Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign RD Vincent Desharnais 2-Year, $2M AAV Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Funny, the floor hockey guys and crappy media nerds don't like the signing. Anyhow, Willander is on the way and there will probably be a trade or two before camp. I think I'll give this management group the benefit of the doubt. It would be interesting to see what Toc and Foote thought of Desharnais to have him sign here. They must think he has more to give.

Reactions: Lindgren

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think the management look at this signing solely from a playoffs perspective and I agree with them

Sure he will bleed goals and make mistakes in the regular season more often than you like, but when playoffs come, his size and physicality will become a weapon between whistles.

We saw how effective Myers was in the playoffs because of his size, I’m officially on the Vinny Desharnais train.

The other weird thing about this is where is his PK time coming from? Myers/Hronek were staples on the right side, and they have the left side filled out too with Forbert and Soucy.

Just such a strange signing for me, it felt super clear that the final spot should be someone who can move the puck efficiently, especially if they want to slot in two dmen on PP2 again (Soucy should never see PP time on any power play serious about scoring).

What happens if Hughes ever misses a game?
I think they will take Hronek off the PK so they can use him more on the offensive side

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Allvin clearly likes giving these 2 year deals to guys with not that much NHL experience (Suter/Joshua/Sherwood/Desharnais) that he feels has another gear. It's generally been a good strategy but I don't like the fit here.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I think the management look at this signing solely from a playoffs perspective and I agree with them

Sure he will bleed goals and make mistakes in the regular season more often than you like, but when playoffs come, his size and physicality will become a weapon between whistles.

We saw how effective Myers was in the playoffs because of his size, I’m officially on the Vinny Desharnais train.

I think they will take Hronek off the PK so they can use him more on the offensive side

That just takes away minutes from him unless he magically ends up on PP1, which would make us the only team in the league running two dmen on PP1.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
This signing reeks of trying to replace Zadorov. But not once when the Canucks have played the Oilers have I ever felt Dasharnais provided much of a punishing game like Zadorov.

Reactions: Jack Burton and dez

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Decent bottom pairing guy.

Myers is still in the top 4 and the bueline is slow and vulnerable.
Vinny is a lot of things, but slow isn't one of them. Like nobody that big is going to have great acceleration or edgework, but his straight line speed is actually quite good. I don't mind this kind of a project considering what they've done with Juulsen and Myers

Reactions: Nomobo and Lindgren

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020

He only play 16 of the 25 games for Edmonton in the playoffs had 1 assist and was a -9. What playoffs are you talking about? Was he good in junior in the playoffs?

dez

Mar 3, 2012
This signing reeks of trying to replace Zadorov. But not once when the Canucks have played the Oilers have I ever felt Dasharnais provided much of a punishing game like Zadorov.
Because he's too slow to make the hits Zadorov did. I cant believe out of all the signings,they overpay this guy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Put Debrusk and Heinan with Miller for a good match-up line, and move Boeser back to Petey's wing with Hogs?
Ya maybe that works hard to say but I just feel we added too much to the middle bottom 6 and Podz getting resigned seems pointless now.

I have no problem with DeBrusk playing on the second line but not so sure about Heinan.

The thing that bugs me is that we now used all of our cap space and have we really made our team that much better for a deep run?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Vinny is a lot of things, but slow isn't one of them. Like nobody that big is going to have great acceleration or edgework, but his straight line speed is actually quite good. I don't mind this kind of a project considering what they've done with Juulsen and Myers

Desharnais does have wheels, you're right. Still, it's because they already have Myers and Juulsen as projects that I'm a bit confused by this one? They don't need more of the same.

Unless they plan on moving Juulsen, that is.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Desharnais does have wheels, you're right. Still, it's because they already have Myers and Juulsen as projects that I'm a bit confused by this one? They don't need more of the same.

Makes under 800K so his entire cap hit can be buried in Abby. I think he'll be the 'black ace' if kept 'on the roster'/if not, sent to Abby (as insurance callup)

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

I think they'll carry 8.....and they have that many signed.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I slagged him all playoffs and he was bad the previous year too. At least he's still on the right side of 30. Obviously size is good but never been impressed with him.

He was a lot better this playoffs (but still not great as you can see from him playing only one game vs FLA and 3 vs DAL). I remember the previous year he was just getting absolutely torched by Vegas.

Hopefully Foote can do something with him and defencemen seem to last a bit longer in the league but he's not a spring chicken. He is a right shot which is good.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Ugh, as the other signings come together - maybe we should've just given Z his money and rolled the dice on Juulsen/Friedman until the deadline. Forbort-Deshairnais signings are literally trying to replace Z's quality with quantity and that's never a winning formula.

Reactions: VanCanucks53

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I don't see the defense being any worse, puck movement with Cole and especially zadorov was not quick either, zadorov was big but slow moving the puck, he used his body well and has a good shot, I think the problem is they just recreated a physical big defense on the back end at a cheaper price when some felt they needed more puck movement instead.

Puck moving possibly got better with Forbort & Desharnais over Cole & Zadorov, we lost a bit of muscle on the back end as both Cole & Big Z had a lot of weight on their frames and were thick and bulky, but mobility and puck moving wasn’t a strong point.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Ya maybe that works hard to say but I just feel we added too much to the middle bottom 6 and Podz getting resigned seems pointless now.

I have no problem with DeBrusk playing on the second line but not so sure about Heinan.

The thing that bugs me is that we now used all of our cap space and have we really made our team that much better for a deep run?
To me heinen moves garland or Joshua off the 3rd line, he can fill in that 3rd line spot. Garland is a top 6 forward playing on the 3rd simply because tocchet loved that line he can play in the top 6 or certainly has the ability. He's a top 6 forward on almost any team in the league with what he can bring.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad