Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Patrik Laine is intriguing, he's been probably the laziest player along with Dubois for the last few years, but man can he shoot/score and has a 6'5 frame.

I always felt he's even a better goal scorer than Matthews, but only give 50% effort on ice.

If Tocchet can make Laine focus on hockey, and give his all, then he's the type of forward that moves the needle even more so than Guentzel.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Patrik Laine is intriguing, he's been probably the laziest player along with Dubois for the last few years, but man can he shoot/score and has a 6'5 frame.

I always felt he's even a better goal scorer than Matthews, but only give 50% effort on ice.

If Tocchet can make Laine focus on hockey, and give his all, then he's the type of forward that moves the needle even more so than Guentzel.

I agree, but at what point is he worth that gamble? How many teams and coaches does he get to go through? When do you look at his contract as not an anchor?

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
When do we hear about the clandestine flight to Stockholm by the Canucks Brass, Tocchet and the Sedins to make an impassioned plea to Lindholm to resign.

Hopefully before the Crayfish and Bilberry Festivals.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

a huge risk that could be mitigated somewhat by Mikheyev and retention being involved in any trade. Still not sure you do it though. I'd think you'd need to include another FA signing for the top 9 as well.

Total spitballing:
Suter Miller Boeser
Hoglander EP Guentzel
Podz Blueger Garland
? Aman PDG

Hughes Zad
Soucy Tanev
Dillon Myers

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiripa20

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Is Vrana worth a reclamation offer? Would probably be cheap but he probably signs with whoever can offer him the best opportunity at top 6 minutes. Still just 28.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Again with Mikheyev, there's two options:
1. Take back another crap contract
2. Pay assets to move him

If they don't like #2 they have to do #1 unless they wait which I don't believe they can afford to do.
the longer they wait, the less time they will have withh the impending free agents.

sometimes vancouver needs another finisher besides brock to pick goalies apart. nobody on this current squad shoots much. miller sometimes boeser. petterson barely.. imgaine a 2nd line of patrick laine petterson+guenztel. lots of goals will be scored.

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
Vrana probably gets a 1 year $2 mil year on a bottom feeder team where he'll get offensive opportunities, and the team gets the chance of flipping him at the deadline for a pick if he turns it around.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I like this management's style whereby they rationally choose the conditions for whether they'll do a certain thing, then move on to something else if those conditions aren't met instead of revisiting the emotional dimensions of that earlier decision like a breakup and trying to talk themselves into reversing it. It sounds like they will make a final, binding offer to Zadorov that they will immediately sign if he accepts it, then move on to building the defence without him if he doesn't.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
the longer they wait, the less time they will have withh the impending free agents.

sometimes vancouver needs another finisher besides brock to pick goalies apart. nobody on this current squad shoots much. miller sometimes boeser. petterson barely.. imgaine a 2nd line of patrick laine petterson+guenztel. lots of goals will be scored.
Agreed and its one of the reasons I'm interested in Kaliyev if he shakes loose. Have Garland set him up and let him shoot to his hearts content.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't see much similarity in our situation this off-season and the 2020 off-season.

First, these are radically different front offices in terms of competence and execution. Also, just the raw available man-hours of attention differs wildly. 'Nuff said on that.

Second, Benning and Co showed no interest in even engaging the players they let go. By all reports, they didn't even make a phone call to Tanev's agent. They had pretty clearly moved on from these assets and had other targets in mind.
Yeah I was going to post something similar. There are some parrallel themes but in the last two years some fans have gotten carried away with "like Benning!" situations.

The key thing I would focus on is 2020 was basically easy mode, and Benning voluntarily chose not to retain chasing after other players instead. The cap was flat, the players wanted to be here, their contract demands were more than reasonable as were the contracts they actually did sign elsewhere. It should have been the easiest job in the world to keep that team together, but Benning just couldn't help himself and went full Jim Benning.

This current situation on the other hand is more like hard mode. The players (Lindholm aside maybe) want to be here, and the Canucks management want to keep them. But the cap is going up again, and each player is demanding and expecting to receive maybe $1-2M more per year on the open market which prices the Canucks out of being able to keep them all.

