Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
IMO - Joshua, Zadorov and Guentzel (and Blueger) can work IF you offload Mikheyev completely, and move on from Myers. You’d have approximately $1-$1.5M to add another defensemen, and the roster would be something like -

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Guentzel
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Aman - Podkolzin
Karlsson

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Zadorov
(Another D-Man) - Juulsen
Friedman

Demko
Silovs

I used the following contracts for this -
Guentzel - $9.5M x 7
Joshua - $3.9M x 4
Blueger - $2.2M x2
Zadorov - $5.3M x 5
Silovs - $1M x 2
yes it's a decent roster i just dont like that were still small and soft in the top 6 and would have no flexibility to pay Boeser Hoglander and Suter raises if they have good seasons. Joshua at 3.9 is too much

In fact that's my issue now that Hronek got 8 yrs and IF they get Zadorov which im fine with is that if Guentzel tails off it's yet another huge contract to manage around and were too top heavy to pay players as they have success

I would rather Debrusk and Joshua at the same cap hit as Guentzel and then having that 3.9 you allocated for Joshua as money for short term support till Lekkerimaki and Willander etc can help

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

I have my daughter’s birthday party today so I’m away from my PC all day.

-thinks Toffoli is their back-up plan in case they don’t get Guentzel

What a time line! Very smart of the Canucks to have gotten rid of picks this year so there will be less work for the draft and they can focus on free agency.

And happy birthday to Vectorette.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That’s not true at all, he said he wonders if Toffoli Could be a back up plan for Jake, considering the Canucks specifically talked about speed, he’s probably the last person I hope they get.

What I’ve come to realize with Friedman is that he has very specific ways of structuring his rumours. Think/wonder means he heard it from one person and hasn’t or can’t corroborate with another. When it’s purely his opinion he clearly states that. When he “hears” or has been “told”‘it’s either an extremely trusted source or multiple.

In this case, he was told something from someone but isn’t willing to fully run with it so he “wonders”.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Also, I can’t believe this is what I use my history degree for. Parsing through secondary and beyond sources of hockey rumours. Years buried in a, now destroyed, UBC library catacombs scouring through books and manuscripts all so I can parse Rick Dhaliwal’s stumbling babble.

Still better than some poor intern who has to dig through Gazdick's vomit bag to look for anything that's even remotely close to tolerable for sports MSM.

Reactions: ziploc

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Sucks that we were the biggest challenge for the Oilers these playoffs playing our 3rd string goalie & without our best goal scorer for game 7. With a healthy roster we were the best team in the league this year which is crazy to think about, will be a tad bittersweet winning the Cup next year if the Oilers win it this year, Canucks should’ve been the team to end Canada’s drought. Oh well, Cup or bust next season, the future has never been brighter. What a time to be a Canucks Fan!

Last edited:
Reactions: VancouverJagger

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Also, I can’t believe this is what I use my history degree for. Parsing through secondary and beyond sources of hockey rumours. Years buried in a, now destroyed, UBC library catacombs scouring through books and manuscripts all so I can parse Rick Dhaliwal’s stumbling babble.
History Majors UNITE!

Dhaliwal is today's answer to Eusebius.

Still better than some poor intern who has to dig through Gazdick's vomit bag to look for anything that's even remotely close to tolerable for sports MSM.
It's like those poor interns who have to dig through owl pellets to look for clues as to dietary habits, except it's full grown man-diarrhea and the clues they find are all just more diarrhea.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
History Majors UNITE!

Dhaliwal is today's answer to Eusebius.

It's like those poor interns who have to dig through owl pellets to look for clues as to dietary habits, except it's full grown man-diarrhea and the clues they find are all just more diarrhea.

I am nowhere near a history major but I do enjoy greatly watching the inaccuracies in some shows that are so blatant and so egregious, that even a dumbass such as myself would think such inaccuracies could only happen if you had the power to warp reality like Franklin Richards.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I am nowhere near a history major but I do enjoy greatly watching the inaccuracies in some shows that are so blatant and so egregious, that even a dumbass such as myself would think such inaccuracies could only happen if you had the power to warp reality like Franklin Richards.
"History" is not, as many people think, an objective record of what happened. It is an extremely subjective record of certain things that people decided were worth recording, for a variety of reasons.

We are maybe getting better at rounding out the story by using quantitative historical techniques, but what we choose to look at and the lenses through which we examine and interpret things are still hugely biased by our cultural situations and priorities.

So, there are choices we make in the presentation of "history" that massively affect the way people view and understand the past. The more effective and convincing the presentation, the more widespread that "truth" becomes in our cultural narrative. It's why I am extremely wary of most "historical" films, shows, theatre productions, online material and even books. It isn't that they are biased - of course they are. It's that we don't tend to have the critical thinking ability to parse out that bias. We watch something and we think we know it now, but we don't even know how or why the people producing the display chose to do it that way. And that narrative gets locked in.

All of that said, Messier is still objectively a giant idiot.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

My college certificate in film studies has also equally prepared me for a life of moderating hockey discussions while also being in finance. :laugh:

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
If they don’t get Guentzel Jonathan Marchessault should be plan b. The only problem is that he does not fix the power play. All the other wingers are so indiscernible that you just wait til until the market dries up and you can sign someone to a bargain contract.

Reactions: Lindgren

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think he’s a guy who could break out in the right situation.

Ottawa being a young team is a mark in favour of that - Travis Green being its coach, on the other hand…
I hated Green as a HC but he did give Hoglander a good role as a rookie plus I’d imagine he’ll be more favourable toward Staios players than previous regime players

I hope Kaliyev gets a real shot in a top 6 role, I’m curious to see how he does with that opportunity

Reactions: Chiripa20

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Ottawa needs the opposite of Kaliyev.

They have lots of young offensive players.

They need to sign Bluegers and Soucys and Coles and improve from being the 26th-ranked defensive team in the NHL with the 29th ranked PK.

They are basically in the same situation we were in last year and should be following the exact same blueprint to move forward.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My college certificate in film studies has also equally prepared me for a life of moderating hockey discussions while also being in finance. :laugh:
People with degrees in the humanities do better in business than people with degrees in business (commerce, etc.).

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
"History" is not, as many people think, an objective record of what happened. It is an extremely subjective record of certain things that people decided were worth recording, for a variety of reasons.

We are maybe getting better at rounding out the story by using quantitative historical techniques, but what we choose to look at and the lenses through which we examine and interpret things are still hugely biased by our cultural situations and priorities.

So, there are choices we make in the presentation of "history" that massively affect the way people view and understand the past. The more effective and convincing the presentation, the more widespread that "truth" becomes in our cultural narrative. It's why I am extremely wary of most "historical" films, shows, theatre productions, online material and even books. It isn't that they are biased - of course they are. It's that we don't tend to have the critical thinking ability to parse out that bias. We watch something and we think we know it now, but we don't even know how or why the people producing the display chose to do it that way. And that narrative gets locked in.

All of that said, Messier is still objectively a giant idiot.
I love history, and Dan Carlin had a good quote, and I’m paraphrasing, that history is our interpretation of the past through the current sociopolitical lense. It’s why you can get an evolving perspective of ancient persons notwithstanding that no real evidence has been unearthed.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I love history, and Dan Carlin had a good quote, and I’m paraphrasing, that history is our interpretation of the past through the current sociopolitical lense. It’s why you can get an evolving perspective of ancient persons notwithstanding that no real evidence has been unearthed.
Yes. "History" tells us as much or more about ourselves than it does the past.

The danger is when we make our current interpretations and preoccupations absolute, the only viable lens through which to understand the past. We shape it to fit our current needs and ends, and it becomes a power struggle to determine who gets to own the story and to use it to prop up their view of how things were/how things should be. At its best, an approach that recognizes a diversity of approaches and perspectives can give us a fuller picture of the past - and this is frequently needed in order to hear voices that have been silenced by the dominant narrative. At its worst it becomes a battlefield for socio-political power that silences perspectives and evidence that does not fit one's current worldview.

And none of this means that Messier was anything less than a giant dog turd.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Some shit is just universally true.
1719080692584.png

Reactions: Vector

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Hear me out... Mikael Granlund @2.5m from San Jose for Third line center. Hoglander, mikhayev and 25' second going back the other way

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
i want Toffoli and P.Kane, they should be relatively cheap and they have stanley cup final experience which would calm the team down during the playoffs. Who cares if Kane is a jerk?

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad