Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Kirill Kudryavtsev to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'm not concerned about Kudryavtsev's size and strength in and of itself. But his size doesn't afford him the margin for error that he otherwise would if he was a better skater.
What's wrong with his skating? I have barely seen him play but the few clips I've seen show he's pretty fast. Wagner has an article on him: Canucks sign seventh-round pick Kirill Kudryavtsev

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Milstein:
The Soviet Union will be pleased to offer the Canucks another player.

Rutherford:
Soviet Union? I thought you guys broke up.

Milstein:
Nyet! That's what we wanted you to think, hahahahahaha

russia-soviet-union.gif

Lenin: must...crush...CAPITALISM!
☭☭☭

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
When we drafted him I thought "this is what you should be doing with 7th rounders". Looks like he could pay off, which would be great.

IIRC, a 7th round has a 10 - 15 % chance of having a NHL career. Tracking very well.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Likely they want to see him in the AHL next year and think it's better for development rather than stay in the OHL another year.

Can they even do that? Wasn't he drafted out of the OHL?

More likely that he was looking at contracts overseas and the team had to offer him the ELC to keep him available to them.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Something is definitely happening with the Canucks and the 'Russian factor' . When it came to signing and developing Russian players, in the past Vancouver was the equivalent of the NHL's gulag.

For awhile, Vancouver was always in the mix. Larionov and Krutov were two of the first Rusians to get out of the Soviet Union. And Bure was a star and a HOF'er along with Mogilny, who should have been.

But beginning in about 2000--something happened. Maybe Burkie and Nonis just didn't like Russian players; and Mike Gillis didn't seek them out either.

So today, it might be the ascension of a European as GM; or maybe the drafting of Podkolzin with a top-10 pick broke the ice. But whatever it is, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Kravstov and Kudryavtsev have been added in quick succession. And when you add in Danila Klimovich, who is Belarussian, then it becomes the 'Russian six'

And we're led to believe there could be another signing or two from the KHL this off-season. And with Sergei Gonchar firmly established behind the bench as as assistant-coach, something is definitely happening the Russian file in VanCity as it keeps on growing..

The "something" was pretty blatantly obvious.

Russia and the NHL didn't have a transfer agreement, Koltsov bolted mid-season while under contract, and then things got worse when the KHL was formed and said they wouldn't avoid poaching NHL players. There were general issues with the same happening to teams league-wide. The team assessed that it wasn't worth the risk, especially given their limited picks. This isn't any type of mystery.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Solid signing , I’m hopeful for him , he’s had a great season of development considering how awful the Greyhounds have been

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
So today, it might be the ascension of a European as GM; or maybe the drafting of Podkolzin with a top-10 pick broke the ice. But whatever it is, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Kravstov and Kudryavtsev have been added in quick succession. And when you add in Danila Klimovich, who is Belarussian, then it becomes the 'Russian six'

absolutely not.

that's insulting... being it's it's own country

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
So is Simashev, or But a Milsten Client as well?.

I for one thinks its fantastic the we have a Agent who will probably be feeding the Canucks info on Russian players for the forseeable future.

Lets Corner the Market on Sweds and Russians. Seems like something that would be beneficial for us

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
What was Gillis ‘no Russians’ policy all about?
I do remember Gillis being asked about the KHL when he was here and he did say something along the lines of it being a slow paced league compared to the NHL so I wonder how much of his no-Russians strategy was based on that impression.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
What was Gillis ‘no Russians’ policy all about?

There was no transfer agreement with Russia. When the KHL formed in 2008, there was initially an agreement not to sign players under contract in the respective leagues despite the lack of a transfer agreement, then a KHL team signed Alex Radulov in July despite him being under contract to the Preds. (I believe the KHL claimed the NHL did it first, but I can't remember what the truth of it was.)

This had previously happened to the Canucks when Kiril Koltsov left the Moose mid-season and signed in Russia.

League-wide, the "Russian Factor" became a serious consideration when considering draft picks, because the KHL, with its substantial financial backing and intention of being a tool of geopolitical dick-measuring in addition to hockey league, led to Russian players being considered a serious risk of never coming over, as well as a flight risk even when they did sign with an NHL team. Less Russians were picked in the draft in the years following the formation of the KHL, and Russian players who were selected often fell as a result.

A lot gets made of the Canucks not selecting any Russians under Gillis, but I don't know that they were following any kind of different path than much of the league at the time.

Edit: I also think that the whole "policy" has been somewhat overstated. For example, they were poking around at Kirill Kabanov leading up to the draft in 2010.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad