Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Joshua sure, but I don’t see Zadorov’s outcome having much to do with signing Toffoli, more to do with not being able to move Mikheyev. They will probably add a top-sixer regardless. Pivoting to a cheaper defenseman over Zadorov will probably be forced by virtue of the cap situation because they can’t move salary.

Joshua, on the other hand, looks somewhat like a choice to reallocate his cap space to the top six.

I think they legit want to keep Zadorov, but probably can’t. Joshua I think they resolved not to sign a while ago at anything above a certain number, which is probably significantly below his predicted market rate.
I am guessing everything also depends if they can get Guentzel, they are probably saving the cap space to do that and that is priority over all the other UFA

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I am guessing everything also depends if they can get Guentzel, they are probably saving the cap space to do that and that is priority over all the other UFA

Yeah I suspect that’s why none of our free agents haven been signed without a Mikheyev trade. If they could move him I bet Zadorov would be signed.

And also yeah, if they score Guentzel or Reinhart without moving Mikheyev they have to go pretty mega-cheap everywhere else and I think pretty much all the free agents are gone.

PS. God I hate that Mikheyev contract.

Reactions: quat and arttk

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Detroit needed to make cap room for Seider and Raymond extensions. Probably going to be in the neighborhood of $17 million to lock up both of them, leaving them with $15 million to fill out their roster. There's no room for a $9 million Guentzel.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Man, a 2nd rounder to dump Walman's $3.4m x 2 contract, when he is a #4D. The cost to dump Mik will be like 2 x 1st rounders at this rate. GG.

Reactions: David71

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
My gut tells me Carolina still gets their man. They paid for him at the deadline, he performed well, they have a good team..... not to say all this speculation league wide on Guentzel isn't true but it's also the kind of stuff agents are floating to get Carolina to up their price.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Man, a 2nd rounder to dump Walman's $3.4m x 2 contract, when he is a #4D. The cost to dump Mik will be like 2 x 1st rounders at this rate. GG.
Nah, the 2025 1st should be more than enough.

The biggest problem, aside from being willing to pay to dump him, is finding a team willing to take on that contract that wouldn't be on Mikheyev's 12 team no-trade list.

Reactions: Lindgren

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'll say right here right now that going forward I think Dakota Joshua is a better player than Tyler Toffoli at a much lower cap hit.

Even if Toffoli is likely to be the better ES producer over the next 2 years?

I've taken issue with some this management team's larger ideas, but they are putting on a clinic right now in terms of their FAs. They are showing activity to the fans without overcommitting on paper. Even with the Hronek deal, which I am not bullish on, needed to get done and it did. In that same fashion, I'm glad they are cautious on Joshua and are pursuing known talent in Toffoli (if it comes to that/hoping for Guentzel).

They are attempting to address their offensive floor now. It's the right action given the template they've put forth and what they have in house.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
The red wings have Ben Chariot, Olli Maata, Simon Edvindsson and William Wallinder on the left, and probably want to resign Ghost.

Plus they need cap to lock up Raymond and Seider plus address the goaltending (Gibson?).

Theres no hidden agenda to the Walman transaction, thats just a good GM getting ahead of it and making capspace.
they had almost $30MM in cap space before this deal was done and the player logged top 4 minutes last year.

If there isn't something going on behind the scenes (off ice issue etc) this is an average GM paying a stupid price to lighten the (offseason) cab burden for a short period.

a few weeks from now a dozen or so GM's (who struck out in UFA) are going to be trying to fill holes before they phuck off to the lake for the rest of the summer and would probably have paid a mid/late round pick or depth prospect to take Walman.

Neither of their RFAs are arbitration eligible....so where is the urgency to dump a decent RHD prospect for a pick that was then dumped along with a useful player to increase the teams cap space from $29MM to $32MM.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even if Toffoli is likely to be the better ES producer over the next 2 years?

I've taken issue with some this management team's larger ideas, but they are putting on a clinic right now in terms of their FAs. They are showing activity to the fans without overcommitting on paper. Even with the Hronek deal, which I am not bullish on, needed to get done and it did. In that same fashion, I'm glad they are cautious on Joshua and are pursuing known talent in Toffoli (if it comes to that/hoping for Guentzel).

They are attempting to address their offensive floor now. It's the right action given the template they've put forth and what they have in house.

Joshua outscored Toffoli at ES this year and they’re trending opposite directions. And Joshua clearly brings a lot more outside of scoring.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Joshua outscored Toffoli at ES this year and they’re trending opposite directions. And Joshua clearly brings a lot more outside of scoring.
Joshua also shot at 20% which will regress. I agree that Joshua brings PK, size and toughness.

Toffoli is a 30 goal scorer that has chemistry with EP. He’s also excellent on the PP.

Different type of player.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Toffoli had 37 EVPs (30 with NJ and 7 with WPG), and Joshua had 31 EVPs on a 21.4% shooting rate.

Edit: Ironically, it's Mikheyev's roster position and salary that prevents them from re-signing Joshua/Zadorov. Not Toffoli. It should be Toffoli plus Joshua, not Toffoli at the expense of Joshua.

Last edited:

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
DJ is a boards beast, a PK monster and a surprisingly decent scorer. He had a big year and it can be dangerous paying a guy at that moment, but if you can get him at a reasonable rate you do it. He is exactly the kind of guy we will need if he goes. Still, I don't blame him if he chases a huge pay day.

Will be a loss, but would also be a mistake to overpay him if he’s looking for a well earned pay day.

He was a big part of the team’s identity and success last year. You wont be able to replace him easily in terms of all the things he does, rather would be split among multiple layers. For me it’s his size, board play, hits, scores and chemistry with Garland that will be missed.

For bigger players that can play they’re awkward to defend against, definitely gives your opponents a different look to defend against compared to your skill finesse guys.

Reactions: ziploc

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Toffoli had 37 EVPs (30 with NJ and 7 with WPG), and Joshua had 31 EVPs on a 21.4% shooting rate.

Edit: Ironically, it's Mikheyev's roster position and salary that prevents them from re-signing Joshua/Zadorov. Not Toffoli. It should be Toffoli plus Joshua, not Toffoli at the expense of Joshua.

Joshua missed a pile of games. Now do PPG or regular season + playoffs combined.

Toffoli also played a huge chunk of games (and his most productive games) with Jack Hughes.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
toffili at a 2 year term would be a great stop gap

If they miss on the big names, that's where you assume they can scout the mid-tier and find the best fit. They will have to add a top-six winger somehow, and there are plenty of 20-30 goal guys on the market at wing. Aside from any Joshua talk, they need someone to add scoring and help on the PP. Be it Toffoli or one of the other names.

Reactions: arttk

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Joshua missed a pile of games. Now do PPG or regular season + playoffs combined.

Toffoli also played a huge chunk of games (and his most productive games) with Jack Hughes.
He only had 4 even strength points when playing without a PPG player on the Devils (Hughes, Bratt, Hischier)

With that said he also barely played without one of them

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
toffili at a 2 year term would be a great stop gap

He won't accept two years. He took that sweetheart deal Montreal offered strictly because of the added term. I suspect he'll aim for another 3-4 year deal if not 5 but given his age, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays closer to the low 4s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad