Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Not very good so far, looking like a repeat of 2016 is possible.

Zadorov? So he got 5 mil. The Canucks just spent 1.5 mil for a guy that couldn't play in the league regularly, so they step backwards on defence. Smaller and a lot less skill. 4.5 X 7 and the 5th best defence in the league stays intact and improved, now a big leap back, bottom 3 are smaller AHL guys now. Still need a top 4 dman just to tread water, LH or RH and Forbert isn't even the "absolutely must have RHD" to play with Hughes.

This Russian hate needs to stop.

In this day and age of supporting the club regardless of outcome this gets muffled as much as possible.
Essentially they will spend more being worse.

Everything is about Hughes being better in the easy season, how he is going to carry the team on his shoulders. He IS the TEAM, so what happens when he gets hurt?

Very worried this is a repeat of 8 years ago. Capped out and defence depth issues. 2016 over again?

So far 650 is all about how good it was they didn't over pay in FA, but hardly a peep about whether the team has improved or not? Yesterday players still listed on the team the team had the 5th best defence, today 22nd.
It's good to read this perspective, but I don't think it's all that accurate. I think they're taking a very team approach to the build and figure it's a case of the whole being better than the parts. Seems like a group of players that will leave it all on the ice and there's enough speed and size to complement some serious skill sprinkled throughout the lineup.

The Canucks cap is too messed up to load up with high end free agents, so they went the best route they could. The infusion of skill will have to come through the farm, particularly at the end of the year.

This should be a playoff team with some expectations. I can't blame management for not landing players who clearly had their eyes on other destinations. I think for Lindholm alone, he looked east because he knows that the western travel takes a huge toll on players, and Zad seems to have taken the best contract offered. Both are reasonable decisions.

I'm not overly optimistic about this team being great next season, but they've done a decent job of setting themselves up for the following couple of years and have gotten harder to play against.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
i don't hate any of the signings today (debrusk got too much term and i could do without one of forbort and desharnais but the rest are good) but i don't see the plan

they needed high end talent and they spent like 13m on just some guys. even dubrusk is closer to just some guy than a legit star. they're into ltir again so they can't even add in season without moving out money. unless they have a garland trade on deck i don't see how this team is good

they're gonna need career performances from miller, hughes, pettersson, boeser and demko to be a legit team

The plan at forward is pretty clear, in my eyes. A lot of depth and a lot of versatile guys that can play different roles and move around the line-up. The value on most of the forward contracts is good, and the scouting seems sound from a systems perspective. But yeah, no clue why they'd be prioritizing Forburt (guess as a cheaper Zadorov replacement). Sounds like Desharnais wasn't a target but fell into it late, so sounds a bit like a scramble after the blue liners started coming off the board. I'm glad we avoided Dillon, Edmunson and Cole on the contracts they ended up getting though.

I would have taken Walker at the rate he got, and I'm a bit disappointed on Marino, but not a lot out there I'd like to have on the books for term.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Team is currently worse than last year.

Really expected more.

I'd say they were an 8.5/10 last year, 7 or 7.5/10 now.

Odds are they're a 5-7 seed in the playoffs unless they make some more moves, or we get a miraculous rookie performance from Lekkerimaki.

Not getting Guentzel or Reinhart really stings. I am convinced Guentzel would have signed here if it wasn't for Tampa coming in and f***ing it all up.

DeBrusk is a nice pickup, but we don't know if we're getting the guy who got 50 in 64 or 40 in 82.

Heinen and Sherwood were good additions. Don't think I'd count on either for consistent scoring.

Not sold whatsoever on the defence. Forbort and Desharnais were very far down the list of prime targets. I feel like Carrier/Walker/Kylington should have been bigger priorities.

Obviously, losing Zadorov and Lindholm isn't ideal. They went for replacement by attrition rather than a straight swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: quat

Hooz

Oct 25, 2017
So have they spent basically all they can while still being able to accrue cap space in season?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'd say they were an 8.5/10 last year, 7 or 7.5/10 now.

Odds are they're a 5-7 seed in the playoffs unless they make some more moves, or we get a miraculous rookie performance from Lekkerimaki.

DeBrusk is a nice pickup, but we don't know if we're getting the guy who got 50 in 64 or 40 in 82.
People thought the starting roster was a wildcard team at best and our forward depth is actually better now compared to last year’s starting roster and we have cap to get players at TDL.

Reactions: quat

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Low key Boeser Kaprizov swap pls

Unfortunately almost have to move hoglander for an upgrade, preferably pod but he's not worth much.

Pinto at C here cracks the contention window wide open.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
As it stands, the Canucks have about 1m in cap space without a back-up. With LTIR that puts them
at 3.5m. If they go with Patera then they’re only at 0.3m without LTIR. To me, they are at the point where it doesn’t make sense to not dip into LTIR.

They have two trade chips on the roster in Hoglander and Podkolzin that could allow them to improve the roster. Given the contracts they gave to Forbort and Desharnais there’s commitment to them, but not a tonne. A scoring winger and, now more than before, a two-way defenseman is needed.

I have serious doubts they will go into next season with Patera as the back-up and Silovs will get the 1m we all expect. Would put them at 2.5m in space.

So if we make these assumptions the Canucks have about 3.5m in LTIR (space plus one of Hoglander/Podkolzin) to make a swap. I haven’t looked but there may be another forward or defenceman out there that fits within their needs.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Exactly, the best target left. Trades were made, for players and for rights, and we stood pat.

There are a number of teams over the cap (including us, waiting on LTIR), that will have to make moves.

In absolute hindsight, I'd have kept our second and Mikheyev too, and hope for a rebound season.

Once again with our D, we are no further ahead with the guys we got, and now we have no cap space

Seems like a pretty big over-reaction. We weren't getting any of the better players out there, rights or no rights, and we addressed our forward issues as well as could be expected.

The defence isn't great but there is zero indication any of the better dmen even considered us. We had limited space and assets. Pretty unrealistic to think otherwise.

As far as the defence it's very similar to last year, except Cole, Juulsen, or Friedman was on the right side instead of Desharnais. Our PK should be better and hopefully Debrusk is what's missing as a fifth player. He also adds speed and toughness which we sorely lacked in our top 6.

Reasonably decent day all things considered.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
i don't hate any of the signings today (debrusk got too much term and i could do without one of forbort and desharnais but the rest are good) but i don't see the plan

they needed high end talent and they spent like 13m on just some guys. even dubrusk is closer to just some guy than a legit star. they're into ltir again so they can't even add in season without moving out money. unless they have a garland trade on deck i don't see how this team is good

they're gonna need career performances from miller, hughes, pettersson, boeser and demko to be a legit team

Ummm didn't you say the Forbort signing was awful and the Deharnhais one was gross? That sounds like hate, YMMV.

I don't think any of the depth signings sink them, but it was all about them switching gears after Guentzel signed in TBay. It is what it is.

They had a shot to keep the floor high with a better Dman signing, but that didn't happen.

Reactions: Kryten

Big zZz

May 13, 2024

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
depends on the final roster and what silovs gets. they'll have at best about $500k tho
Ya probably 250-500k, but it should make in-season moves a little easier to pull off and I’m sure the plan will be to grab an upgrade on d. Not much they can do right now if the quality isn’t available or willing to sign here.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I actually prefer Desharnais over Zadorov considering their contracts. They provide similar elements.

Problem is I don't love the pairing of Forbort and Desharnais together. We need a guy who can move the puck on the bottom pairing.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Adding Pinto or Necas would be great, but doesn't solve the defence issue. I feel like they will need to make a trade for that.

I actually prefer Desharnais over Zadorov considering their contracts. They provide similar elements.

Problem is I don't love the pairing of Forbort and Desharnais together. We need a guy who can move the puck on the bottom pairing.

Kylington. He'd be a perfect fit here. Give him a 2x2 and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad