Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Who hasn't crapped on management for Mikheyev's contract?

Edit- someone immediately defended it in this thread. I disagree with them.
The signing wasn't great, but it wasn't catastrophic until he became a speedster with only one leg. That wasn't anyone's fault. The takeaway is to beware of overspending on middle six wingers.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I'm extremely curious what the Canucks plan B is.

My plan B would be to maintain flexibility heading into the season (aka the "let Ottawa implode" plan). Retain Joshua and Zadorov, try and bring in another defenseman with term (Carrier?), and then get a bunch of one-year deals up front. Eg, Arvidsson and Zucker ... potentially more guys as people get bought out and not qualified (I've got my eye on Luke Kunin).

Take on one-year cap dumps like Jeannot, Thomas, Iaffalo, etc. Try to clear Poolman in excahnge for one of these guys so that we can actually accumulate cap space during the season.

Reactions: mriswith

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember speculation about him wanting a trade "closer to home" before he was traded out of Buffalo. It sounded like he wanted to be on the west coast.

The contract he is likely looking for is likely scary.

Yeah, he's a guy given his family and family business who is exceedingly likely to retire in Vancouver.

Contract can't be much different from Guentzel. He's obviously going to regress from the 57 goals this year but he's averaged 35 goals/82 over the 3 seasons before that, is younger, and has been much more durable.

Reinhart might also be a guy more willing to take a hometown discount because his family is so exceedingly rich.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I imagine Carolina will trade Guentzel’s rights if he isn’t signed by the draft.

If he was going to sign there—It seems like it would’ve happened by now. The eighth year is appealing, but there’s been more than enough buzz that plenty of other teams will pay him the same amount across seven years as what Carolina could afford to give him across eight.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Reinhart is going to get massively overpaid and I hope we're nowhere near that.

If we miss on Guentzel then I hope we just bargain bin the wings, try to land another d upgrade and leave some ammo in reserve for in season trades when certain teams seasons fall apart (looking at you Ottawa with Green)

Guentzel is going to get overpaid as well, so pass on him too?

No bargain bet is going to come close to the impact of Reinhart or Guentzel.

Edit: This is the issue with where this team is at in their cycle and the scarcity of what is likely to become available. They're going to have to do something that hurts value wise in order to get a top addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: pitseleh

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
It's weird that there is so much Guentzel speculation (both here and across the NHL) and so little Reinhart speculation (again, both here and across the NHL) when Reinhart is younger, had a better season, and is a local kid as opposed to American. Like, it's actually kind of weird that Reinhart isn't the Plan A.

Interestingly, both of Sam Reinhart's brothers have now retired from hockey and a Linkedin search shows that both are living in Vancouver and working for Paul Reinhart's finance company (Vanhart). So he still has a ton of ties and family connections here and is about as local as it gets.
I think it’s because most people believe he’s re signing in FLA

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah, he's a guy given his family and family business who is exceedingly likely to retire in Vancouver.

Contract can't be much different from Guentzel. He's obviously going to regress from the 57 goals this year but he's averaged 35 goals/82 over the 3 seasons before that, is younger, and has been much more durable.

Reinhart might also be a guy more willing to take a hometown discount because his family is so exceedingly rich.

Also gets a plus for being able to slot into centre position (RHS) in a pinch and has tremendous defensive impacts. On equal contracts I would have to lean Reinhart for all of those reasons.

IMO Reinhart winning the cup increases the chances that he would want to come back home having accomplished a major career milestone, and maybe he has that drive to help his home town team win it all.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If we sign a top 6 winger like Guentzel or Reinhart, it is almost certainly at the eventual expense of Boeser. Hard to imagine the make-up of a team with four 8 million plus forwards, plus Hronek and Hughes' raise. The rest of the lineup would have to involve a lot of bargains and ELCs.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Edit: This is the issue with where this team is at in their cycle and the scarcity of what is likely to become available. They're going to have to do something that hurts value wise in order to get a top addition.
I think Guentzel is worth significantly more than Reinhart moving forward but they'll be on similar contracts.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I wonder if Allvin will surprise us with another trade like last year, where he picks up a middle aged player "mid twenties" such as Hronek last year that is entering their prime. With Jakob Chychrun rumored being on the block, Allvin may have interest. These upcoming days will be interesting.
Liljegren will most likely be available post-free agency depending on how well the Leafs do.

Great skater, puck mover with offensive upside, fallen out of favor in Toronto, and needs a new contract. Most importantly, can be locked down medium term with medium money, which is Rutherford’s MO at all times.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's weird that there is so much Guentzel speculation (both here and across the NHL) and so little Reinhart speculation (again, both here and across the NHL) when Reinhart is younger, had a better season, and is a local kid as opposed to American. Like, it's actually kind of weird that Reinhart isn't the Plan A.

Interestingly, both of Sam Reinhart's brothers have now retired from hockey and a Linkedin search shows that both are living in Vancouver and working for Paul Reinhart's finance company (Vanhart). So he still has a ton of ties and family connections here and is about as local as it gets.

I think the base assumption is Guentzel is more likely to be available, with Reinhart saying he'd prefer to stay in Florida and the Panthers probably looking to sign him. I'd generally agree, though, that they should be in the same conversation if they both get to market.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also gets a plus for being able to slot into centre position (RHS) in a pinch and has tremendous defensive impacts. On equal contracts I would have to lean Reinhart for all of those reasons.

Yeah, given his C flexibility and better defensive play he seems like more of a Tocchet player as well.

It's weird that there has been so little speculation about him. Maybe because Florida was still playing until a couple days ago? Or people just assume he'll re-sign there?

Like, this is the best Vancouver-born UFA in ages and ... crickets.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah, given his C flexibility and better defensive play he seems like more of a Tocchet player as well.

It's weird that there has been so little speculation about him. Maybe because Florida was still playing until a couple days ago? Or people just assume he'll re-sign there?

Like I edited in my last post, I think him winning the cup makes it more likely for him to come here now that that career milestone is done and dusted.

Reactions: pitseleh

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Agreed. Some time ago you could build a great team with depth because other teams would often run out plugs in their bottom six / bottom pairing but that’s not really the case any more - the top teams have stars and good depth.

Think the team adding one more top level contributor is basically table stakes to be in the conversation with the other top teams in the league. Then they will have to nail their depth signings with the limited cap room they have.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pan B
Lindholm to BOS for a 3rd
3rd plus 5th for Hayton

sign
Debrusk 5.5 x 6
Zadorov 4.9 x 6
Joshua 3.25 x 4
Myers 3 x 1
Edmundson 2.5 x 1
Hayton 2.3 x 3
Silovs 1.2 x 2

Cup Parade June 2025

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks have $19 million for 3 forwards, 3 defenders, and a backup goalie (presumably Silovs). Pending UFA’s are Lindholm, Joshua, Zadorov, Myers, Cole.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson- Empty
Empty - Empty - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Blueger - Podkolzin
Aman

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Empty
Empty-Empty
Freidman/Juulsen

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
what's your point here?

it was a fine signing at the time

No, it was not.

Mikheyev is a very solid player. Very strong two-way impacts and will help the PK. Brings a lot of speed and forechecking help.

His lack of scoring is overblown. On an ES rate basis, he's as productive as Bo Horvat. He'll help the team and the contract is fair.

This you ?

it was a bit of an overpayment, as FAs are, but other than ppl complaining it was the "wrong time", which we know now, it wasn't, it was a fine signing.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I think the consensus around the entire NHL is that he'll re-sign with the Panthers. The media also usually leave guys alone for a bit after they win the cup.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The signing wasn't great, but it wasn't catastrophic until he became a speedster with only one leg. That wasn't anyone's fault. The takeaway is to beware of overspending on middle six wingers.
I never would have given him that. In our particular situation I wouldn't have wanted Michael Grabner coming off of his 30 one dimensional goals for 4.75x4. By our situation I mean I leaned towards overcaution on making bets because of the untangling of the cap that was necessary. I hated the Mikheyev bet. I feel like he got everything and sacrificed nothing contract wise and I wanted different standards for making bets.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Canucks have $19 million for 3 forwards, 3 defenders, and a backup goalie (presumably Silovs). Pending UFA’s are Lindholm, Joshua, Zadorov, Myers, Cole.
Silovs is gonna make less than Tolopilio. We have before the Joshua signing 17 players on the roster the Stars would have 12 after buying out Suter that is the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad