Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I can understand a bit of a retention, but mikheyev going one for one would never happen lol. And in one of the lineups I saw above w Laine and guentzel, it also had zad and tanev and Dillon 😂

Ahh it's nice to dream🤭

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Any chance Tampa would entertain a Jeannot for Poolman contract + mid round pick type of deal?

He could be a possible Joshua replacement (he had 40 pts one season in Nashville).

They get 2.5m for LTIR purposes & recoup a 3rd/4th round pick.

Jeannots cap hit is 2.6m for 1 more season

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I like this management's style whereby they rationally choose the conditions for whether they'll do a certain thing, then move on to something else if those conditions aren't met instead of revisiting the emotional dimensions of that earlier decision like a breakup and trying to talk themselves into reversing it. It sounds like they will make a final, binding offer to Zadorov that they will immediately sign if he accepts it, then move on to building the defence without him if he doesn't.

this dude vouches for the cheetos cheesy jalapeño mac n cheese

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Any chance Tampa would entertain a Jeannot for Poolman contract + mid round pick type of deal?

He could be a possible Joshua replacement (he had 40 pts one season in Nashville).

They get 2.5m for LTIR purposes & recoup a 3rd/4th round pick.

Jeannots cap hit is 2.6m for 1 more season

TB isn’t in LTIR right now so there’s no reason for them to entertain the swap. Right now only five teams are projected to start the season utilizing LTIR: Canucks, Flyers, Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Capitals.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
TB isn’t in LTIR right now so there’s no reason for them to entertain the swap. Right now only five teams are projected to start the season utilizing LTIR: Canucks, Flyers, Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Capitals.
Dang thats a bummer. For some reason I thought they were in LTIR already so that could have been a reasonable swap.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Dang thats a bummer. For some reason I thought they were in LTIR already so that could have been a reasonable swap.

Seabrook’s contract expired this soff-season and they’ve let enough players go over the years that they’ll go into the season with a tiny amount of cap space for the first time in years.

Reactions: Lindgren

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I'm still not convinced Zadorov will be back.

Just too much interest in the open market.

But if he does, I'd expect a Hronek trade almost immediately thereafter.
Why?

They don’t even play on the same side nor bring the same skillset. Canucks can still afford Hronek and Zadorov at around 12M.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I'm someone who is a big believer in momentum, 'vibe' around the team, sense of direction playing into the results a team generates more than just looking at names on paper and trying to project.

If the team loses warriors like Joshua and Zadorov while keeping a non-contributor like Mikheyev, I'd bet we'll see a massive sag in performance next year. This is what happened in 2007 when management didn't back up the players, and this is what happened in 2020 when management didn't back up the players.

There is a 0% chance that you'd see Mikheyev back if he was on TB or Vegas. This is a litmus test for management to get shit done and be a cutthroat big boy club, and if they end up bringing back Mikheyev over Zadorov/Joshua it's just a massive failure.
Oh man this is an awful take and not really surprised it came with 20 likes.

Mikheyev was pretty darn good for the first half of the year.

He was coming off an ACL tear with no training camp. The first year back was always going to be an uphill battle.

The exaggeration and constant doom and gloom here is so laughably childish. We’ll be ok if we don’t overpay a third liner and third pairing defenseman. Use some critical thinking.

Don't forget that 99% of you guys were saying the exact same things about guys like Boeser, Miller, Garland, Myers, etc.

You guys haven't learned your lessons yet eh?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
A lot of people are idiots.
This seems like hindsight bias.

Nobody was thrilled with losing Tanev, but most of the board saw the rationale based on how often Tanev was hurt.

It turned out that he was hurt because he plays balls to the walls D and we never had the puck. But it wasn't as cut and dry as a few idiots were okay with it. Almost everyone could at least see the rationale.

Reactions: tradervik

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would move our 2025 1st rounder that's top 5 Protected in a Heartbeat this season.
We are trying to win here, the Window is only a few years, We need to go for it, we need all the cap space + Players we can get.

Mikheyev has a pretty friendly Buyout, so I don't think trading a 1st for him makes sense.

But if they really did want a ton of cap space, 5m is a lot, It lets you Overpay Zadorov and hronek by 1m each, and leaves 3m extra to get Myers for free basically.

It's significant.

And we would still have cap space to find a legit winger or two, It does make sense honestly.

I still would prefer to buyout Mikheyev, saving 3.6m this year and 2.6 next year for a 1.4 penalty seems easily doable.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We have $29m in Cap Space if we Trade Mikheyev, and or 27.5ish if we buy out Mikheyev.

Zadorov 5x5 (I think would get it done)
Leaves us with 24m
Hronek at 7.5x6
Leaves us with 16.5m
Tyler Myers at 3x3
Leaves us with 13.5m

Now we need a Top 6 F, 3rd line C, Resign Silovs, and a Budget mid Winger.
Juulson is our 6th D cheap until WIllander at the end of the year.
Add Depth at the Deadline for D.

Let's say our third liner C will cost 2.5m
Leaves us with 11m
Silovs 1m
Leaves us with 10m
You can go out and get a Guentzil for 8.5/9m or a cheaper Debrusk for 6m + Another 1.5m-ish D.

Leaves us with 1/2m in Cap Space (Maybe give Z another .25 or Myers .25)

And this leaves us with guys from Abby to take the 4th line spots like Raty or Sasson or even Lekkerimaki
It's not as impossible as it looks, and these are all pretty realistic projections honestly.

Last edited:

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Just wanna say the moment Zadorov signs im ordering his jersey. Too bad it's only Fanatics garbage now.

If this is reliable info, might not be so bad for jerseys next season. 3 tiers: "collector" Made in Montreal NHL spec jerseys ($400USD), a "premium" fan jersey that is similar spec and price to the Adidas jerseys, and then the low tier Fanatics we already have.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Oh man this is an awful take and not really surprised it came with 20 likes.

Mikheyev was pretty darn good for the first half of the year.

He was coming off an ACL tear with no training camp. The first year back was always going to be an uphill battle.

The exaggeration and constant doom and gloom here is so laughably childish. We’ll be ok if we don’t overpay a third liner and third pairing defenseman. Use some critical thinking.

Don't forget that 99% of you guys were saying the exact same things about guys like Boeser, Miller, Garland, Myers, etc.

You guys haven't learned your lessons yet eh?
giphy.gif

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Chatfield:
-wasn't working out with Travis Green
-will have a tonne of interest as a UFA; including Canucks
-Hurricanes trying to re-sign him; Brind'Amour likes him a lot
-Green didn't have time for projects

Joshua:
-has heard there will be tremendous interest as a UFA

Zadorov:
-very quiet; no progress, negotiating, nor offers
-Milstein upset with members in the media reporting that they are close to a deal

Myers:
-continue to talk to him; talks are taking place

Canucks:
-a lot of balls in the air; working on a lot of things
-trying to get rid of bad contracts
-trying to make some trades
-none of the pending UFAs have informed the Canucks they will go to July 1st
-not hearing of any significant progress with any pending UFA

Allvin and his squad don't leak shit is what Im getting from this. (And what history has shown)

Reactions: tradervik

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
This seems like hindsight bias.

Nobody was thrilled with losing Tanev, but most of the board saw the rationale based on how often Tanev was hurt.

It turned out that he was hurt because he plays balls to the walls D and we never had the puck. But it wasn't as cut and dry as a few idiots were okay with it. Almost everyone could at least see the rationale.
It wasn’t just injuries. That was just one part of it. People thought he was declining and that Benning could upgrade him. I distinctly remember Sat and Riccio taking about how Tanev was declining and how the team should consider moving on.

The reality is that moving on from Tanev was really dumb at the time and in hindsight. He was never the problem here and was one of the few players that could defend. Ironically, Benning always talked about getting good veterans and all that crap and Tanev was literally the perfect veteran and they had him and let him go. Even if he was declining he was worth it just in terms of leadership.

And Tanev’s contract that he signed with Calgary was extremely reasonable and no doubt he would have signed for less in Vancouver.

Overall just a huge miss and anyone that advocated in the slightest for letting Tanev go (with a young Quinn Hughes in the wings that adored him) needs to take a big L here.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It wasn’t just injuries. That was just one part of it. People thought he was declining and that Benning could upgrade him. I distinctly remember Sat and Riccio taking about how Tanev was declining and how the team should consider moving on.

The reality is that moving on from Tanev was really dumb at the time and in hindsight. He was never the problem here and was one of the few players that could defend. Ironically, Benning always talked about getting good veterans and all that crap and Tanev was literally the perfect veteran and they had him and let him go. Even if he was declining he was worth it just in terms of leadership.

And Tanev’s contract that he signed with Calgary was extremely reasonable and no doubt he would have signed for less in Vancouver.

Overall just a huge miss and anyone that advocated in the slightest for letting Tanev go (with a young Quinn Hughes in the wings that adored him) needs to take a big L here.
With Tanev, context matters. A big factor in Tanev's resurgent health was simply getting away from a Travis Green-coached team. His rope-a-dope style was brutal for dmen who repeatedly needed to go back for puck retrievals and board battles during prolonged stretches of being hemmed in their own zone. Under Sutter, play was more structured, meaning less wear and tear.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This makes no sense when they traded Kuzmenko 40 games fresh off a 2 year extension.

Kuzmenko is a different animal in my opinion, he obviously was completely incompatible with Tocchet and the coaching staff, and I think that was a big driver on moving him. They clearly like a lot of things about Mikheyev's underlying game, and I think in their minds he's a player with good underlying work ethic and skillset that's just "struggling mentally". I think there's a not-so-crazy chance they bring him back and claim he'll bounceback if they can't move him without penalty assets.

I don't really agree since I haven't liked the contract since it was signed. I don't wholly dislike the player as a third/fourth liner, but the contract is straight up gross. If he was paid about half what he makes currently I would probably just shrug at him, and focus on more blatant salary inefficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad