Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think we'll see the Soucy - Myers pairing remain intact if Myers re-signs. I also suspect Tanev won't be an option as they've indicated they want a bit more puck movement on the backend apart from the top pairing. IMO it'll look like

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Dillon / Zadorov - PMD
I think Tanev fits really well, but it would depend on him taking a way bigger discount than Myers.

Reactions: Chiripa20

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think we'll see the Soucy - Myers pairing remain intact if Myers re-signs. I also suspect Tanev won't be an option as they've indicated they want a bit more puck movement on the backend apart from the top pairing. IMO it'll look like

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Dillon / Zadorov - PMD
Vector agrees, and I think that's how they would start. They would get shifted around a lot though, utilized more as a "bottom-four". I think the Z ship has sailed though, he will cost too much.

I am also a bit wary of Tanev, moreso because of age. I think he is an underrated puck-mover though; he gets to retrievals first and "moves the puck" to his partner or strong side forward quickly, putting them in a better position to get the exit. I suggested Carrier as an alternative, and I think he has a bit more mobility. Maybe Walker is an option for more pure offensive ability, depending on the price.

Reactions: TruGr1t and Vector

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Don't be a tease. Give me the full monty.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting out of Poolman's contract. Allvin has consistently brought up how them being in LTIR has made it so they can't add during the deadline.
If the goal is to beef up the top 6 + top 4 and go frugal with depth then getting out of LTIR to accrue cap space and position themselves to add depth at the TDL makes a ton of sense. It's too bad the Coyotes are out of the league, they could've been a Poolman dumping spot.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Erik Gudbranson got 4x4MM with 10 team no trade 2 years ago under a flat cap. There's always a job for tall former 1st round RHD.

Biggest thing working against Myers is age. He's not really aging at all but will be 35 in February with 1000 games under his belt 5 games into next season.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Erik Gudbranson got 4x4MM with 10 team no trade 2 years ago under a flat cap. There's always a job for tall former 1st round RHD.
Eh, maybe. He was far younger than Myers, and that was generally agreed to be the worst contract signed in recent memory.

Reactions: quat

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If the goal is to beef up the top 6 + top 4 and go frugal with depth then getting out of LTIR to accrue cap space and position themselves to add depth at the TDL makes a ton of sense. It's too bad the Coyotes are out of the league, they could've been a Poolman dumping spot.

Really just have San Jose and Chicago left. Ducks might be willing as well but seem more likely to try and take another step forward.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think Tanev fits really well, but it would depend on him taking a way bigger discount than Myers.

He absolutely does, and I'd prefer him to Myers, but I think given their statements to date I don't see a need or fit if the rest of the defense resembles the one I posted.

Vector agrees, and I think that's how they would start. They would get shifted around a lot though, utilized more as a "bottom-four". I think the Z ship has sailed though, he will cost too much.

I am also a bit wary of Tanev, moreso because of age. I think he is an underrated puck-mover though; he gets to retrievals first and "moves the puck" to his partner or strong side forward quickly, putting them in a better position to get the exit. I suggested Carrier as an alternative, and I think he has a bit more mobility. Maybe Walker is an option for more pure offensive ability, depending on the price.

He is a great puck retriever for sure, but not a PMD in the traditional sense imo. I actually Liljegren would be the perfect fit in that spot but he's not a realistic target.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
He absolutely does, and I'd prefer him to Myers, but I think given their statements to date I don't see a need or fit if the rest of the defense resembles the one I posted.
I think every team needs and can fit in as much of what Tanev provides as they can get, and that if he wants to be here enough to take a significant discount he will be here. But other teams will definitely be able to pay more.

Reactions: sting101

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think every team needs and can fit in as much of what Tanev provides as they can get, and that if he wants to be here enough to take a significant discount he will be here. But other teams will definitely be able to pay more.

There's that too. I'm just basing on this on the assumption that a) Hronek re-signs, b) Myers re-signs (given the smoke around that possibility), c) one of Zadorov or Dillon signs (also rumblings) and d) their statement that they want a bit more puck movement from the backend apart from the top pairing. I love Tanev but we can't really outbid some of the rumoured offers and as Bossram alluded to he's getting a bit long in the tooth. Again would rather have a 34 year-old Tanev than a 34 year-old Myers but it is what it is.

EDIT: I guess if they finally start trying Hronek apart from Hughes than yeah, Tanev would be a good option. I was responding to the post that had the top pairing intact and Dillon and Myers as a pairing. But I'd be happy with this:

Hughes - Tanev
Zadorov / Dillon - Hronek
Soucy - Myers

Last edited:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I wonder if were moving Hronek for a 1st round draft pick and a player we can insert in the top 9.

Personally, if were getting a 1st round pick for Hronek, then id prefer that its for 2025. This draft class is weak.

Id take a chance on Barret Hayton to play 3C for us.

2025 1st and Hayton for Hronek

Morgan Frost is another young C id take a chance on

2025 1st and Frost for Hronek

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
There's that too. I'm just basing on this on the assumption that a) Hronek re-signs, b) Myers re-signs (given the smoke around that possibility), c) one of Zadorov or Dillon signs (also rumblings) and d) their statement that they want a bit more puck movement from the backend apart from the top pairing. I love Tanev but we can't really outbid some of the rumoured offers and as Bossram alluded to he's getting a bit long in the tooth. Again would rather have a 34 year-old Tanev than a 34 year-old Myers but it is what it is.
I agree in general, but I think Zadorov is gone and Dillon can play either side.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I know this is a unprecedented but..

The simple Cap solution is to place Demko on LTIR from the beginning of the season and ease him back into the lineup back around playoff time.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Yes, I expect this is what they'll do. Will target DeMelo or Walker, but if they can't get them I could see them going with someone like Carrier, and picking up a cheaper offensive option like Justin Schultz to platoon for PP work etc.

Top-four remains unchanged, Dillon replaces Zadorov, and you try to insert more offense on the bottom-pair right side.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
A healthy Hughes would have made a huge difference (especially against the Oilers forecheck), but I don't think the defense is to the point where you just run it back and be happy with it. Dillon for Cole is a lateral move. Adding someone like Tanev at a hometown discount would be a big addition. I feel we need another puck mover/transition guy on the 2nd pair though (resigned Hronek maybe).

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I know this is a unprecedented but..

The simple Cap solution is to place Demko on LTIR from the beginning of the season and ease him back into the lineup back around playoff time

I know it doesnt seem like it, but the NHL actually looks into LTIR injuries and has to sign off on them.

Also good luck convincing Demko to not play the whole season where bonuses are involved and he is approaching free agency in a couple of years. Missing a whole season would effect his next big pay day.

Putting him into the fire of a the NHL playoffs after not playing for 10 months doesnt seem ideal either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He is a great puck retriever for sure, but not a PMD in the traditional sense imo. I actually Liljegren would be the perfect fit in that spot but he's not a realistic target.
I think Liljegren is somewhat realistic. Seems like the management group is not high on him, and he basically ends up getting passed over on the depth chart by every playoff. There is a new coaching staff though, so some fresh eyes on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diamonddog01

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Don't be a tease. Give me the full monty.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting out of Poolman's contract. Allvin has consistently brought up how them being in LTIR has made it so they can't add during the deadline.
It's basically bribe SJ.

Something like Mikheyev + Poolman + prospect capital (the bribe) for Nico Sturm + Nikolai Knyzhov + nothing contracts for contract balance.

The prospects I would think be some combo of Raty, Kudrayvstev/Mynio, and then Truscott (who it seems they won't re-sign, but could see an opportunity on the SJ depth chart) and Aidan Celebrini (favour for the Celebrini family). Maybe they need to up the prospect payment to D-Petey. The issue here is the Canucks don't really have picks to offer, so would have to be prospects as payment.

The other part of the deal is basically Poolman for Sturm and Knyzhov. I don't think Plattner is hurting for cash himself, but certainly through the rebuild phase, no playoffs, and dwindling attendance, the Sharks are not earning like they were before. This basically gets them off $3.4M in cash in exchange for an insured LTIR deal. Canucks get out of LTIR. Sturm and Knyzhov can be organizational depth once waived. Perhaps helps to balance the cash commitment they take on with Mikheyev.

Reactions: Vector

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
A healthy Hughes would have made a huge difference (especially against the Oilers forecheck), but I don't think the defense is to the point where you just run it back and be happy with it. Dillon for Cole is a lateral move. Adding someone like Tanev at a hometown discount would be a big addition. I feel we need another puck mover/transition guy on the 2nd pair though (resigned Hronek maybe).
They definitely need another guy on the right side who can actually move the puck. Either to play with Soucy or to play with Hughes, if Hronek were to play with Soucy.

Soucy-Myers was good but not ideal as they produce next to no offense together. Can't have your second pairing be a black hole offensively. Our offense was way too dependent on Quinn this year, it needs to be more spread out.

I don't know who this player would be or how they would go about acquiring and paying for him but in an ideal world, this is a need we'd address.

People on here turned me on to the idea of Shea Theodore a while ago. We definitely couldn't acquire him and pay both him and Hronek moving forward but it's a nice dream lol.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I know it doesnt seem like it, but the NHL actually looks into LTIR injuries and has to sign off on them.

Also good luck convincing Demko to not play the whole season where bonuses are involved and he is approaching free agency in a couple of years. Missing a whole season would effect his next big pay day.

Putting him into the fire of a the NHL playoffs after not playing for 10 months doesnt seem ideal either.

Giving away a bit here Dr. Mark "The Golfing Instructor" Stone aka "Showtime" Stone?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
PS I have always maintained the Canucks need a better "Cap Doctor" and by that I literally mean Cap Doctor.

I assume the ones on the top of their game wouldn't come cheaply.

1717616607109.jpeg

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think moving Mikheyev is going to be extremely difficult at this point. He's got two more years left at 4.75 million, has scored one goal this calendar year, and it is possible that his knee surgery has totally cooked him.

I know the salary cap is going up, but what do the precedents look like? Two seconds? A first? The Canucks are so limited when it comes to draft capital and prospects that it would make a deal tough.

Probably the best outcome is a trade where we also dump him (like Kuzmenko or Johansen last year) but it may be hard finding a team wanting to make that trade during the summer.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Looking purely at free agency - if it's true the Canucks lack the horses to acquire a guy like Necas, I think it increases the likelihood they look at bringing back Lindholm.

What guys are out there that the Canucks might prefer to chase?

Sam Reinhart, if he gets to free agency, maybe?

Otherwise it looks like a bit of bargain hunting - barring an unexpected trade.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Looking purely at free agency - if it's true the Canucks lack the horses to acquire a guy like Necas, I think it increases the likelihood they look at bringing back Lindholm.

What guys are out there that the Canucks might prefer to chase?

Sam Reinhart, if he gets to free agency, maybe?

Otherwise it looks like a bit of bargain hunting - barring an unexpected trade.

Apart from Reinhart and Guentzel, there's not a lot of appealing top-6 options. They've been rumoured to go after Toffoli. They've liked Roslovic in the past and tried to acquire him so I think there's a possibility there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are interested in Arvidsson but that's purely my speculation. DeBrusk and Zucker would make a certain amount of sense even if I don't believe in Zucker at all. Barabanov is an interesting buy-low candidate.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Apart from Reinhart and Guentzel, there's not a lot of appealing top-6 options. They've been rumoured to go after Toffoli. They've liked Roslovic in the past and tried to acquire him so I think there's a possibility there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are interested in Arvidsson but that's purely my speculation. DeBrusk and Zucker would make a certain amount of sense even if I don't believe in Zucker at all. Barabanov is an interesting buy-low candidate.

On the Swedish front, I was wondering about Victor Olofsson. Obviously had a nightmare season in Buffalo, but could be a buy-low candidate, and I swear I remember the Canucks being linked to him in trade rumors in the past.

And yeah, I've heard about the interest in Toffoli as well - but between rumors of him wanting to go to the States, and the Canucks looking for speed/youth/size, he might not be super viable.

I forgot Guentzel - the Canucks were obviously super interested in him, but again, I have my doubts he and Reinhart either make it to FA/look at Vancouver as an option.

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad