Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
History tends to tell me that if you hear 6-8 teams linked to a target including big-market/O6 US teams, we probably aren’t going to be the choice. Especially when it’s a US-born player.

This also lines up with the bump in Toffoli rumours over the last few days.

But we’ll see.

History also told us that Miller would never re-sign here. I have no idea what to expect anymore.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Demko is the year after, thankfully. Boeser, Hoglander and Suter are our FAs going into next year. And it's actually 7M of dead cap (4.7M for OEL and 2.1M for Mik).

We're basically saying good-bye to Boeser without another massive cap jump. Even in that scenario, we'd basically ice the same team since we couldn't make any improvements whatsoever with that much cap being tied up.

It's pretty much why I've been banging the drum of just paying whatever asset's needed to dump Mikheyev. We simply can't afford it.

Although, it's getting increasingly worrisome management just refuses to accept that reality and decides to keep him. I'll be more than a little disappointment if we lose out on big names because they're balking over a draft pick.

I figure what they say might just be a PR move to temper expections, in the likely event that Mik will remain with us.

It is one of the few dumb mistakes made by our management, and it is amplified by our already-awful cap situation.

Also because nothing gets leaked anymore. No one really has scoops on the Canucks. Everything comes out of left field

Dimbo: I, AM, GOING TO, TALK TO, THE AGENTS OF, NOT STAMKOS, AND NOT SUBBAN! OK? OK!

• Haha
Reactions: Bgav

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Agreed. If anything I think we get blue balled hard these next few days since using the Canucks as leverage seems like a no brainer with guys like dhaliwal being bros with agents and buying whatever they tell him.

it's becoming apparent that the canucks being linked to guentzel is probably just his agents creating leverage for where he actually wants to sign. too many unrelated sources are reporting it; someone wants it out there bad

Reactions: Nucker101

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lol calm down guys. The finals ended yesterday and now everyone's throwing up smoke screens right now with free agency a week away. Don't let yourself get blown one way or the other.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'll say right here right now that going forward I think Dakota Joshua is a better player than Tyler Toffoli at a much lower cap hit.
Management talking about getting bigger and faster, and then letting Joshua+Zadorov walk just to sign a slow and average sized 32 year old Toffoli would be...something

Unless they do a 180 real fast in the next week and lock them up, I get the sneaking suspicion this off-season is going to turn out very poorly.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Management talking about getting bigger and faster, and then letting Joshua+Zadorov walk just to sign a slow and average sized 32 year old Toffoli would be...something

Unless they do a 180 real fast in the next week and lock them up, I get the sneaking suspicion this off-season is going to turn out very poorly.
I'm not optimistic about Guentzel anymore, but I also believe this management team has a Plan B and Plan C place that involves something more calculated than getting into bidding wars for the B tier ufa's of this class and trying to outbid everyone by tacking on extra years or higher aav's.

I'm not really worried yet, the fact that they've played it slow with their ow ufa's actually gives me hope that they're fairly confident in their plans.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Highly doubt it. They have publicly said they want to add speed to the team

Reactions: Nucker101

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I’m willing to be patient with this management group who has so far proven to be amongst the most active and aggressive groups out there. They did a lot of their better moves signing players more on the margin last off season and then making some solid trades in season for the bigger name players.
im basically sports praying to offseason shit hockey gods that the brass stick to their principals and dont reach for juice that aint worth the squeeze

im a big exit the offseason a little incomplete but with flexibility intact guy after seeing the groups inseason work in 23/24

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'll say right here right now that going forward I think Dakota Joshua is a better player than Tyler Toffoli at a much lower cap hit.
DJ is a boards beast, a PK monster and a surprisingly decent scorer. He had a big year and it can be dangerous paying a guy at that moment, but if you can get him at a reasonable rate you do it. He is exactly the kind of guy we will need if he goes. Still, I don't blame him if he chases a huge pay day.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Maybe best to treat rumors too seriously right now. Could be teams, not just ours, leaking shit left and right to throw everyone off. I mean you would hope some GMs are smart to do that.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Maybe best to treat rumors too seriously right now. Could be teams, not just ours, leaking shit left and right to throw everyone off. I mean you would hope some GMs are smart to do that.
1719355707036.png

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
The red wings have Ben Chariot, Olli Maata, Simon Edvindsson and William Wallinder on the left, and probably want to resign Ghost.

Plus they need cap to lock up Raymond and Seider plus address the goaltending (Gibson?).

Theres no hidden agenda to the Walman transaction, thats just a good GM getting ahead of it and making capspace.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Joshua sure, but I don’t see Zadorov’s outcome having much to do with signing Toffoli, more to do with not being able to move Mikheyev. They will probably add a top-sixer regardless. Pivoting to a cheaper defenseman over Zadorov will probably be forced by virtue of the cap situation because they can’t move salary.

Joshua, on the other hand, looks somewhat like a choice to reallocate his cap space to the top six.

I think they legit want to keep Zadorov, but probably can’t. Joshua I think they resolved not to sign a while ago at anything above a certain number, which is probably significantly below his predicted market rate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad