Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Would you guys trade Hoglander straight up for Jeannot? He has a $2.6 mill cap hit and will be a UFA. He would mainly replace Joshua imo.

No. He's had two straight years of poor production, and injured a good chunk of last season, despite being put in a good situation.

Friedman does bring up Jeannot in today's 32 Thoughts. Says a lot of teams see something in him, though. Marek wonders if there's a fit for Jeannot and the Flames. Friedman hasn't heard of a connection between the two.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
My read is that Canucks aren’t prepared to commit to an offer beyond their initial budget until they know what else they can do in free agency or the trade market.

I don’t think it is entirely up to Vancouver to budge, either. The guy has already been traded from three US teams, and disparaged two Canadian teams. He seems to like it in Vancouver. For a guy that has a tough time picking a place—maybe he wants to prioritize just choosing a city he likes and wants to plant roots.

I think it's a term issue more than anything, not sure why they're hung up on term, but appears that way. Zadorov probably asking for 6-7 years and they're offering 4-5, probably at similar cap hits. I don't see the AAV really deviating too much from $4.5-5M generally.

Reactions: Hodgy and wonton15

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If it takes 5 or less I resign Zadorov, and I almost don't care of the term... the team needs to win now, and we can deal with the long term contracts later.

Agreed. If we can get Zadorov inked at 5M, you can give him 8 years for all I care. By that point, the cap will have risen to were 5M is irrelevant.

Would you guys trade Hoglander straight up for Jeannot? He has a $2.6 mill cap hit and will be a UFA. He would mainly replace Joshua imo.

Absolutely not. Jeannot sucks, and wouldn't come close to replacing Joshua unless there was a serious regression on Joshua's part.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
They also don't have much to dangle. No equivalent player. They may be willing to give up Poitras and Lohrei but I doubt both.

ullmark? i could see carolina being interested in a package around him. add in geekie and carlo or lohrei and i could see carolina doing it

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
ullmark? i could see carolina being interested in a package around him. add in geekie and carlo or lohrei and i could see carolina doing it

He'd make sense but that would be a pretty big change in goaltending philosophy. They'd also have to trade Andersen or carry 3 goalies and over 10m in capspace allocated to them.

Ullmark is such an interesting situation because of his 16-NTC and public refusal to waive it. Should be the top guy on the market but really doesn't want to leave Boston.

Reactions: BimJenning

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
RFAs:
Hronek - 3 years, 6.25M per
Silovs - 2 years, 1M per
Depth signings like Karlsson, Woo, etc.

UFA:
Lindholm - 7 years, 7M per
Tanev - 2 years, 4M per
Dillon - 2 years, 2.5M per
Duhaime - 3 years, 1.5M per

Cap Space: 0.4M

Duhaime - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm
Mikheyev - Suter - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Aman - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Dillon - Tanev

Demko
Silovs

Karlsson, Brisebois, Juulsen

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Dillon to me is more of a Cole replacement than Zadorov. Looks slower than ever, probably best suited for top PK duty + 3rd pairing mins at 5v5

That's exactly who he is. Canucks have 4 defencemen to replace: Zadorov, Cole, Myers, and Hronek. The easy path is to sign Hronek & Myers, replace Cole with Dillon, and figure out what you want to for the 3rd pairing RD spot. Give it to Juulsen or upgrade.

But there's a lot of flexibility.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
With no updates on Hronek negotiations and the Necas rumours, I figure it would be interesting to look at all the RFA forwards projected to make over 4m.

Seth JarvisHurricanesRW227y/7.898m
Lucas RaymondRed WingsW227y/7.732m
Martin NecasHurricanesRW257y/7.495m
Quinton ByfieldKingsLW/C217y/7.389m
Matthew BeniersKrakenC217y/6.637m
Cole PerfettiJetsLW/C227y/5.565m
Dawson MercerDevilsRW/C226y/6.498m
Anton LundellPanthersC/LW226y/5.781m
Kirill MarchenkoBlue JacketsRW236y/5.233m
Connor McMichaelCapitalsLW/C236y/4.385m
Casey MittelstadtAvalancheC255y/5.985m
Shane PintoSenatorsC235y/5.274m
Barret HaytonUtah HCC/LW245y/5.07m

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Mittelstadt one would also be a steal for the Avs. That’s basically going to be average 3C money in 2-3 years.

Reactions: BimJenning

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
That's exactly who he is. Canucks have 4 defencemen to replace: Zadorov, Cole, Myers, and Hronek. The easy path is to sign Hronek & Myers, replace Cole with Dillon, and figure out what you want to for the 3rd pairing RD spot. Give it to Juulsen or upgrade.

But there's a lot of flexibility.

You are right that there is theoretically a lot of flexibility, but defense was also the Canucks strong point, and I wonder how much management is willing to change a component of the team that was arguably its best component. To put it another way, if the Canucks make big changes to the defense and the defense gets materially or significantly worse, then this team may not make the playoffs.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
RFAs:
Hronek - 3 years, 6.25M per
Silovs - 2 years, 1M per
Depth signings like Karlsson, Woo, etc.

UFA:
Lindholm - 7 years, 7M per
Tanev - 2 years, 4M per
Dillon - 2 years, 2.5M per
Duhaime - 3 years, 1.5M per

Cap Space: 0.4M

Duhaime - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm
Mikheyev - Suter - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Aman - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Dillon - Tanev

Demko
Silovs

Karlsson, Brisebois, Juulsen
So pretty much the same team as last season but worse offensively and a negligible improvement defensively.

Kind of underwhelming.

Reactions: StickShift

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Was looking through all the teams that may be interested in Hronek. Turns out there's a lot of teams that need a RD or could use an upgrade.

One team that stood out was the Blue Jackets. They have a large amount of appealing players, entire franchise is in some for of turmoil, new old GM coming in, and need to make the playoffs given all the big contracts and veterans they keep investing in. I don't think they are actually a good match for a Hronek trade but their RD have been brutal.

Just look at their RFA list:
Yegor ChinakhovBlue JacketsW232y/2.311m
Cole SillingerBlue JacketsC212y/2.233m
Kent JohnsonBlue JacketsLW/C212y/1.647m10.2(c)

Guys they have signed:
Boone JennerC/LW
30​
2y/3.75m
Dmitri VoronkovFW
23​
1y/0.925m
Patrik LaineW
26​
2y/8.7m

Laine would have to be at 50% retained.

We really have no idea what the Blue Jacket's plans are. I'm not even sure they know.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
One injury away from losing the bag. Makes sense to try to get a contract to like 28-29 and then have a chance for a bigger pay day then.

More likely they do a 4 or 5 years. Leaving them with one year of RFA or right up to free agency.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
With no updates on Hronek negotiations and the Necas rumours, I figure it would be interesting to look at all the RFA forwards projected to make over 4m.

Seth JarvisHurricanesRW227y/7.898m
Lucas RaymondRed WingsW227y/7.732m
Martin NecasHurricanesRW257y/7.495m
Quinton ByfieldKingsLW/C217y/7.389m
Matthew BeniersKrakenC217y/6.637m
Cole PerfettiJetsLW/C227y/5.565m
Dawson MercerDevilsRW/C226y/6.498m
Anton LundellPanthersC/LW226y/5.781m
Connor McMichaelCapitalsLW/C236y/4.385m
Casey MittelstadtAvalancheC255y/5.985m
Shane PintoSenatorsC235y/5.274m
Barret HaytonUtah HCC/LW245y/5.07m

All of a sudden the Kotkaniemi contract doesn't look so bad......

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Was looking through all the teams that may be interested in Hronek. Turns out there's a lot of teams that need a RD or could use an upgrade.

One team that stood out was the Blue Jackets. They have a large amount of appealing players, entire franchise is in some for of turmoil, new old GM coming in, and need to make the playoffs given all the big contracts and veterans they keep investing in. I don't think they are actually a good match for a Hronek trade but their RD have been brutal.

Just look at their RFA list:
Yegor ChinakhovBlue JacketsW232y/2.311m
Cole SillingerBlue JacketsC212y/2.233m
Kent JohnsonBlue JacketsLW/C212y/1.647m10.2(c)

Guys they have signed:
Boone JennerC/LW
30​
2y/3.75m
Dmitri VoronkovFW
23​
1y/0.925m
Patrik LaineW
26​
2y/8.7m

Laine would have to be at 50% retained.

We really have no idea what the Blue Jacket's plans are. I'm not even sure they know.
I keep looking at CBJ, but like yourself, I don't know what they are doing nor what the return could be.

Voronkov would be of great interest. But they would be stupid to move him (though he was previously unhappy).

Jenner likely doesn't move.

I like Sillinger as well.

They also have Provorov who I think could be a bounce back candidate in the right situation.

I'd like a package around Provorov+(say Voronkov).

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I keep looking at CBJ, but like yourself, I don't know what they are doing nor what the return could be.

Voronkov would be of great interest. But they would be stupid to move him (though he was previously unhappy).

Jenner likely doesn't move.

I like Sillinger as well.

They also have Provorov who I think could be a bounce back candidate in the right situation.

I'd like a package around Provorov+(say Voronkov).

I'd be thrilled with any of Marchenko, Voronkov, of Chinakhov.

I think Provorov would get eaten alive by this market given his public stance against Pride jerseys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad