Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It’s the Hurricanes we’re talking about here. They don’t do any deals unless it’s a clear win for them.

The Bear trade is the only one I look at and think the Canucks came out ahead. We know they kept asking for Hoglander too.
Our management team doesn’t look like the we will bend over type.
Remember how Drury asked for the moon for Kravstov and we out waited them and gave them a 7th + Lockwood.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Good chance he will be overpriced and overrated. I think Wennberg might be a better $.75 cents on the dollar type of replacement at a reasonable freight.

Yeah, I just don't see how we can place any type of priority on 3rd line center. We're stretched to thin everywhere to get cute.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Good chance he will be overpriced and overrated. I think Wennberg might be a better $.75 cents on the dollar type of replacement at a reasonable freight.

I've been interested in Wennberg as well but...

Yeah, I just don't see how we can place any type of priority on 3rd line center. We're stretched to thin everywhere to get cute.

this is the problem. He'll probably come at a price that would be a detriment to upgrading other aspects of the roster. Even if he's a bit of an offensive upgrade over Blueger, the difference in probable cap hit makes it so I'd just rather bring Teddy back.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I've been interested in Wennberg as well but...

this is the problem. He'll probably come at a price that would be a detriment to upgrading other aspects of the roster. Even if he's a bit of an offensive upgrade over Blueger, the difference in probably cap hit makes it so I'd just rather bring Teddy back.

Yeah I totally agree. Unless you're bringing back Lindholm as a complete player for a zillion bucks I don't think we need a superstar or even a point getter there. Blueger is awesome defensively, good on the PK, and plays the system exactly like RT wants. All for pennies on the dollar compared to others offering not much more in terms of results. He's also had proven chemistry with Garland and Joshua, if he's back. He can also bump down to 4C if we are in the same position and looking for an upgrade mid-season. No brainer signing for me.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Yeah I totally agree. Unless you're bringing back Lindholm as a complete player for a zillion bucks I don't think we need a superstar or even a point getter there. Blueger is awesome defensively, good on the PK, and plays the system exactly like RT wants. All for pennies on the dollar compared to others offering not much more in terms of results. He's also had proven chemistry with Garland and Joshua, if he's back. He can also bump down to 4C if we are in the same position and looking for an upgrade mid-season. No brainer signing for me.
Wennberg will be terribly overpriced. He's a declining 29 year old scoring 30 points a year, soft, below 50% on faceoffs, not great on the PK, doesn't forecheck.

7 out of 7 days of the week I would take
Blueger @2M >> Wennberg @1.5M

Reactions: David71

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
wennberg and stevenson have no upside. your best case scenario is you get what you paid for. there's significant risk you do not.

Just saw a rumor on Canucks Daily that we are in on Necas + a 3rd for Hronek, Hogs, D-Petey and the 2025 1st. That's a huge overpayment in my opinion.

good lord.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

A good summary of some names available, some of which we've discussed here. Niederbach seems like the low hanging fruit on the list as he was the highest pick left unsigned - given the multitude of Swedish connections in Vancouver, there may be something to it. I also didn't realize Mats Lindgren, another Vancouver product, was becoming a free agent.

I think Abbotsford's most glaring need is up front, which makes Ben King very appealing (and possibly Niederbach if he wants to come to NA). And organizationally, I feel like defense is always a need - if Sward and Lindgren would be amenable to playing in Abbotsford, possibly on AHL deals, that could be a great thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hearing Pettersson’s name a lot in trade rumours, let’s not sell low on him after a bad playoffs, would be a big mistake.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Carolina can continue to sink into mediocrity. Necas is not worth Hronek, let alone EP2 and a 1st.
Why do people continue to treat these obviously fake trade "rumours" like they're going to happen.

It wasn't even a "rumour". It was like a random guy on twitter. Let's get a grip.

Reactions: racerjoe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

A good summary of some names available, some of which we've discussed here. Niederbach seems like the low hanging fruit on the list as he was the highest pick left unsigned - given the multitude of Swedish connections in Vancouver, there may be something to it. I also didn't realize Mats Lindgren, another Vancouver product, was becoming a free agent.

I think Abbotsford's most glaring need is up front, which makes Ben King very appealing (and possibly Niederbach if he wants to come to NA). And organizationally, I feel like defense is always a need - if Sward and Lindgren would be amenable to playing in Abbotsford, possibly on AHL deals, that could be a great thing.

Fixed the link since you had it going to a different article.

I asked Dave to write this!

King and Sward make a lot of sense to me. Sward kind of has a Wolanin make-up and is an Abbotsford kid. I don't think they are going to go hard after many defencemen, though. Abbotsford has a pretty full group already.

Returnees:
Pettersson, Hirose, Brisebois, & Wolanin

Rookies:
Felton & Kudryavtsev

RFAs:
Cicek, McWard, & Woo

AHL Contracts:
Arntsen

The forward corps is much thinner. Doubly so if Karlsson and Bains make the team out of camp. Dries is a UFA. It's possible they go into next season without their top three scorers from last season.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Not surprising, thank you for the regular season Mr. Cole. The playoffs were a bit hit and miss, and by that I mean the puck hit you a lot and made it miss Silov and into our net.

I expect Cole is looking for another short-term deal at similar AAV to what he has now, which we won't pay. I'd bring him back at like 1 year x $1.5M or something, but he'll want probably double that. Makes sense to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad