing well early and often.

I suggested trading pods for a 1st in 2021 and was mostly met with incredulity. But over and over again history has shown us that if you take a guy in the first round and he stumbles out of the gate, you are better off recycling him for a new 1st round pick than wasting 4 seasons "developing" him before dumping him for nothing. It was true about Olli Juolevi before him and Jake Virtanen before that (Brendan Gaunce, Nicklas Jensen, etc etc etc.)

Sure there will always be counter examples but 80--90% of the time this is the play. My disappointment here is only that they hung onto him for as long as they did.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Think this will come back to bite us in the ass.

Amazed we couldn’t get more, and hate it being the oilers.

I would have thought we could have gotten a. 2nd from the OIl, it is likely going to be a late one.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I said it before, guy just doesn't produce, and he never has at any level.

It was a head scratcher taking him when Boldy, and Caufield where still on the board. Juolevi, Virtanen, Podkolzin. #5, #6, and #10 in their respective drafts, if they became even serviceable NHL'ers or future is so much brighter.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Weak point in our amateur European scouting (who otherwise pull their weight in the organization unlike Delorme & Co.). Though much of that I guess is a holdover from the Gillis regime who didn't seem to place too high a priority (for good or bad reasons) in drafting Russians.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

It was a head scratcher taking him when Boldy, and Caufield where still on the board. Juolevi, Virtanen, Podkolzin. #5, #6, and #10 in their respective drafts, if they became even serviceable NHL'ers or future is so much brighter.
For a GM that regularly picked in the top 10, Benning sure has picked a lot of stinkers

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Poolman likely gets moved for a pick, which allows us to accrue cap into the season.

I have a feeling Edm just allows both offer sheets to go to Stl, 20 man rosters isn’t gonna be a thing, trading Ceci means losing a 20min/night RHD.

Reactions: credulous

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Think this will come back to bite us in the ass.

Amazed we couldn’t get more, and hate it being the oilers.

I would have thought we could have gotten a. 2nd from the OIl, it is likely going to be a late one.
A 2nd? How? He’s a top 10 pick and doesn’t even have that good of numbers in Abby for the caliber of player he is suppose to be.

He’s a depth player at best and it remains to be seen if he can even be that.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Even still, if we had given up on those three guys when they were still worth something, we'd have given ourselves opportunities to correct the mistake.

Bad draft picks are an inevitability, but the ability to recognize your mistake and course correct rather than continuously investing into a sunk cost in my opinion is a more important skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad