Speculation: Mikko Rantanen

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think right at 12 would be where he fits probably, I wonder if the Avs have any sort of internal rule of "Not more than Mack" or something. If he settles for 10m to get term, Avs win that one easily.

I miss Capfriendly, can't figure out a damned thing now for what the Cap could look like for the Avs in the next year or so for cap space, etc.

A boat load of uncertainty still as of today due to the Nichushkin and Landeskog situations.

If both end up healthy and playing for the Avs, our cap situation is pretty rough. If either guy ends up LTIRetired(Landeskog) or Terminated(Nichushkin) it does get more reasonable.

HelmutCool

Jul 3, 2024
I think right at 12 would be where he fits probably, I wonder if the Avs have any sort of internal rule of "Not more than Mack" or something. If he settles for 10m to get term, Avs win that one easily.

I miss Capfriendly, can't figure out a damned thing now for what the Cap could look like for the Avs in the next year or so for cap space, etc.
Capwages.com is pretty decent. At least pretty similar to capfriendly.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
That's right.

$12 million yearly is fair.

The Finn is clearly better than the Swede.

Between Rantanen and Landeskog.
Lol in any case be happy your team is so well managed, few teams have a young core locked up for years (pretty much the whole top-6, at least the top D pair and Georgiev) while the rest of the roster is cheap and effective.

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
Avs fan here: He played hard ball last time unlike our other stars. I think his production will warrant at least 12 million if he plays with MacKinnon and Makar. He complements them well.

I rather wait with the contract and play him with Mittelstadt until Nichushkin/Landeskog comes back or they are replaced to balance out the firepower and see how he does. If he is lazy and does less than PPG I rather offer 8 years @ 80 million.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Avs fan here: He played hard ball last time unlike our other stars. I think his production will warrant at least 12 million if he plays with MacKinnon and Makar. He complements them well.

I rather wait with the contract and play him with Mittelstadt until Nichushkin/Landeskog comes back or they are replaced to balance out the firepower and see how he does. If he is lazy and does less than PPG I rather offer 8 years @ 80 million.
laaaazzzzyyyy 😂

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think maybe you're letting the Avs beating up on the Flames cloud your judgement.

I think the funniest article I read about Rantanen was by this Canes bloke back in 2015 (the infamous draft Boston f***ed up royally on), I had to really look for it but I found it - https://bleacherreport.com/articles...en-as-possible-carolina-hurricanes-draft-pick

WTF is "North Carolina Culture?"

I'm not really sure, but I'd hazard a guess to say a big part of "North Carolina Culture" is liking NASCAR, and honestly, it might be difficult for a Finn to understand racing on pavement and only turning left.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not really sure, but I'd hazard a guess to say a big part of "North Carolina Culture" is liking NASCAR, and honestly, it might be difficult for a Finn to understand racing on pavement and only turning left.
Weird then that so many fins seemed to be perfectly fine in yee-haw-ville like Aho, Teravainen (gone now), Kotkaniemi, Raanta, and drafted a lot more.

I hate some mates that live there, no clue wtf that random blog wanker is on about for NC Culture fit, considering Canes have drafted a lot of Euros.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Can't see the Avs offering Rantanen anything over 11M especially since MacKinnon already makes 12.5M. They're very fortunate that Makar doesn't make 10M+.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Weird then that so many fins seemed to be perfectly fine in yee-haw-ville like Aho, Teravainen (gone now), Kotkaniemi, Raanta, and drafted a lot more.

I hate some mates that live there, no clue wtf that random blog wanker is on about for NC Culture fit, considering Canes have drafted a lot of Euros.

And how many of those Finns/Euros have become hard core NASCAR fans, or have a strong opinion about college basketball (aka Duke vs NC)? How many believe vinegar based BBQ sauce is the best in the world? Or drink sweet tea on the regular?

It's almost like there is a massive difference between being "perfectly fine" living somewhere for a job that pays you millions of dollars and actually assimilating into the local culture.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
And how many of those Finns/Euros have become hard core NASCAR fans, or have a strong opinion about college basketball (aka Duke vs NC)? How many believe vinegar based BBQ sauce is the best in the world? Or drink sweet tea on the regular?

It's almost like there is a massive difference between being "perfectly fine" living somewhere for a job that pays you millions of dollars and actually assimilating into the local culture.
I had no idea you had to eat, sleep, drink Nascar all day and every day. Weird then so many Euro players still choose to sign there at all. The NHL needs more Jethro's and Billy Bob's. I guess Deangelo liking it there made a ton of sense. They should deal for Connelly.

As my Dad told me as a lad whilst at Silvestone - "If you want to watch Nascar, flush a bag of skittles in the toilet, this right here is poetry in motion (Formula 1)."

Imagine not fitting in because you can't get into cars going really fast in a massive oval for hours.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I suspect he signs somewhere in the 11-12 range and know that he is worth every penny. broke over hundred points the past two seasons, 6”4 and over 215LBS. He shows up in the playoffs too! Would be a fair deal for both sides.

Not to make this about Marner but I would love to see this deal get done and throw it in his face. Marner is 80-85% his player and shrinks and disappears in the playoffs. The fact he might ask for anything close to what Rantanen is a complete joke!

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I had no idea you had to eat, sleep, drink Nascar all day and every day. Weird then so many Euro players still choose to sign there at all. The NHL needs more Jethro's and Billy Bob's. I guess Deangelo liking it there made a ton of sense. They should deal for Connelly.

As my Dad told me as a lad whilst at Silvestone - "If you want to watch Nascar, flush a bag of skittles in the toilet, this right here is poetry in motion (Formula 1)."

Imagine not fitting in because you can't get into cars going really fast in a massive oval for hours.

I'm pretty sure it's only a requirement if you want to truly understand the North Carolina Culture that article claimed might be a problem for Rantanen. Since Finland is known for producing elite rally drivers, my initial quip about Finns not understanding why anyone would want to only drive on pavement and turn left (instead of throwing a car sideways through a forest) was intended as a joke.

The reality is that Raleigh is very similar to pretty much every other city in the US, and has a little bit of everything, not to mention a healthy dose of Southern hospitality and charm. Add in the Hurricanes commitment to build a contender and it's no surprise that so many players like it there.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
To me, it should be the world's easiest negotiation... 12x8.

Colorado shouldn't be able to ignore Nylander's 11.5 a year earlier... and MacK at $12.6 makes for a decent team ceiling.

That being said, Colorado somehow got him to ignore Marner's $11m last time.. so maybe they're thinking they can get him to do it again?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I suspect he signs somewhere in the 11-12 range and know that he is worth every penny. broke over hundred points the past two seasons, 6”4 and over 215LBS. He shows up in the playoffs too! Would be a fair deal for both sides.

Not to make this about Marner but I would love to see this deal get done and throw it in his face. Marner is 80-85% his player and shrinks and disappears in the playoffs. The fact he might ask for anything close to what Rantanen is a complete joke!
Have to assume Pastrnak contract is the floor for Rantanen at $11.25 mill. And it will have been in effective for 2 seasons already by the time Rantanen begins his next contract, so should see a bump on that.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Rantanen has been a complete disappointment the past two playoffs. Completely relied on MacGinnon last season.

Nylander and Pasternaque should be the ceiling for what Rantanen gets.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
To me, it should be the world's easiest negotiation... 12x8.

Colorado shouldn't be able to ignore Nylander's 11.5 a year earlier... and MacK at $12.6 makes for a decent team ceiling.

That being said, Colorado somehow got him to ignore Marner's $11m last time.. so maybe they're thinking they can get him to do it again?

I don't disagree that Rantanen left some money on the table last time, but, to be fair, Marner had much better leverage to get more money coming off his ELC than Rantanen after leading the Leafs in scoring (playing mostly with Tavares and Hyman) and being 4th in the NHL in assists, while also getting Selke votes.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I dunno what you're taking bout.

We have saunas in every house.

Just go to the attic.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
If I'm Colorado front office they face to a couple of very specials situations.
Nichushkin case
Landeskog rehab his surgery
Rantanen extention.

All combine is a headache to a gm

Let's see what Colorado front office hopes
Landeskog return healthy and productive
Nichushkin failed his return and contract ended without Colorado penalized
Rantanen sign extension
It will left $ to Colorado to acquire players at the deadline

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
If I'm Colorado front office they face to a couple of very specials situations.
Nichushkin case
Landeskog rehab his surgery
Rantanen extention.

All combine is a headache to a gm

Let's see what Colorado front office hopes
Landeskog return healthy and productive
Nichushkin failed his return and contract ended without Colorado penalized
Rantanen sign extension
It will left $ to Colorado to acquire players at the deadline

If I were a betting man, I would say:
- Landeskog doesn't make a return sadly
- Nuke comes back mid-November, plays well, and the team trades him next summer when his NMC changes to a 12-team NTC June 15
- Mikko re-signs for 12mx8 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad