Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign RD Vincent Desharnais 2-Year, $2M AAV Contract

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I like the player. I don’t mind the contract. He’d be fine if they didn’t just sign Forbort. A big reason the previous regime’s defensive schemes failed was the defence couldn’t get the puck to the forwards cleanly.

Kylington-Desharnais would have been great but any combination of the bottom-4 we have leaves a lot to be desired. Soucy is the best at cleanly exiting the zone and Myers can make a good pass with time but the two added today can’t really do much more than puck off the glass.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I like the player. I don’t mind the contract. He’d be fine if they didn’t just sign Forbort. A big reason the previous regime’s defensive schemes failed was the defence couldn’t get the puck to the forwards cleanly.

Kylington-Desharnais would have been great but any combination of the bottom-4 we have leaves a lot to be desired. Soucy is the best at cleanly exiting the zone and Myers can make a good pass with time but the two added today can’t really do much more than puck off the glass.
Exactly, they’re both redundant. Either one could replace Cole’s role on the PK. What the playoffs made apparent is they needed another RD that could exit the zone effectively or move the puck quicker.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm of the opinion that this group is running with the "can't teach size", and feel they can teach these players over a season how to move and support the puck more effectively.

Given the improvement of Myers, Zadorov and Juulsen, you'd have to think there's something to it. You upgrade at the trade deadline and see if anything is available from your farm. Large and durable.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
On the whole I think we might have the least talented puck moving defense core in the league right now, while also having the best individual one. Impressive.
They drafted another 2 versions of giant, lack of puck moving D at the end of the draft this year as well.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
I mean... at least we stay big and physical on the blue-line...

Myers - 6'8 (229)
Desharnais - 6'7 (226)
Soucy - 6'5 (208)
Forbort - 6'4 (216)

Juulsen - 6'2 (201)

Hronek - 6'0 (190)
Hughes - 5'10 (180)

That is a lot of size and sandpaper. Definitely need to think about splitting up Hughes and Hronek for puck movement and zone exits though.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They drafted another 2 versions of giant, lack of puck moving D at the end of the draft this year as well.

I was thinking the same: This reflects their draft tendencies as well. At forward, it's the smart scorers. On defense, it's the bigger toolsy players.

I also think that they probably view Desharnais as another Joshua-type project.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I mean... at least we stay big and physical on the blue-line...

Myers - 6'8 (229)
Desharnais - 6'7 (226)
Soucy - 6'5 (208)
Forbort - 6'4 (216)

Juulsen - 6'2 (201)

Hronek - 6'0 (190)
Hughes - 5'10 (180)

That is a lot of size and sandpaper. Definitely need to think about splitting up Hughes and Hronek for puck movement and zone exits though.
Does size really matter if they can't play hockey? Lol

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I was thinking the same: This reflects their draft tendencies as well. At forward, it's the smart scorers. On defense, it's the bigger toolsy players.

I also think that they probably view Desharnais as another Joshua-type project.
Dorrington and Celebrini previous years in the 6th. Nobody is really talking about them but many have praised the Kudryavtsev pick. The latter picks are similar to 7th round Vinny Desharnais lol.

I think the forwards they drafted this year were a bit different than the previous ones. It seems as if the forwards they picked this year had low floors, higher ceilings where as Perkins, Gardner, Mueller seemed to be high floor, low ceiling type forwards.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
The other weird thing about this is where is his PK time coming from? Myers/Hronek were staples on the right side, and they have the left side filled out too with Forbert and Soucy.

Just such a strange signing for me, it felt super clear that the final spot should be someone who can move the puck efficiently, especially if they want to slot in two dmen on PP2 again (Soucy should never see PP time on any power play serious about scoring).

What happens if Hughes ever misses a game?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You can't teach size. Outside of certain bounds you can't teach people to play hockey either. The top pairing is going to get run ragged in the first 30-40 games again. Not that there were great alternatives under 5M.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I wonder if they want forbort as more a 7 d, bit rich but you know there will be injuries and maybe they did not like juulsen or Friedman that much. Dreger posted after this signing they still have a bit of cap space and could make another depth move. Not sure what they might be thinking yet, guess we will see.

Harman said he thought Vinny was bad last year (22-23) and took a big stride to be a good 6 d this year so he thinks there banking on more upside. But the profile just seems a bit odd where they signed just purely big defense without any concern for other areas. Will be interesting if there's another signing or move made yet in the off-season.

Reactions: bossram

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad