Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Cole was really solid for this group. I think we’ll sign another proven vet who has won before to play a similar role. Who fits the bill?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Cole was really solid for this group. I think we’ll sign another proven vet who has won before to play a similar role. Who fits the bill?
1717608704382.png

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Yup.

They got a solid season out of him but he's 35 and looked worse at the end than the beginning and this is a player you don't try to stretch it out one more exit on.
He would have been effective at around $1-1.5 million in a Juulsen type role. Doubt he’d accept that when he could probably get more as a free agent though.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I have a feeling the Canucks will be pushing hard to resign Zadorov. Apparently the Canucks have been very interested in him a couple years before actually acquiring him. My guess Allvin told big Z to hold up so he can try and offload salary first "aka Mikheyev ". Unless it's 5.5+, I really don't mind resigning Zadorov. It's been years since a Canuck defenseman left a impression like the one Zads left after this season. The guy is a game changer to the media, in the dressing room and most importantly in the playoffs.

I think he will be back, the big Z is loved here.

Also agree that Dillon will most likely be Coles replacement.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
My wishful thinking is that Dillon replaces Cole, and Zadorov has found a home here and signs a ‘favourable’ 4.75x6 deal. Thick solid tight backend in tact.

Reactions: Chiripa20

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
cole was great for us but he had a high event playoffs. there's a psychological element to bringing him back as well as a proscouting evaluation. you don't want to put him in the same position to be the goat next playoffs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yup.

They got a solid season out of him but he's 35 and looked worse at the end than the beginning and this is a player you don't try to stretch it out one more exit on.

Especially not at his price tag. Liked Cole a lot this year and he did a solid job, but I don't think we're in a position to be paying $3M a season to a guy on our bottom pair.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Especially not at his price tag. Liked Cole a lot this year and he did a solid job, but I don't think we're in a position to be paying $3M a season to a guy on our bottom pair.

I think it makes sense if you're going for a more rounded approach to your defensive corps like the Canucks did last year. If they bring in both Myers and Dillon for 2-3m each we know there's a good chance for one of them to be playing on the 3rd pair. If it's not Dillon then it's Soucy who makes even more. If they find a way to keep Zadorov, then Soucy is on the 3rd pair. I don't think it matters as much for the way this coaching staff treats defence since, apart from Hughes-Hronek, they tended to rotate who was getting 2nd pairing minutes throughout the season.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
My wishful thinking is that Dillon replaces Cole, and Zadorov has found a home here and signs a ‘favourable’ 4.75x6 deal. Thick solid tight backend in tact.
At this price you are better off paying a million more a season and going after Pesce at $5.75 million*6 years.

Reactions: Nick Lang

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I have a feeling the Canucks will be pushing hard to resign Zadorov. Apparently the Canucks have been very interested in him a couple years before actually acquiring him. My guess Allvin told big Z to hold up so he can try and offload salary first "aka Mikheyev ". Unless it's 5.5+, I really don't mind resigning Zadorov. It's been years since a Canuck defenseman left a impression like the one Zads left after this season. The guy is a game changer to the media, in the dressing room and most importantly in the playoffs.

I think he will be back, the big Z is loved here.

Also agree that Dillon will most likely be Coles replacement.

unless we trade soucy we're not signing dillon if we sign zadorov. they are all left side dmen and hughes and soucy are already sugned with soucy making $3.2m. if zadorov gets signed then the #4 left side guy is making the buriable limit or less. and dillon is not going to sign a deal to be the #4 depth guy anyway.

personally, dillon and soucy looks way more cost effective. we lose the zadorov x factor, but we'd have a solid left side with money leftover for other positions.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
To me, the fact that the team's constrains have led to a public acknowledgement of the difficulty of the decisions ahead is refreshing. No to Zadorov at over 5, no to Lindholm at over 7. If they walk for more you didn't lose, you won, and you should feel good and optimistic about it rather than disappointed. 2-3 years ago one or both of these players would already be signed and we'd be trying to move a ton of cap from a position of weakness.

I'm 99 percent sure Z is gone and that the focus for the time being is making trades.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think it makes sense if you're going for a more rounded approach to your defensive corps like the Canucks did last year. If they bring in both Myers and Dillon for 2-3m each we know there's a good chance for one of them to be playing on the 3rd pair. If it's not Dillon then it's Soucy who makes even more. If they find a way to keep Zadorov, then Soucy is on the 3rd pair. I don't think it matters as much for the way this coaching staff treats defence since, apart from Hughes-Hronek, they tended to rotate who was getting 2nd pairing minutes throughout the season.
I think that is the approach they continue to take. If they can re-sign Hronek around $7.5M, sign Dillon at (hopefully) a hometown discount around $3M AAV x 2-3 years, bring back Myers on a $3M x 2 deal, then the blueline basically looks like:

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - ______
Dillon - Myers

Maybe that 2RD spot is filled by Tanev, or one of the second tier UFA RD options like Carrier. Regardless, the D-core would be utilized essentially as a top-pair + 4 other interchangeable guys, in terms of ice time distribution.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Cole:
-Cole will hit the free agent market
-need him at a much lower number than three
-had contract talks over the weekend
-couldn't find common ground
-really like him and wanted him back
-game 2 versus the Oilers, he collided with Kane and cut his ankle; played with 8-10 stitches; had trouble getting his foot in the boot
-JT Miller says that when Ian Cole talks in the dressing room, they listen
-as of now, looks like he'll hit the free agent market

Myers:
-is the only guy willing to take a paycut
-will go from 6m to around 3m

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think that is the approach they continue to take. If they re-sign Hronek around $7.5M, sign Dillon at (hopefully) a hometown discount around $3M AAV x 2-3 years, bring back Myers on a $3 x 2 deal, then the blueline basically looks like:

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - ______
Dillon - Myers

Maybe that 2RD spot is filled by Tanev, or one of the second tier UFA RD options like Carrier. Regardless, the D-core would be utilized essentially as a top-pair + 4 other interchangeable guys, in terms of ice time distribution.

Exactly this. Although I think they'll Soucy-Myers just to keep that pair together but Tocchet/Foote tended to swap around the non-Hughes/Hronek pairings throughout the season.

Going with these numbers, and Silovs at 1m, would leave them with about 12.5m for top-6 winger, 2/3s of a 3rd line, and another defenceman.

If you can get Joshua and Blueger for a total of around 6m between them, that would leave 6.5m. Becomes very important to get rid of Mikheyev since that would boost the space up to around 11.5m

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Exactly this. Although I think they'll Soucy-Myers just to keep that pair together but Tocchet/Foote tended to swap around the non-Hughes/Hronek pairings throughout the season.

Going with these numbers, and Silovs at 1m, would leave them with about 12.5m for top-6 winger, 2/3s of a 3rd line, and another defenceman.

If you can get Joshua and Blueger for a total of around 6m between them, that would leave 6.5m. Becomes very important to get rid of Mikheyev since that would boost the space up to around 11.5m
Yep. I think they can accomplish pretty much all their needs if they can dump Mikheyev at full freight. Not a super simple task though. I have a kooky idea for it, but probably not realistic.

Also involves dumping Poolman, which would allow the Canucks to get out of LTIR and bank cap space for the deadline - could give them an edge to make another big addition.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Cole:
-Cole will hit the free agent market
-need him at a much lower number than three
-had contract talks over the weekend
-couldn't find common ground
-really like him and wanted him back
-game 2 versus the Oilers, he collided with Kane and cut his ankle; played with 8-10 stitches; had trouble getting his foot in the boot
-JT Miller says that when Ian Cole talks in the dressing room, they listen
-as of now, looks like he'll hit the free agent market

Myers:
-is the only guy willing to take a paycut
-will go from 6m to around 3m

Am I the only one who thinks Myers wouldn't get much more than 3M on the open market? Like, maybe 3.75 or something, but nothing far in excess of what the Canucks will offer.

Reactions: Vector

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think that is the approach they continue to take. If they can re-sign Hronek around $7.5M, sign Dillon at (hopefully) a hometown discount around $3M AAV x 2-3 years, bring back Myers on a $3M x 2 deal, then the blueline basically looks like:

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - ______
Dillon - Myers

I think we'll see the Soucy - Myers pairing remain intact if Myers re-signs. I also suspect Tanev won't be an option as they've indicated they want a bit more puck movement on the backend apart from the top pairing. IMO it'll look like

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Dillon / Zadorov - PMD

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Am I the only one who thinks Myers wouldn't get much more than 3M on the open market? Like, maybe 3.75 or something, but nothing far in excess of what the Canucks will offer.

I think he'll probably end up getting 3.5-3.75m with some term as a UFA or 4m on a one-year but the Canucks can get a pretty decent chunk of his caphit down by offering additional term and better trade protections.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yep. I think they can accomplish pretty much all their needs if they can dump Mikheyev at full freight. Not a super simple task though. I have a kooky idea for it, but probably not realistic.

Also involves dumping Poolman, which would allow the Canucks to get out of LTIR and bank cap space for the deadline - could give them an edge to make another big addition.

Don't be a tease. Give me the full monty.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting out of Poolman's contract. Allvin has consistently brought up how them being in LTIR has made it so they can't add during the deadline.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Erik Gudbranson got 4x4MM with 10 team no trade 2 years ago under a flat cap. There's always a job for tall former 1st round RHD.

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad