Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I kind to figured Podkolzin would end up being traded this offseason, I just figured it would be for a player and not a mid-range pick. I never thought he was going to have much value. Buys them more flexibility for training camp or handle injuries.
Yeah, I don’t take issue with the value. Like you say would have made more sense if it were for a player. If not then would have expected they’d hold onto him to see where his game is at come training camp given the contract they gave him.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I kind to figured Podkolzin would end up being traded this offseason, I just figured it would be for a player and not a mid-range pick. I never thought he was going to have much value. Buys them more flexibility for training camp or handle injuries.

I thought, at the outset, he was in the plans. But then we signed a whole slew of depth forwards and it became harder to see where on the depth chart he would fit, short of having an amazing camp and beating a clear favourite out of a spot.

Can’t say I’m thrilled with his destination. The return is probably about right, and he’s a good buy low candidate for Edmonton - although a strange time for them to add salary.

Reactions: Indiana and Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not very high on Podkolzin, when you can't get ice time over PDG, you're pretty bad.

That being said, I'm not sure I was "ditch him for a 4th rounder" low on him, but it does clear a nice chunk of salary. Will depend on what they do with the space (ie. bank it, use it, etc.).

A bit weird from an Oilers perspective considering their salary cap conundrum though.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don’t get it at all. Taking a chance on him and potentially losing him on waivers would have been a better bet.

Edit to add. Maybe clearing a contract slot for something to follow?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Podkolzin wasn’t this management’s baby. No sunk cost fallacy.

After the moves they made this off-season—they probably view this as an opportunity redeem some value for him and clear a contract spot over the next two years too.

They know what he is and the fact that they let him go to their greatest divisional rival for this next season is a pretty damning indictment of how expendable they perceived him to be. Frankly, I’m surprised that they could get a 4th for him. Maybe they saw it as an opportunity to take advantage of Stan Bowman.

They probably want the flexibility for the upcoming season too—but I’d say there’s a slight chance they still have something cooking before training camp.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
This doesn't seem like something they needed to do right now and could have waited to see how he looked at camp. I think this is a bad move

Reactions: quat

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Edmonton is a great landing spot for him. His IQ and willingness to battle defensively is going to get him in the lineup, and maybe he'll adjust to the speed and backchecking pressure of the NHL with more ice time. I hope he succeeds there.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This doesn't seem like something they needed to do right now and could have waited to see how he looked at camp. I think this is a bad move

It may lead to another move, but I could equally see it used to just accrue cap space. Podkolzin is basically a bust, so no issue either way for me.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Edmonton is a great landing spot for him. His IQ and willingness to battle defensively is going to get him in the lineup, and maybe he'll adjust to the speed and backchecking pressure of the NHL with more ice time. I hope he succeeds there.

I think it’s a solid move from Edmonton’s perspective (which I kind of hate, LOL). It’s buy low - if he ends up exceeding expectations, that’s a huge win. If he amounts to what he’s been, the price was very low and his cap hit is easily buried.

While it was hard to see where he fit here, it’s tough to see him go to a divisional rival for peanuts. I wonder if we have something else cooking that made the Canucks decide now was the time to pull the trigger. Or, if the press are speculating, this really was a move to simply beat the market and not lose a guy on waivers in the fall.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, I foresaw something like this happening. Too much of a logjam at forward. The Canucks will see have to waive likely one of Aman or PDG, and that's assuming none of our younger forward prospects get a sniff at making the big club.

So they clear contract and space, get something of a return, and could potentially get a Schultz for the same price without dipping into LTIR, if I'm not mistaken? Or maybe they use the 4th rounder to help move off of Poolman?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
a 4th is more than i thought they'd get for him but i guess edmonton are kind of desperate

i don't think it's certain podkolzin is a bust but you can't wait around forever for players to figure it out. if vancouver weren't going to play him they needed to move him. a 4th isn't much but it's something

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wow..thats a bit of a showstopper..I thought they had a longer term plan for the player.?

I was rooting for the kid from the start, but I guess it demonstrates that pro hockey is a business, and this asset had run it's course...Pity.

Reactions: Indiana

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Not a fan of this. Would have preferred rolling the dice on him in pre-season. But I guess with all the forwards they signed there was no room.
there was never room, once alvin signed all those guys like henien/sherwood,sprong, who is pods gonna beat out for those bottom 6 spots? he doesnt pk is physical sometimes but his head isnt always in the game. im not surprised. dont think alvin is done. still gonna Find that LHD defenseman somewhere. trade poolmans caphit to somebody

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad