Canucks quietly have the deepest forward group in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Big flex. You have the best player on earth and maybe the best 3rd overall pick in history? and the Oilers still are going to waste their entire careers Cup-less.
Maybe. maybe not. Its tough to win it all in a 32 team league. One number is certain though. # of cups won in Vancouver history....

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Maybe. maybe not. Its tough to win it all in a 32 team league. One number is certain though. # of cups won in Vancouver history....
Yes. One. It’s zero if you mean Vancouver Canucks, specifically. I’m aware my franchise is a loser. Yours has been even less relevant for over three decades now, sooo…

Do congratulate your father or maybe even his father though, on their kick ass Oilers way back.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Yes. One. It’s zero if you mean Vancouver Canucks, specifically. I’m aware my franchise is a loser. Yours has been even less relevant for over three decades now, sooo…

Do congratulate your father or maybe even his father though, on their kick ass Oilers way back.
Yes I did mean the Canucks specifically. Oilers won in my lifetime so I am good with that.

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
I can’t really find any other team aside from St Louis and Colorado that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Canucks.

Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, that’s 90-100 goals alone down the middle. I don’t think there’s any team with that type of scoring punch down the middle. Not to mention Boeser having a down year last season due to family reasons. He’s easily good for 25 goals on the wing.

Then you have another 25, potential 30 goal scorer in Mikheyev, 50+ playmaker in Garland, Podkolzin who will definitely build from last season potting perhaps another 20-20-40pts. That’s not even mentioning Kuzmenko who could very well be another Panarin type player. Even Pearson is good for 35-40 points including 15-20+ goals.

Demko is a top 5 goaltender in the league, and there’s Hughes and OEL (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite defenseman who make their partners much better than they are (Schenn and Myers).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Lazar, Mikheyev, Joshua, and even Dickinson, having that hole on the right side is manageable. Canucks were top 5 in the league in fewest even strength goals allowed with that atrocious right side, in large part thanks to OEL and his brains. PK was the main issue on defense but that should be improved.

I just can’t really think of a more well balanced group, especially the forward group, with an average age of 25 years old.
Let me write one for Edmonton, I will also take the most optimistic approach with my predictions:

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, thats 120-130 goals alone down the middle. I don't think think there's any team with that type of scoring punch down the middle. Not to mention Kane having a down year last seasons due to contract trouble. He's easily good for 40 goals on the wing.

Then you have a 30, potentially 35 goal scorer in Hyman, a strong up an comer in McCleod. Yamamoto who will definitely build on last season potting perhaps 25-25-50pts. Thats not even mentioning Puljujarvi who could be the next Nichushkin. Even Foegele is good for 35-40 points including 15-20+ goals.

And on it goes....

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I don’t know why Canucks always get shit talked the most on these boards lol
I think a big reason is the HF nuck "fans" here.
Not all but there are so many tools that claim to be nuck fans but spend their time sitting on them, until the team goes on a run like the bubble and then they turn into "fans" And start being douches to other fanbases.

I never bother going on to our boards, if I want to interact, I go to nucks.com.

This thread however does seem to have brought out the usual fanbases that still haven't let go all the beatings there teams got from the nucks and since then their teams did zilch and it kills them to think those beatings will start again. Possibly as soon as this season.

I'm not saying we have the best forward group but I do think the depth is pretty damn good and if a few guys continue their play from Feb on and Mikheyev and Kuzmenko perform well then it could be really good.
10 guys have 20 goal potential, anyone who says that's not depth is not being honest.

I do love how people bring up the defence in a thread about forwards, especially when it's avs fans who lost a ton of depth and have shit goaltending, or oiler fans who cheer for a team with worse goaltending and defense bur still mock ours.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Let me write one for Edmonton, I will also take the most optimistic approach with my predictions:

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, thats 120-130 goals alone down the middle. I don't think think there's any team with that type of scoring punch down the middle. Not to mention Kane having a down year last seasons due to contract trouble. He's easily good for 40 goals on the wing.

Then you have a 30, potentially 35 goal scorer in Hyman, a strong up an comer in McCleod. Yamamoto who will definitely build on last season potting perhaps 25-25-50pts. Thats not even mentioning Puljujarvi who could be the next Nichushkin. Even Foegele is good for 35-40 points including 15-20+ goals.

And on it goes....

This is all at least a TAD more likely to happen than the Canuck predictions.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

And on it goes....
Your projections are more realistic.

Reactions: bucks_oil

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Vancouver has only made it past the 2nd round twice since 1990. Trying to pick on Edmonton saying they arent relevant when they have had more trips to the 3rd round and beyond is not an agrument stats will back you up on. All this talk of wasting talent when you have 6 retired numbers and not a single one of them managed to win a cup playing for them.

Big Bobby

Aug 11, 2022
Vancouver has only made it past the 2nd round twice since 1990. Trying to pick on Edmonton saying they arent relevant when they have had more trips to the 3rd round and beyond is not an agrument stats will back you up on. All this talk of wasting talent when you have 6 retired numbers and not a single one of them managed to win a cup playing for them.

Oilers were gifted multiple 1st overall picks in the last 15 years, including arguably the best player since Crosby, and the best they have to show for it is a third round sweep. Canucks have never had a 1st overall pick in franchise history. IMO it's not wrong to say that Edmonton has wasted talent.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Oilers were gifted multiple 1st overall picks in the last 15 years, including arguably the best player since Crosby, and the best they have to show for it is a third round sweep. Canucks have never had a 1st overall pick in franchise history. IMO it's not wrong to say that Edmonton has wasted talent.
they actually did. They briefly held the #1 overall pick in the Sedin Twins draft.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I always think in the back of my mind whether Alain Vignault was really this good of a coach or if he held the team back and floated on their talent.

I was more just poking fun at Bobby here and his blanket statements.

Sedins had a great career and the fact that they didn't go all the way doesn't mean their talent was wasted. Winning the Cup is hard and it requires a lot of factors to go right.

Reactions: DS7

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
The anti-Vancouver bias still remains strong ten years after 2010/2011. That team triggered all the Canadian fanbases, and some American ones too. It was a combination of jealously over Vancouver as a city and the team itself which was excellent. Oiler and Flame fans in particular were practically sobbing as the Canucks stormed to the Finals that year. Some of them were happier than Bruin fans when Boston won that series.

All that to say, it explains a lot of the needless chirps and animosty towards the Canucks in here. IMO Vancovuer could finish ahead of Edmonton this upcoming year, who barely managed to sneak by LA in Round 1. I don't think there is a big of a gap as people think.
Can’t agree with this more. Sometimes I look back on that 2011 series and think it’s the most entertaining one of my lifetime, all because that canucks team triggered so many emotions both good and bad. That team made the league really interesting for a couple years.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

You can't buy a history and suddenly say one, mate. That's not how that works.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Big deal Vancouver also had the best drafting gm in the league per their fans so who cares? No one would say the consensus first overalls from 2010-13 are as good of players as Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, Crosby, Ovi, Etc in other years.

The classes those years were pretty damn weak as a whole while immediately after 2014,15, 16, were all much much better draft classes.

You can cry about pick number #1 all you want doesn’t matter when you had multiple good players and the 4th best team of all time (per your fans)

Big Bobby

Aug 11, 2022
Big deal Vancouver also had the best drafting gm in the league per their fans so who cares? No one would say the consensus first overalls from 2010-13 are as good of players as Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, Crosby, Ovi, Etc in other years.

The classes those years were pretty damn weak as a whole while immediately after 2014,15, 16, were all much much better draft classes.

You can cry about pick number #1 all you want doesn’t matter when you had multiple good players and the 4th best team of all time (per your fans)

Read this whole post in Covingtons voice lol. You're not wrong, the Oilers got super unlucky with those early 2010 drafts. The top end wasn't very good in those. Fair point.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
this thread is a shame because I would actually be very tempted to say their F group is underrated going into this season (at least on paper) but deepest F group in the league is silly to say at this point. I doubt even most Canucks fans are willing to go that far so stuff like this makes them look insane when really they are mostly probably just happy the F group is actually pretty encouraging and should be fun to watch this year

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I fully understand the thought that the Canucks have the best forward group.

When you look at your team you see a lot of potential. It looks like one of the best on paper when you don't compare it to any other NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad