Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Guentzel would be a very nice, but expensive signing. If he makes it to July 1 I’d be surprised if the Canucks don’t get him. But you never know how stupid another franchise might be.

My guess: 7 years, $9.5M AAV.

To make it work, I think the Canucks NEED Lekkerimaki to make the jump. He’s a highly touted first round pick. These guys, if they have NHL top 6 potential, tend to make the jump fairly quickly. If he’s as good as we hope (and need him to be) he should force his way onto team. Suddenly a top 6 of:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Guentzel-Pettersson-Lekkerimaki

Doesn’t seem so bad.

The next priorities should be a right handed 3C, and addressing the D.

I love Zadorov and what he did in the playoffs but we can’t afford to pay a 4/5D north of $5M. He’s a luxury we can’t afford. Ideally the Canucks bring in two second pair defensemen (no, not Myers), but I don’t see it working with the money.
1718865147960.gif

Holy shit🤣

I pretty much agree with everything you said above, minus Zadorov

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
ian mcintyre said on radio "i spoke to an agent that said the canucks are trying to save their money because they have a bigger piece in mind".:oops::oops:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Mmm wonder what's the biggest fish available this summer in trade then.
guess we shall wait and see. wonder what it would take to get buchvenich out of st louis? allvin emphasized on another puckmover in the defense corps someone besides hughes. wonder what nick leddy would be a nice piece? i know hes a lefty but two pairings that can move the puck will help immensely.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
guess we shall wait and see. wonder what it would take to get buchvenich out of st louis? allvin emphasized on another puckmover in the defense corps someone besides hughes. wonder what nick leddy would be a nice piece? i know hes a lefty but two pairings that can move the puck will help immensely.
Not sure we have the assets to trade for Buchvenich and he'll be looking for a big deal next season not sure good idea paying a winger that into his late 30's. Leddy would be nice if we miss out on Big Z though.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Not sure we have the assets to trade for Buchvenich and he'll be looking for a big deal next season not sure good idea paying a winger that into his late 30's. Leddy would be nice if we miss out on Big Z though.
same thing can be said about guentzel 30yrs old not 25. but hes a scorer which vancouver needs.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Guentzel has a history with Allvin and Rutherford--but blowing the wad on a soon to be 30 year old winger is a questionable investment imo.

They'd be better off to bring back Lindholm, who's basically the same age. The reality is, if they're serious about re-upping Zadorov and Joshua, then they'd be basically down to pocket change to fill out the rest of their roster.

Unfortunately replacing those guys on the league-wide UFA market will be all but impossible.

Reactions: dez

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Guentzel would be a very nice, but expensive signing. If he makes it to July 1 I’d be surprised if the Canucks don’t get him. But you never know how stupid another franchise might be.

My guess: 7 years, $9.5M AAV.

To make it work, I think the Canucks NEED Lekkerimaki to make the jump. He’s a highly touted first round pick. These guys, if they have NHL top 6 potential, tend to make the jump fairly quickly. If he’s as good as we hope (and need him to be) he should force his way onto team. Suddenly a top 6 of:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Guentzel-Pettersson-Lekkerimaki

Doesn’t seem so bad.

The next priorities should be a right handed 3C, and addressing the D.

I love Zadorov and what he did in the playoffs but we can’t afford to pay a 4/5D north of $5M. He’s a luxury we can’t afford. Ideally the Canucks bring in two second pair defensemen (no, not Myers), but I don’t see it working with the money.
Thought this mf was permabanned? Oh well.

If 65m is the actual target as rumored, I think I'm OK with sending a 2026 3rd or whatever to Carolina for Guentzel's rights.

8.1 x 8 fits a lot better than 9.3 x 7 imo. The extra year doesn't matter at that point, and with the OEL crunch incoming, every dollar matters.

That 1m could be the difference between keeping Zadorov/Joshua or bringing Tanev home.
Would have to be a sign and trade, which presumably would cost more than trading for his rights (which was rumoured to be a 3rd + 5th iirc?).

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Guentzel should have been the original target. Kuz for Lindholm never made sense.

It's like Alvin was a step behind on everything. He tried to move Mikheyev, but prioritized dealing Kuz first, and thus being forced to send $ back to Calgary.

It took about 10 minutes for PA to realize what every Flame fan could tell you, Lindholm is not some play driving winger/C combo for the Pettersson line. Lindholm gets quickly injured, and now there's no way to bring in Guentzel without dealing Lindholm for an immediate loss, and/or likely moving a prospect he wasn't willing to move.

A little bit of saving grace, was that EP was so bad, that Lindholm looked like a savior for the 2C role, but.. yea that's about it.

Absolutely ZERO posters here would have made that trade if they were told at the time, that it would have led to nothing more than beating Nashville. ZERO. Anyone who says otherwise with a straight face, isn't invited to my poker nights.
Find my posts from that period.

Us pushing the 2nd round to a competitive series was always my barometer of success. And yes, that includes after the trade.

Reactions: DimitriL07

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Just what is the real cap space?
Is it the 16+ million?
Or is it still around 20+ million?

This is a possibility because CF includes several AHL players on the NHL cap.
Part timers Podkolzin, Juulsen, Freidman, Topolio are all included.
That's another 3.5+million.

IF Juulsen and Friedman's cap hits were used to sign Zadorov that lower's defence cap hit by over 1.5 mil. That 1.5 could be used for big Z. So signing him for 5 would be 3.5 added to the NHL cap hit.

Leaving 13.5 mil for one more dman, Myers and close to 10+ mil for ? and Joshua.

The team will need to move salary anyway so if Mik and Gar, maybe even BB due to his likely cap hit on his next contract and this year could be his best, so his value may never be higher.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Just what is the real cap space?
Is it the 16+ million?
Or is it still around 20+ million?

This is a possibility because CF includes several AHL players on the NHL cap.
Part timers Podkolzin, Juulsen, Freidman, Topolio are all included.
That's another 3.5+million.

IF Juulsen and Friedman's cap hits were used to sign Zadorov that lower's defence cap hit by over 1.5 mil. That 1.5 could be used for big Z. So signing him for 5 would be 3.5 added to the NHL cap hit.

Leaving 13.5 mil for one more dman, Myers and close to 10+ mil for ? and Joshua.

The team will need to move salary anyway so if Mik and Gar, maybe even BB due to his likely cap hit on his next contract and this year could be his best, so his value may never be higher.

CAP SPACE WITH LTIR CANDIDATES
Tooltip
: $18,553,333​

That's with a 17 man roster. If you take away the 3.5M for "part timers" you have 22M and have to sign 9 players then. IF they are going to sign Guentzal to 9.5 and Zad to 5. That would leave about 8M to 7 players. So you might as well fit in the rest of those "part timers" back onto the roster because you won't be signing anyone over a million.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There's a path to keeping Zadorov + Joshua and adding Guentzel, but it involves dumping Mikheyev and filling out the roster with cheap contracts (IE, Blueger and Myers are not coming back).
If Mikheyev and Garland are both moved then Myers could be retained AND a good chance for signing Dillion as well.

While I still think Guentzel is a lost loser contract in the long term for a "win at all costs" Benning type move might work for two years but after that then Miller and Guentzel will definitely be on the downside of their careers.

IMO I still think there might be a world where Necas can come here.
What if often injured Demko is traded to Carolina with Garland for a signed 7 X 7mil Necas and Anderson if he waives or ? That would be a cap neutral trade if Andersson.

The Canucks might even be able to move Mikheyev for Laine with up to 50% retention, I think because of Laine's past a sweetener might be in order. One of their too many AAA prospects. Marchenko would be nice, even if the Nux had to add in Karlsson, Bains, Brisebois, ?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Guentzel is much, much better than Necas.

As I've said before, if the team whiffs on Guentzel instead of pursing the likes of middling solutions like Debrusk/Necas/Teravainen, I would sign some one year deals to maintain flexibility (Zucker, Arvidsson, Perron, Barabanov, etc), and try and make an in-season move - Konecny, Tkachuk, etc.

Hell I prefer this strategy to even pursuiing Guentzel.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

CAP SPACE WITH LTIR CANDIDATES
Tooltip
: $18,553,333​

That's with a 17 man roster. If you take away the 3.5M for "part timers" you have 22M and have to sign 9 players then. IF they are going to sign Guentzal to 9.5 and Zad to 5. That would leave about 8M to 7 players. So you might as well fit in the rest of those "part timers" back onto the roster because you won't be signing anyone over a million.
They can go over the cap by 10% during the summer. Other teams do this and then there are mysterious injuries that go to LTIR.

No doubt there will be a trade, Garland certainly made a impression in the playoffs and he does have some term.

I "hope" there is a progression plan.

I do think they can still get Necas. Carolina wants another goalie, Demko? Garland might almost be enough.

Wouldn't that be a coup if they managed to move Garland, Mikheyev and Demko And got back Necas, Laine, Dillion and signed Guentzel.

Added to the cap, almost 15 million
Subtracted Necas 7, Guentzel 9, Laine retained 5, Dillion 2.5.
so that would eat 7 mil of the 16+mil they now have leaving 11 mil to sign Zadorov 5, Joshua 2.5 and Myers 2.75 with Silovs 1.5 taking a bridge deal of 1.5 mil and Topolio .95 or Desmith 3 as backup.

The big chance would be if Laine worked out.

Laine - Pettersson - Guentzel
Necas - Miller - Boeser
Podkolzin -Joshua - Hoglander
Karlsson - Aman - Lekkermaki/Raty/

Hughes - Dillion
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Juulsen/Friedman/McWard/Pettersson/

Silovs - Desmith -Topolio - ?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I know every CapFriendly roster has Mikheyev going to San Jose. But, I think the most likely destination for Ilya Mikheyev is Calgary.

Tons of cap-space, large Russian/Milstein factor, aiming for a retool instead of a rebuild, and an already established trade-history between the two teams.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
They can go over the cap by 10% during the summer. Other teams do this and then there are mysterious injuries that go to LTIR.

No doubt there will be a trade, Garland certainly made a impression in the playoffs and he does have some term.

I "hope" there is a progression plan.

I do think they can still get Necas. Carolina wants another goalie, Demko? Garland might almost be enough.

Wouldn't that be a coup if they managed to move Garland, Mikheyev and Demko And got back Necas, Laine, Dillion and signed Guentzel.

Added to the cap, almost 15 million
Subtracted Necas 7, Guentzel 9, Laine retained 5, Dillion 2.5.
so that would eat 7 mil of the 16+mil they now have leaving 11 mil to sign Zadorov 5, Joshua 2.5 and Myers 2.75 with Silovs 1.5 taking a bridge deal of 1.5 mil and Topolio .95 or Desmith 3 as backup.

The big chance would be if Laine worked out.

Laine - Pettersson - Guentzel
Necas - Miller - Boeser
Podkolzin -Joshua - Hoglander
Karlsson - Aman - Lekkermaki/Raty/

Hughes - Dillion
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Juulsen/Friedman/McWard/Pettersson/

Silovs - Desmith -Topolio - ?
I don't think that cap actually works from a glance and I don't think the Canucks have the necessary picks/prospects/players to be able to acquire those players.

It might.... 🧐

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Guentzel is much, much better than Necas.

As I've said before, if the team whiffs on Guentzel instead of pursing the likes of middling solutions like Debrusk/Necas/Teravainen, I would sign some one year deals to maintain flexibility (Zucker, Arvidsson, Perron, Barabanov, etc), and try and make an in-season move - Konecny, Tkachuk, etc.

Hell I prefer this strategy to even pursuiing Guentzel.
Is he though? Apart from the age difference there is who they played with.
Guentzel has played just about his whole career with two of the best players in the league, Crosby and Malkin
Necas' claim to fame are Kotkaneimi, Jarvis and Staal. No wonder he wants out.

Other than Guentzel, that is a better ideal IMO. Tying up almost 10% of the cap or more on an aging asset, well Eriksson again? But they have to start thinking about the Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Miller replacements. That's one reason I like this Necas kid, he has had to drive his line for a few years now.

Dhali keeps saying Guentzel for clicks and the rest of the media pick it up and make it a rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad