Rumor: Canucks Exploring Tyler Myers Trade Value

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd take Myers if it meant moving a contract or two but that's what Vancouver's trying to do so I'm sure they would hate any offer I'd make lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wouldn't Myers have negative value? If he was a coming UFA I could see a playoff team adding him (Canuck’s retain) for a pick/prospect, but he’s got term left.
This is where the term "negative value" has issues. He might not be the type of guy who can be traded for a huge haul of picks and prospects, but I'm sure teams out there would be interested in some way. It's about finding the team who offers the right fit in return. For the purposes of dumping his contract to another team, he may have negative value though. The issue for the Canucks could be that they want futures, and teams wanting Myers may be looking for the proverbial "hockey trade".

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I'd take Myers if it meant moving a contract or two but that's what Vancouver's trying to do so I'm sure they would hate any offer I'd make lol
Ha yeah unless we make a trade for a cheaper or shorter term player then it doesn’t really make sense. We need to clear up some cap space.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not sure why people aren’t in on the Myers for Severson deal.
Boeser and Myers for Severson and ?? .
Canucks improve at RHD and shed a large chunk of salary. Devils get a young scoring winger and a RHD after Subban leaves and until Luke is ready.
I’m too lazy to look up Myers cap hit vs. Seversons . Myers is 6 ? and I think Severson is 4.5 . Saves 1.5 there and 7.5 for Boeser next year . That’s exactly what Canucks management wants to do , shed salary. Severson is a very good skater as well and that’s another want by the Canucks. Devils look like they are trying to build a massive D core with players like Hamilton Graves Bahl Shakir all over 6’4
To me makes real good sense to at least look at a deal like this?
It all depends on what the adds are on each side to make it work.
As a Vancouver fan, I would consider the idea for sure. The difficult part is figuring out the + (If Boeser is included in the deal). I could see Devils fans thinking straight across, where I would need a good futures asset from the Devils to consider it. I know this years and next years 1st are off the table, and long shot prospects don't do anything to help Vancouver out of their brutal cap position while trying to build a competitive team.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Wonder if the Islanders would be interested in a larger deal, something along the lines of

Dobson
Clutterbuck
Chara

Boeser
Myers

We get the right d we need in Dobson plus we take back salary in Clutterbuck for the rest of the year and Chara who can help fill Myers role, Islanders get some needed scoring help in Boeser.

I honestly don't know how even this is and what needs to be balanced out, I suck at proposals.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Wonder if the Islanders would be interested in a larger deal, something along the lines of

Dobson
Clutterbuck
Chara

Boeser
Myers

We get the right d we need in Dobson plus we take back salary in Clutterbuck for the rest of the year and Chara who can help fill Myers role, Islanders get some needed scoring help in Boeser.

I honestly don't know how even this is and what needs to be balanced out, I suck at proposals.
Why would islanders make this trade? Dobson is the best piece here.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I mean Vlasic or Karlsson are a no go, I'd think. Is there any other contract you had in mind?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is where the term "negative value" has issues. He might not be the type of guy who can be traded for a huge haul of picks and prospects, but I'm sure teams out there would be interested in some way. It's about finding the team who offers the right fit in return. For the purposes of dumping his contract to another team, he may have negative value though. The issue for the Canucks could be that they want futures, and teams wanting Myers may be looking for the proverbial "hockey trade".
The term "negative value" to me is about whether a player (considering his contract) can return draft picks, without any retention.
Would Myers return picks? IMO, no. His trade would require salary retention and (or) taking money back. Hense, negative value.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Could be a good fit for a rebuilding team that needs a guy to munch minutes and not get completely dominated. The return wouldn’t be great due to his contract, but I’m sure the Canucks would be happy to use the cap space elsewhere
Yeah, this is the right view. He's a poor fit for a contender, but for teams wanting a big minute player to fill in the right side at a decent cap hit, Myers is a good call. The teams looking at Myers are probably ones anticipating struggles finding free agents this offseason.

If teams don't think he's an asset, then he doesn't move - he does provide that same value to the Canucks.

I think he's an asset at $6m, but the cost would be low (think 3rd plus an expiring contract to make the cap work this season).

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The term "negative value" to me is about whether a player (considering his contract) can return draft picks, without any retention.
Would Myers return picks? IMO, no. His trade would require salary retention and (or) taking money back. Hense, negative value.

I understand that many people think of it that way, but I think its a bit of an odd measuring stick considering the cap situation of so many teams, and the fact that a lot of teams wouldn't want to trade their players for picks or prospects.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, this is the right view. He's a poor fit for a contender, but for teams wanting a big minute player to fill in the right side at a decent cap hit, Myers is a good call. The teams looking at Myers are probably ones anticipating struggles finding free agents this offseason.

If teams don't think he's an asset, then he doesn't move - he does provide that same value to the Canucks.

I think he's an asset at $6m, but the cost would be low (think 3rd plus an expiring contract to make the cap work this season).

I honestly have been impressed with Myers play this year, but he does not have a decent cap hit, he is overpaid by at least 2 million.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
If he were a UFA this offseason, I think he'd probably be able to find someone to pay him 2 x $6M.

Maybe, Likely he get's overpaid by a million instead of 2.

That also doesn't somehow disprove that his contract sucks and is in no way a decent contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean Vlasic or Karlsson are a no go, I'd think. Is there any other contract you had in mind?

My initial thought before really fleshing it out was Labanc and Simek but then I looked at Vancouver and didn't think they'd care for either much less both lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad