Canucks Managerial Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I actually don't mind that our better prospects may get sent down. This would force WD to play Prust, Dorsett and Vey 13-15 minutes a game.

This way, the Canucks will be boring and most likely crappy. Quick way to rid ourselves of this management.

As much as it'd suck to watch a garbage team that could be better (if all the players in the organization were treated equally) you make a good point.

Being a boring, craptacular team is the best thing for us this year. Gives us a higher draft pick and puts pressure on the management team.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Prediction:
Nobody is actually going to lose a job.
Hutton is going to Utica to be a quality call-up.
Jake and Jared are going back to Junior.
Gaunce will be on the team for as long as Higgins is going to be out, and then like Hutton he becomes the quality call-up.

Canucks will roll...
Sedins-Burr
Baertschi-Sutter-Vrbata
Hansen-Horvat-Higgins
Vey-Dorsett
Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Corrado
Bartkowski

Canucks will exhaust these vet player's contracts before the kids ever get their shots. Waiver ineligible players will not be playing in the NHL when they can be held in reserve.

Big talk, no spine, and utterly boring.

one of virtanen or hutton is gonna make opening night, i think. just enough so they can say "hey, we arent completely full of ****"

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
"his job was on the line, and he came in hard. i think moving forward we know that we can count on vey when its crunch time" - one of the idiot ******* in our organization, who cares because they're all the same garbage

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
"his job was on the line, and he came in hard. i think moving forward we know that we can count on vey when its crunch time" - one of the idiot ******* in our organization, who cares because they're all the same garbage

Or WD will go on about how Vey has worked really hard in the off season. Yada yada.

WD is like a over protective father. It's getting ridiculous how much opportunities Vey has been getting.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I actually don't mind that our better prospects may get sent down. This would force WD to play Prust, Dorsett and Vey 13-15 minutes a game.

This way, the Canucks will be boring and most likely crappy. Quick way to rid ourselves of this management.

I agree with this. It pains me to say it though.

I want this team to be good, but I also want good management, and I don't know what I want more. I mean I want a really good team again for the long term most.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I agree with this. It pains me to say it though.

I want this team to be good, but I also want good management, and I don't know what I want more. I mean I want a really good team again for the long term most.

You can't have the former without the latter (at least not a perennially good team, that is). So for me getting rid of this regime is the best thing that could happen.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
The fact we have some good prospect depth is promising for the future, and TBH I don't even mind if McCann or JV are sent down given the WJC is just around the corner and that's a great experience and chance for those guys to go play in big games on a top end team. It will sting for them for a little bit if they do get sent down, and I definitely think they both deserve a longer look to start the season, but unfortunately we have two boneheads at the helm.

Honestly, what really needs to happen is for the wheels to fall off the bus, and we don't want our young promising specs anywhere near that as it could get ugly. We need to be near the bottom of the standings come trade deadline day, trade off guys like Hamhuis, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen for as many high end picks as possible, and then finish bottom five and draft a franchise calibur prospect who can be the guy we build this team around going forward. That's the quickest and most direct path for this franchise to return to the level where it can challenge for the cup. So while it might be nice to see Horvat move up in the lineup and hit 55 points or JV come in and provide solid secondary offense, I'm crossing my fingers for the old rusty vets and Linden Vey to be gifted the big minutes that decide the outcome of games because I just know they're going to **** the bed especially against the high end competition in the Pacific this season. If we find a way to get Matthews it's a one or two year rebuild rather than a five year rebuild once management inevitably is forced down that route.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The fact we have some good prospect depth is promising for the future, and TBH I don't even mind if McCann or JV are sent down given the WJC is just around the corner and that's a great experience and chance for those guys to go play in big games on a top end team. It will sting for them for a little bit if they do get sent down, and I definitely think they both deserve a longer look to start the season, but unfortunately we have two boneheads at the helm.

Honestly, what really needs to happen is for the wheels to fall off the bus, and we don't want our young promising specs anywhere near that as it could get ugly. We need to be near the bottom of the standings come trade deadline day, trade off guys like Hamhuis, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen for as many high end picks as possible, and then finish bottom five and draft a franchise calibur prospect who can be the guy we build this team around going forward. That's the quickest and most direct path for this franchise to return to the level where it can challenge for the cup. So while it might be nice to see Horvat move up in the lineup and hit 55 points or JV come in and provide solid secondary offense, I'm crossing my fingers for the old rusty vets and Linden Vey to be gifted the big minutes that decide the outcome of games because I just know they're going to **** the bed especially against the high end competition in the Pacific this season. If we find a way to get Matthews it's a one or two year rebuild rather than a five year rebuild once management inevitably is forced down that route.
I'm sorta with ya here, but getting Matthews would mean we beat the odds and win the lottery.

I was of the mind that a step back this year with 3-4 picks in the top 50 one being a lottery pick could help set us up for the next 10 years.

arsmaster*

I just don't think its a given, McCann makes the squad. Virtanen easily does, HC always brings guys like that, but McCann isn't really an HC darling at this stage.

Also, I don't expect a mass sell, nor do I forsee franchise talents outside the top pick, possibly two picks. Anyone with term left on their deals aren't returning much anyways. We'll still need a veteran presence next year when we hopefully integrate an entire lineup of kids (Shinkaruk, Gaunce, McCann, Hutton, Virtanen etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Benning needs a thesaurus.
I would argue he is one, if only a thesaurus were a type of dinosaur like it should be.

Are people actually arguing that it's better to pay $100 for worthless garbage than it is to find something worth $100 for free in the garbage?
I guess there is an argument from conspicuous consumption to be made... from those who also pay $3,000 for a white T-shirt from a high-end store in Paris, though.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
We hired Scott Walker? I'm pretty sure he's taking time off from the game, but apparently Linden invited him to camp as a guest or something.

I like this move. This is what you do with old character guys. You hire them as consultants as a resource to help and mentor the rookies.

You don't trade assets for them to skate slowly around the ice on the 4th line or give them 4 year contracts.

arsmaster*

I like this move. This is what you do with old character guys. You hire them as consultants as a resource to help and mentor the rookies.

You don't trade assets for them to skate slowly around the ice on the 4th line or give them 4 year contracts.

Not to mention is Scott Walker has never stopped being involved in the game, from owning and coaching Guelph (to an OHL crown and the Mem Cup final) to being part of Hockey Canada coaching staffs.

At the very worst, he's going to help us continue to pluck good kids out of the OHL.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Walker is a good hire. He's not like a Dave Babych hire for the sake of community relations, he's coached at the highest levels of junior hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad