Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Kirill Kudryavtsev to ELC

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What impressed me about Kudryavtsev tonight is how effective he was along the wall. The Oilers play a hard forechecking style, focused on punishing d-men in the offensive zone and reclaiming the puck.

But Kiril was able to absorb a lot of those hits and make a safe, effective pass out of his own zone. Went back and checked his Hockey DB profile.

He's listed at only 6', but 202. He's built like a fire-hydrant. Thanks to his strong pre-season, he's a lock for Abbotsford......and could even get some NHL callups if he keeps progressing. Almost unheard of for a 7th round draft pick who could still play junior hockey this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: BluesyShoes

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Kirill, he can break the puck out under heat, that kid,” said Tocchet. “I can’t pronounce his last name — you’ve gotta help me out — but I’m really impressed with him.”

• Haha
Reactions: DarrenX

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kudryavtsev will be an interesting guy to to follow in Abbotsford in the early going. Tocchet doesn't very often hand out glowing praise to young d-men. But this 20-year old kid has earned the accolades,

If he continues to process the game at a high rate and deliver some of those nifty head-man passes, I could actually see him getting into some NHL games this year. He brings to the table something the Canucks sorely lack, lower down on their blueline--a fairly skilled, puck-moving d-man.

Of course I seem recall that last year Cole McWard got an extended look in training camp and was actually kept around and played one regular season game. But landed back in Abbotsford, where his season was pretty 'average'. So you really never know until they drop the puck.

Reactions: PavelBure10

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
He was solid in the OHL. I was disappointed last year because I thought his game would take another step offensively but it just didn't. However, he has a lot of tools and seems like he will be easy to work with and develop, so I'm optimistic about him

He's not slam dunk by any means, but he has decent tools and a good toolbox and his skating doesn't suck. So it's all good jumping off points for a 20 year old. I'll watch him closely in Abby this year

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kudryavtsev will be an interesting guy to to follow in Abbotsford in the early going. Tocchet doesn't very often hand out glowing praise to young d-men. But this 20-year old kid has earned the accolades,

If he continues to process the game at a high rate and deliver some of those nifty head-man passes, I could actually see him getting into some NHL games this year. He brings to the table something the Canucks sorely lack, lower down on their blueline--a fairly skilled, puck-moving d-man.

Of course I seem recall that last year Cole McWard got an extended look in training camp and was actually kept around and played one regular season game. But landed back in Abbotsford, where his season was pretty 'average'. So you really never know until they drop the puck.

I might be in the minority here, but it's his defense that impresses me the most. He's so calm, poised, in position, great stick, and smart.

It's his IQ both offensively and defensively that impress me. I really do think this kid is a sleeper, his coaches have loved him at every level for a reason. Call me crazy, but if he became a premiere top 4 defenseman in the NHL it would great, but not surprising. His IQ + Compete level is very Tanev like.

Reactions: alternate

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
the exact type of late round pick you like to see. I’m not to sure what to make of Tocchet complimenting a young dman after his weird Cole McWard infatuation last year lol

Reactions: CanucksMJL

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I might be in the minority here, but it's his defense that impresses me the most. He's so calm, poised, in position, great stick, and smart.

It's his IQ both offensively and defensively that impress me. I really do think this kid is a sleeper, his coaches have loved him at every level for a reason. Call me crazy, but if he became a premiere top 4 defenseman in the NHL it would great, but not surprising. His IQ + Compete level is very Tanev like.

Yeah his play in the neutral zone gives me Tanev vibes as well. Now that's a pretty high bar to set and I'm not expecting KK to ever be in the conversation for best defensive dman in the world like Tanev was. But I'm excited to see how he does this year as a rookie pro.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm beginning to see how the COVID seasons seriously disrupted the scouting community and really contributed to draft picks being 'all over the map'.

A lot of scouting services agree that Kudryavtsev would probably not have lasted past the third round in most draft years. But scouts just didn't have much of a read on him after he came to OHL from Russia.

I guess the tip-off might have been that the Canucks signed him right out of his draft year, despite not being picked until the 7th round. This hardly ever happens to 7th rounders in any other drafts.

So the Canucks may have lucked their way into a legitimate first or second round draft talent. And along with D-Petey and Wilander, suddenly the Canucks have some intriguing you d-men in the pipeline.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Wasn't 21-22 a full OHL season? Also, didn't they sign Kudryatsev after his D+1 rather than right out of the draft?

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wasn't 21-22 a full OHL season? Also, didn't they sign Kudryatsev after his D+1 rather than right out of the draft?

While you’re right about 21-22 being a full season VanJack is right that the 2022 draft was one where most scouting departments felt like they were lacking information on most players. GMs and scouts commented on it. Kudryavtsev seems like a guy that teams just forgot about because after he was drafted there were a lot of off-the-record by comments by scouts and draft experts that they didn’t even realize he wasn’t drafted yet. Apparently was ranked quite a bit higher by most teams.

And yeah, he was signed in March or his D+1.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
While you’re right about 21-22 being a full season VanJack is right that the 2022 draft was one where most scouting departments felt like they were lacking information on most players. GMs and scouts commented on it. Kudryavtsev seems like a guy that teams just forgot about because after he was drafted there were a lot of off-the-record by comments by scouts and draft experts that they didn’t even realize he wasn’t drafted yet. Apparently was ranked quite a bit higher by most teams.

And yeah, he was signed in March or his D+1.

I love how mickey mouse the NHL is at times.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad