Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Development Camp Roster

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Lol. All I said was that Mynio looks skinny and suggested that being beat by the Sedins at the Grouse Grind doesn't tell us much.

I'm not aware that Mynio was overweight so if you want to interpret my comments here as suggesting Mynio is physically ready for professional hockey then okay... I don't think I can convince you otherwise.
You argued against my comment of him not being physically ready.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's wild to me because when I run, if I can hear myself breath it gets in the way mentally. Music or more often pods for me.

Weird. I'm always aware of my breathing anyway while running, synching it up to strides or whatever. Whether i have music or not.

Whether i actually run with music or not usually just depends on where i'm running. A lot of the time i don't, just so i don't get run over or hit by a cyclist or something. Or if i'm running somewhere kinda crowded/busy, like if i were stupid enough to run the Grouse Grind for example. Or if i just want to listen and enjoy nature.

Music also really messes with my pace. I'll subconsciously speed up and slow down from song to song. :laugh: Which i don't really care about, but lol.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You argued against my comment of him not being physically ready.

Are you suggesting that if a prospect can't finish the Grouse Grind faster than the Sedins, then that prospect isn't physically ready for professional hockey?

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Are you suggesting that if a prospect can't finish the Grouse Grind faster than the Sedins, then that prospect isn't physically ready for professional hockey?
I'm suggesting what I originally suggested which was most are a long ways away from being physically ready for professional hockey.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
More like; the day someone beats them, it'll be significant. They crush the grind in a way only those that have repeatedly done it can do.
They are the gold standard of fitness, that's for sure. That's the kind of physical shape you need to have to be really great. Tocchet has mentioned many times that the conditioning of players already in the NHL is not up to his standard either.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
not body shaming anybody but i am realizing maybe there is just a lifestyle and culture difference between vancouver and phoenix/scottsdale

View attachment 893079

View attachment 893080

u4yekp1qja651.png

View attachment 893083

View attachment 893086

that’s why i always say (said) that anyone who goes out of their way to sign with the coyotes (rip) as a UFA later in their careers, as roenick and hull both did, comes with a major red flag and is probably no longer serious about competing.
People have different body types. The Sedins would probably still be quite slim even if they weren't former professional athletes / current fitness enthusiasts. I'm sure Big Walt enjoys his food and drink but I'm not sure this is a fair comparison to make lol

Reactions: biturbo19

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Some people forget that the Sedins were pretty ordinary during their first four years in the league. In fact Henrik never broke through the 45 point barrier in his first four years. And he and Daniel played the entire 2004-05 lockout season in Sweden.

And it was 'touch and go' for awhile as to whether or not they'd even return. You could argue that their obsession with nutrition and fitness later in the 20's is what made them into HOF players. Never the fastest skaters or the most physical, they had endurance levels on each shift that were off-the-charts.

So if they can impart anything to these Canuck prospects, it is how much of a herculean effort you need to make it to the top of the mountain. And then how much work you have put in just to stay there.

It's the same with all the great players, Crosby, McDavid, Lemieux and MacKinnon. They're never satisfied. It's isn't about the money. It's about being the best version of yourself as a hockey player that you can be.

So 'leading by example' on the Grouse Grind is only part of the steep learning curve Daniel and Henrik can impart to these Development Camp prospects.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Some people forget that the Sedins were pretty ordinary during their first four years in the league. In fact Henrik never broke through the 45 point barrier in his first four years. And he and Daniel played the entire 2004-05 lockout season in Sweden.

And it was 'touch and go' for awhile as to whether or not they'd even return. You could argue that their obsession with nutrition and fitness later in the 20's is what made them into HOF players. Never the fastest skaters or the most physical, they had endurance levels on each shift that were off-the-charts.

So if they can impart anything to these Canuck prospects, it is how much of a herculean effort you need to make it to the top of the mountain. And then how much work you have put in just to stay there.

It's the same with all the great players, Crosby, McDavid, Lemieux and MacKinnon. They're never satisfied. It's isn't about the money. It's about being the best version of yourself as a hockey player that you can be.

So 'leading by example' on the Grouse Grind is only part of the steep learning curve Daniel and Henrik can impart to these Development Camp prospects.

do we know what happened? i know they left for the lockout in 2004 weak doughy boys and came back in the fall of 2005 chiseled men, but what actually happened in that year? was it that they naturally entered their physical primes or did they get kidnapped by swedish gary roberts and got mercilessly worked into shape? (sidenote: young gary roberts himself had a rep for being fat and lazy)

and 100 on valuable lessons about being a pro and gunning to be the best from the sedins and mackinnon and crosby and mcdavid. those guys are all total kobe-esque maniacs. but mario lemieux ? he was born the best, it’s even on his birth certificate, and never gave a crap about maximizing his considerable gifts. if you out crosby or jagr’s will in mario’s body, or if you raised him bure’s house, we would not be talking about gretzky or orr or howe anymore.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure how that is relevant to my comment about Mynio being skinny. I think you can be skinny and still do well on the grouse grind.

Daniel (followed by Henrik) hold the Canucks' record for fastest Grouse Grind finishes. Their ability to complete the grouse grind is legendary among hockey players. Daniel in particular is known for running in marathons as well. Sedins destroying kids at the Grouse Grind every year is fun to hear for many of us of course.
Most of these kids have never done something like this before. Twins have done this dozens of times.

plenty of weekend warriors would have bested these young hockey players on the grind. Don’t make that much of it really.

Reactions: F A N

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Most of these kids have never done something like this before. Twins have done this dozens of times.

plenty of weekend warriors would have bested these young hockey players on the grind. Don’t make that much of it really.

It's a team building activity, not a race. lol.

The Sedins blasting the field is just about them using it as a tool to illustrate the commitment and levels of fitness and effort required to be that successful in the NHL.

That's it. That's all. :laugh:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's a team building activity, not a race. lol.

The Sedins blasting the field is just about them using it as a tool to illustrate the commitment and levels of fitness and effort required to be that successful in the NHL.

That's it. That's all. :laugh:

Oh it's definitely a race. These guys aren't chatting with each other and waiting for each other to catch up so they can go up the mountain together.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Oh it's definitely a race. These guys aren't chatting with each other and waiting for each other to catch up so they can go up the mountain together.

Nah. It's definitely not a race. It's a challenge to do their best, maybe some bragging rights on the line for doing well...but it's a team bonding thing above all else. Same shit as military training, using shared physical exertion and experience to bring a troop together. To see who pushes themselves and motivates others.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Nah. It's definitely not a race. It's a challenge to do their best, maybe some bragging rights on the line for doing well...but it's a team bonding thing above all else. Same shit as military training, using shared physical exertion and experience to bring a troop together. To see who pushes themselves and motivates others.

Maybe you're right. Did they split into groups like previous years?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

It's a race in the way that everything is a race with most high-level athletes, but management isn't likely to be drawing any conclusions from this unless a kid quits halfway or something. Dev camps like this are mostly about bringing these kids into the fold, building bonds within the group and between the players and the org, and giving them some exposure and an indication of expectations so that they have better footing under them when it comes time for the real thing. It's not an accident that every couple years we hear about how player A and player B got along well at dev camp and became close friends by the time they made it to the organization for real.

Reactions: F A N and biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad