GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not sure if it’d be enough to entice him, but I know Stamkos holds Marty in very high regard. That has to account for something. They had and I believe still have a great relationship.

I’m almost positive we’ll reach out to his camp and my guess is we’d likely offer something like 3x6 but it probably wouldn’t be enough to get it done. Remember that we usually have to overpay compared to other markets. I can see a team like Utah or Nashville throwing something stupid like 8 mill per his way.

I’d offer 3x7, personally.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I don't care, I want Stamkos here. Everyone says it doesn't make sense but I kinda think it does. He's won his cups. Now he can lead a new generation. Some people get fulfillment out of that.
Hearing they were interested in Kane was really interesting. Basu even mentioned that the type of deal Kane ended up signing may be something we're into.

I wonder if Stamkos could be swayed. Sign him 2-3 years at a higher AAV.

Regardless, we want a top 6 guy. That much is clear.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't care, I want Stamkos here. Everyone says it doesn't make sense but I kinda think it does. He's won his cups. Now he can lead a new generation. Some people get fulfillment out of that.
I'm 100% fine with Stamkos. Gives us something fun to watch while the rebuild continues.

The contract years is the worry for me. Anymore than 3 or 4 and I'm extremely against it.

Reactions: donghabs98

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Might make more sense if there was no salary cap.

There's a hidden opportunity cost in the cap world.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
BTW, Teddy Purcell, former lightning and one of Stamkos' best friends is a pro scout for us.

We definitely have guys that work here that would have Stammers ear. He also took a meeting with us in 2016 and felt good about it if I remember correctly.
6543806f420c65763b55a082e8bd17b7.png

Reactions: donghabs98

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Savard moving on at the TDL.
Demidov arriving in a year. Needs a fellow Russian.

So …
- trade Mailloux for McGroarty
- sign Zadorov to a 5 yr deal (he’s 4.5 years younger than Savvy. And 148 lbs.)

I don’t see them developing 5 or 6 d men while suzuki goes through his prime. They’re gonna accelerate that.

Out:
Mailloux

In:
Zadorov
McGroarty

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Let’s say we strike out on Stamkos, I wonder if a guy like Tarasenko makes sense as a top-six scorer? He’s not the same player anymore, but I would think a two or three year deal at a shade under 5 mill per might be enough to get that done. He’d definitely be cheaper than a Stamkos or a Marchessault. Not sure he’s the type of guy we’re after but at least he adds some offence.

Guys like Bertuzzi and DeBrusk are intriguing names but would likely command too much.

Toffoli or Monahan I’d bring back in a heartbeat if the money and term was right.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Gionta blowing a gaping cage in OT before Horton scored and the year Cam Ward stole the series.

Those were the two times I felt we had a run brewing.
Funny thing is a lot of players from that era say the 2011 team was better than 2010. If we beat Boston if would have been a Washington-Montreal rematch, I like our odds there and if Tampa beat the Flyers in this scenario, we could have had a great shot at the finals.

A lot of what ifs in Habs playoff history, 2002, 2006, 2011 and 2014 stand out to me

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
EP Rinkside doesn’t exactly have a glowing write-up for Perron in their recent UFA primer..

David Perron, RW/LW, 36-years-old​

Projected Contract: 2 x $2.9 million

Sometimes, decline hits quick, and in Perron's case it's hit real quick. Teams may look at the experience, the physicality, and the production and say that they need multiple years of Perron, but he went from solid creator to one of the least active forwards with the puck in the league in the offensive zone. Could he be a functional fourth liner? Maybe, but that's not how his contract projects.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Not sure if it’d be enough to entice him, but I know Stamkos holds Marty in very high regard. That has to account for something. They had and I believe still have a great relationship.

I’m almost positive we’ll reach out to his camp and my guess is we’d likely offer something like 3x6 but it probably wouldn’t be enough to get it done. Remember that we usually have to overpay compared to other markets. I can see a team like Utah or Nashville throwing something stupid like 8 mill per his way.

I’d offer 3x7, personally.
Stamkos also saw firsthand how Tampa's disrespect directly led to MSL leaving. I imagine that MSL can relate to what Stamkos is going through emotionally right nlow.

Not that I think we'd be favourites, but we have a unique advantage in the sense that key players Stamkos played with are here (MSL, Vinny and Purcell), Stamkos isn't ring chasing (he probably just wants a postive environment where he feels wanted/respected), we have a promising core and Stamkos gets multiple chances to burn Tampa every year if he valued that.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Let’s say we strike out on Stamkos, I wonder if a guy like Tarasenko makes sense as a top-six scorer? He’s not the same player anymore, but I would think a two or three year deal at a shade under 5 mill per might be enough to get that done. He’d definitely be cheaper than a Stamkos or a Marchessault. Not sure he’s the type of guy we’re after but at least he adds some offence.

Guys like Bertuzzi and DeBrusk are intriguing names but would likely command too much.

Toffoli or Monahan I’d bring back in a heartbeat if the money and term was right.
I think Toffoli would be a good fit and there would be mutual interest, but I also see other teams offering more term than the Habs too. Toffoli is probably looking for a 4 year deal with some trade protection if I had to bet on what he's looking for.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You cannot overestimate the impact of playing with talent for a young team. Stamkos will make Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, etc... better players. Permanently better. This is a young team. They need to be around Stamkos types, not Dvorak types. They need to learn from players like that. Dvorak loses a game and he goes to sleep without a problem. Stamkos doesn't like losing. I want our young core to hate losing too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00