To get everyone signed right now today I would guesstimate you need to pay Lindholm 8.5x8, Hronek 8x8, Zadorov 6x6, Joshua 4x5, and to clear cap pay a 1st and 2nd to move Mikheyev which might not even clear enough cap space to make it work.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Is Vrana worth a reclamation offer? Would probably be cheap but he probably signs with whoever can offer him the best opportunity at top 6 minutes. Still just 28.

I know it's not a popular name, but I'm certain the Canucks have been linked to Victor Olofsson before. If they end up going bargain bin hunting, I could see them going back to him.

Trying to remember all the players we've been linked to in current and past seasons. (note: this is not a list of people I'm interested in, just a list I remember being linked to the Canucks at one time or another)

Jake Guentzel
Tyler Toffoli
Jason Zucker
Victor Olofsson
Kevin Labanc
Jake DeBrusk
Alexander Barabanov
Chandler Stephenson
Brandon Duhaime

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
One of the very best things about Resigning Zadorov is that Your Vancouver Canucks would not have to play against him for a while.

Reactions: David71

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah I was going to post something similar. There are some parrallel themes but in the last two years some fans have gotten carried away with "like Benning!" situations.

The key thing I would focus on is 2020 was basically easy mode, and Benning voluntarily chose not to retain chasing after other players instead. The cap was flat, the players wanted to be here, their contract demands were more than reasonable as were the contracts they actually did sign elsewhere. It should have been the easiest job in the world to keep that team together, but Benning just couldn't help himself and went full Jim Benning.

This current situation on the other hand is more like hard mode. The players (Lindholm aside maybe) want to be here, and the Canucks management want to keep them. But the cap is going up again, and each player is demanding and expecting to receive maybe $1-2M more per year on the open market which prices the Canucks out of being able to keep them all.

To get everyone signed right now today I would guesstimate you need to pay Lindholm 8.5x8, Hronek 8x8, Zadorov 6x6, Joshua 4x5, and to clear cap pay a 1st and 2nd to move Mikheyev which might not even clear enough cap space to make it work.

That was the thing about that season. I remember not wanting to re-seign Tofu, not because I didn't like him and his fit... but because I thought he would price himself out... then we saw what he signed for and I was like I would have signed that contract every day and twice on Sunday...

There was just no reason to not re-sign him and Tanev that year with the deals the ended up signing.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I know it's not a popular name, but I'm certain the Canucks have been linked to Victor Olofsson before. If they end up going bargain bin hunting, I could see them going back to him.

Trying to remember all the players we've been linked to in current and past seasons. (note: this is not a list of people I'm interested in, just a list I remember being linked to the Canucks at one time or another)

Jake Guentzel
Tyler Toffoli
Jason Zucker
Victor Olofsson
Kevin Labanc
Jake DeBrusk
Alexander Barabanov
Chandler Stephenson
Brandon Duhaime

Olofsson SSSUUUCCCKKKSSS!!!!*

*I’ve had a few beers

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Again with Mikheyev, there's two options:
1. Take back another crap contract
2. Pay assets to move him
Buyout

Also, trade with Hronek. If the cost to dump Mikheyev is a 2nd as Serevelli says then: Hronek, Mikheyev, and Poolman to SJS for Pitts 1st. SJS have no RHD.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Jake Guentzel
Tyler Toffoli
Jason Zucker
Victor Olofsson
Kevin Labanc
Jake DeBrusk
Alexander Barabanov
Chandler Stephenson
Brandon Duhaime
I have an affinity for Olofsson because I think at some point 20-25 years ago there was a brand of bread or cheese or something with a similar-sounding name and they had a catchy jingle

• Haha
Reactions: quat

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Buyout

Also, trade with Hronek. If the cost to dump Mikheyev is a 2nd as Serevelli says then: Hronek, Mikheyev, and Poolman to SJS for Pitts 1st. SJS have no RHD.
Mikheyev has a 12 team no trade NTC, gotta figure SJ must be on it with how terrible they are now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad