Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Daniel Sprong to 1-Year Deal ($975K)

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Huh? It’s about gaining 3.5m in accumulating cap space for a much larger deal, or several, during the season.
I am absolutely hoping to see them bank as much space as possible so that they can turn this team into a complete f***ing monster with rentals. It's a risk chemistry and systems wise but Benning.

Reactions: bossram and Indiana

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he would be a nice injection to the powerplay unit 2. vancouver doesnt have another right handed shot besides boeser. so adding another shooter doesnt hurt. as for his defensive game, tocheet and the staff should help in that regards. i think he would be saddled with 2 defensive forwards example: petterson/suter

Reactions: Indiana

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Attaching Pod or Hog to move Poolman makes sense when you look at it as part of a season long plan to build the playoff roster. Really opens so many options for the TDL...if you can move Hoglander to upgrade the top 4 on dee in March, you do it. Moving Hoglander now to get Poolman's cap space accruing for the entire season is how Allvin will be able to go big game hunting for that defensive upgrade.

I see Sprong as a kind of rental as well. If he really pops, we probably can't
afford to re-sign him. Hopefully this contract negotiations showed him how close to being out of the league he is, and that motivates an improved give-a-damn.

Reason for optimism that the decision makers have experience with the player. Potentially playing with Pettersson, and in front of Hughes, should also hide some of the defensive warts. Considering this FOs overall success with these kinds of contracts, and what a good Sprong does to our forward depth and versatility, it's an exciting signing.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
he would be a nice injection to the powerplay unit 2. vancouver doesnt have another right handed shot besides boeser. so adding another shooter doesnt hurt. as for his defensive game, tocheet and the staff should help in that regards. i think he would be saddled with 2 defensive forwards example: petterson/suter

i mean garland but

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Not in love with the player—but can’t argue the price. We are shaping up to have a PP2 that can actually chip in an occasional goal

PP1
DeBrusk
Miller-Boeser-Pettersson
Hughes​
PP2
Garland
Heinen-Sprong-Hoglander
Hronek​

There is very little risk and it also gives the team a trade option to move players like Hoglander or Podkolzin for a defenseman upgrade within the season.

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Debrusk is a more of an offensive guy who learned to play defense. Don't know much about Sprong, him being on so many teams in a short time in worrisome.

Normally I'd agree but a 1 year deal at under 1Mil, that's an easy contract to ditch of it doesn't work. Allvin has shown he has no problem trading a guy when it isn't working out. I'm not worried.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
No way does Sprong mean we should be trading any other fwds away. RT might permascratch him in week 2 of the season.
Just send down Aman or PDG or both during the great waiver flush to start the season. Great vets for Abby and won't have to reclear waivers as injury callups.
Good gamble/$ though. He could lead the league in pts/$ if it works out.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Hmmm.
are people under the impression that if we get rid of Poolman we suddenly have a lot of cap space? This is juggling to meet the cap, and I am willing to bet that the second we go to Poolman on LTIR we will have little cap space left.

for that matter, how many players can we leave in limbo on the day we have to be cap compliant? Or do those that aren't part of the lineup have to clear waivers?

And as I asked before, is there any forward amongst the 14 listed who doesn't have to clear waivers? I don't think so. I think the only player who doesn't of the projected starting line up is Silvos.

Anyone? anyone? (Ferris Bueller reference).

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
All this Hoglander talk is really starting to piss me off. Sprong isn't even guaranteed a top 12 forward spot at this point let alone ready to replace Hoglander.

I swear the playoffs made everyone forget the season he had. There hasn't been a single rumour he is being shopped. If anything this signing should worry guys like Podkolzin, Aman and PDG.

Also if Sprong plays with Pettersson on the top line... we are gonna get eaten alive. Jesus I can't imagine those two just giving up on D when someone f***s up in the O zone.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Hmmm.
are people under the impression that if we get rid of Poolman we suddenly have a lot of cap space? This is juggling to meet the cap, and I am willing to bet that the second we go to Poolman on LTIR we will have little cap space left.

for that matter, how many players can we leave in limbo on the day we have to be cap compliant? Or do those that aren't part of the lineup have to clear waivers?

And as I asked before, is there any forward amongst the 14 listed who doesn't have to clear waivers? I don't think so. I think the only player who doesn't of the projected starting line up is Silvos.

Anyone? anyone? (Ferris Bueller reference).
Aman and PDG have to clear waivers but I think those are guys you don't mind risking. Lots of similar players on waivers every year and guys like Karlsson, Raty, Bains, Lek, Smith can replace them.

And I say that as a fan of both players.

I'm much more comfortable always having 8 D on the roster given the Canucks history with D injuries and I don't think Juulsen or Friedman are worth losing at all.

Reactions: Indiana

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
for one year

No way does Sprong mean we should be trading any other fwds away. RT might permascratch him in week 2 of the season.
Just send down Aman or PDG or both during the great waiver flush to start the season. Great vets for Abby and won't have to reclear waivers as injury callups.
Good gamble/$ though. He could lead the league in pts/$ if it works out.
Absolutely.

This Sprong move puts pressure on the Amans and PDGs on the roster and pencilling him on the top line and making guys like Hoglander expendable is asinine.

I don't even know if Tocchet is gonna like the guy.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I hope we go into the season with Hog and Pod. I'm not ready to give up on them and both have far better long term potential and value than a guy like Sprong.

Both guys also play hard every shift. Hoglander and Garland were probably our two most consistent forwards last year.

I’m wondering if Tocchet’s penchant for handedness will hold with the forwards as well as the defense.

Natural LW: DeBrusk, Joshua, Heinen, Hoglander

Natural RW: Boeser, Garland, Sprong, Sherwood

Many have played off wing at times, but that’s not necessarily needed anymore. If Hoglander starts on Pettersson’s line DeBrusk likely plays off wing.

Podz is obviously a RW, so Sprong is likely more of a threat to him. There should be room on the left side for Hoglander regardless as I don’t see much competition after Heinen.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I like the signing as it provides optionality at a highly attractive price.

At some point Daniel Sprong is going to get really introspective about his career to date. Hopefully this was the summer. Either take the steps to become a more complete player or it's off to Europe for whatever time remains. He got a tiny taste of decent money last season and couldn't turn it into a better deal so he's back to a one year deal at not much more than league min. If he's ever going to "get it", this year on this team could be the ticket. High end team, big expectations with a core and coaching staff that will absolutely hold everyone accountable. Could be his last chance.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Looks like a nice piece of depth but I truly wonder if Toc would even play him.
It appears he’s well known for playing a bad defensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad