CFL 2024

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IIRC they did apologize for the comment. 3 years ago when it was made.

It was a dumb thing to say but all it meant was that they wanted to diversify their fanbase and attract new fans. Not that they hated old white men.

Get over it.
Then why didnt they just say that they needed to diversify...reach out to younger demographics?
Why even bring up skin color?

The wording they used wasnt by accident...especially when you consider how woke this team has become.
Such a joke.

I feel the exact same way, I’ve loved every second of watching the organization crash and burn since the name change. They’ve closed off the entire upper bowl forcing everyone into the lower and even still when they have to show the stands on tv there’s entire sections nearly empty.

The only way I’d ever financially support that club again would be if they changed the name to Esks or Eskies and restore the teams history. Thats a fair compromise that would probably get you quite a few season ticket holders back.

But I think for many the ship has sailed and indifference has set in. The place in their minds and wallets the Eskimos used to occupy has been replaced with something else and for many of them I don’t think another name change or better performance brings them back to the stadium beyond the occasional game every few years because someone gave them free tickets and they had nothing better to do.
I could probably live with Eskies or Esks so long as they fully embraced the Eskimo heritage.
The BOD would have to go though.
They represent something that IMO is impossible to support.

Regarding the highlighted portion of your post...I suspect that you are right.
For many they have permanently tarnished this franchise to the point of no return
What a shame.

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Then why didnt they just say that they needed to diversify...reach out to younger demographics?
Why even bring up skin color?

The wording they used wasnt by accident...especially when you consider how woke this team has become.
Such a joke.

I could probably live with Eskies or Esks so long as they fully embraced the Eskimo heritage.
The BOD would have to go though.
They represent something that IMO is impossible to support.

Regarding the highlighted portion of your post...I suspect that you are right.
For many they have permanently tarnished this franchise to the point of no return
What a shame.
You might be surprised that ineptness is a much more likely explanation than malice, it is most often in the world and I’m sure it is in this case. Doesn’t mean they didn’t screw up, I just think incompetence is the explanation and not because they hate guys like you and me(especially considering the board makeup for most of eternity).

Make no mistake this board is gone, they serve no purpose once the sale is done. The ceo will be gone too, there will be nobody left from the era you are speaking about.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Riverhawks is a good comparison.

The first thing the new owner needs to do is slash ticket prices. Like severely. Stop trying to make your money before the game starts. Make it during the game with merchandise , food, beer etc. Make it fun. That's the draw of the ball park.
The difference is that Remax field is in a beautiful area of the city, and it’s intimate and you’re close to the action

Commonwealth is in awful area with awful transportation and next to no parking around…and cavernous venue for a football game
It’s great when there’s 40,000 people in the stands but those days are long gone
The one thing they did well though is the tailgate is a blast and I recommend anyone who goes to a game…visit the tailgate

Now, there’s not much they can about the stadium outside of tarping the upper deck, but yes..the new owner needs to slash ticket prices

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Riverhawks is a good comparison.

The first thing the new owner needs to do is slash ticket prices. Like severely. Stop trying to make your money before the game starts. Make it during the game with merchandise , food, beer etc. Make it fun. That's the draw of the ball park.

If the product is garbage you can give the tickets away for free and still be empty.

That said the CFL needs 20,000 paid bums in seats for their short schedule of only 8 home games PLUS the concessions and merchandise to barely break even.

And I don’t know about you but I haven’t seen a single person wearing any Elks merch ever. It’s about as popular as wanting tuberculosis.

Finally the player, staff and travel costs are far far more than minor league baseball. You’re not duplicating the Riverhawks unique niche success with a CFL team.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So even new ownership doesn’t change the calculus for you? I’m curious what the new owners might have to do to win someone like you back if it’s even possible. If they don”t change the name is there even a chance?

Could care less who owns it or what the team is called. The product has fallen so far and the talent so bad that it’s like watching amateur hour. Just terrible football.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Don't worry, they don't want guys like you as a customer.

"Guys like me" ?? I guess it's not ok in your opinion to want to watch what the CFL used to be as opposed to the watered down husk of its former self we get today?

If it was good football I would still be a customer. Used to have seasons tickets until the quality of the talent got to be so bad as to make it unwatchable for me. But just because I think the game is a joke doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. It's just not for me and apparently my opinion is shared by a shit ton of others as the stands are near empty now.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
"Guys like me" ?? I guess it's not ok in your opinion to want to watch what the CFL used to be as opposed to the watered down husk of its former self we get today?

If it was good football I would still be a customer. Used to have seasons tickets until the quality of the talent got to be so bad as to make it unwatchable for me. But just because I think the game is a joke doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. It's just not for me and apparently my opinion is shared by a shit ton of others as the stands are near empty now.
I think he means because you’re an older white man. Haha.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think he means because you’re an older white man. Haha.

I have no clue what got him so upset. You'd think everyone would want to have better talent which means more tickets sold and a healthier league. I miss the old CFL and am friends with Gizmo. I would love to watch today what the CFL was then.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
There was a time not even that long ago that the Eskimos could actually recruit talent and not have to empty the piggy bank for the “best” free agents every year. There were other issues with the team preventing success (coaching mostly in the Maas era), but the team had some good players as a core and actually were able to bring in solid talent. For a good 5 years they brought in a good receiver almost every year.

That’s all gone now too. It’s basically at the level of an expansion franchise now, name and mascot included.
The Grey Cup champion coach from last year was a coaching problem here? Not even close.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Grey Cup champion coach from last year was a coaching problem here? Not even close.
That temper of his sure looked like it was a problem while he was here. He’s looked more in control of his emotions in Montreal and that’s helped him. He wasn’t ready for the head coaching job when he got it here and it probably took getting fired and spending a couple years as an offensive coordinator again somewhere else to change that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That temper of his sure looked like it was a problem while he was here. He’s looked more in control of his emotions in Montreal and that’s helped him. He wasn’t ready for the head coaching job when he got it here and it probably took getting fired and spending a couple years as an offensive coordinator again somewhere else to change that.

His complete inability to make adjustments at half and make the right decisions under pressure stick out as well.

Reactions: Valhallis

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Could care less who owns it or what the team is called. The product has fallen so far and the talent so bad that it’s like watching amateur hour. Just terrible football.
Same here. The Elks/Esks have been trash for far longer than the name change. Since the Oilers are actually a good team now it shines an even bigger and brighter light on the overall organizational incompetence that has plagued the team for well over a decade. Dealing Ricky Ray for peanuts was a cardinal sin.

Reactions: Valhallis

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Same here. The Elks/Esks have been trash for far longer than the name change. Since the Oilers are actually a good team now it shines an even bigger and brighter light on the overall organizational incompetence that has plagued the team for well over a decade. Dealing Ricky Ray for peanuts was a cardinal sin.
Wrong

1721666389518.jpeg

after name change
1721666503762.jpeg

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dunnigan was on 1440 this morning. Very cryptic, but he sure eluded to there being a lot of issues that the public isn't even aware about.

Talked about they need to just air all their grievances and move on.

Sure sounded like a disgruntled bunch of guys with some being promised certain things that just aren't happening. Then add the losing and it's just created a perfect storm.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

The talent level hasn't fallen that much, it's still pretty much the defacto 2nd best league in the world. I think the bigger issues right now is that a lot of people are struggling with finances since Covid ended, and Ambrosie inspires as much confidence as expired milk. What we're seeing really is a league wide down period for attendance. It's not insurmountable, but we need a fresh face as Commish.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Dunnigan was on 1440 this morning. Very cryptic, but he sure eluded to there being a lot of issues that the public isn't even aware about.

Talked about they need to just air all their grievances and move on.

Sure sounded like a disgruntled bunch of guys with some being promised certain things that just aren't happening. Then add the losing and it's just created a perfect storm.
Also heard them say they are leaning to renaming the club to Esks. Like why even bother? Go back to Eskimos or leave it and move forward.

Also if I had to guess broken promises, it would be that Ford was promised to start, then they brought in MBT. I think this pissed off a lot of the locker room.

Reactions: Sanchez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Also heard them say they are leaning to renaming the club to Esks. Like why even bother? Go back to Eskimos or leave it and move forward.

Also if I had to guess broken promises, it would be that Ford was promised to start, then they brought in MBT. I think this pissed off a lot of the locker room.
I think renaming it to "Esks" would be a decent compromise that both sides could live with. This way you avoid the explosions but at the same time revert to something that is historically what many called the club. In all these years, I have always called the club "Esks" or "Eskies" so this might be the solution that the new club owners can go with.

"Elks" has always sounded bad if only because there is no such word in the English language. It sounds like Homer Simpson saying that he went out to a farm and rode some "sheeps."

As for the players being disgruntled well how surprised can we be? When you play for a team that is this bad then surely no player could be happy with the situation.

Anyway, let's hope that an announcement is coming soon.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think renaming it to "Esks" would be a decent compromise that both sides could live with. This way you avoid the explosions but at the same time revert to something that is historically what many called the club. In all these years, I have always called the club "Esks" or "Eskies" so this might be the solution that the new club owners can go with.

"Elks" has always sounded bad if only because there is no such word in the English language. It sounds like Homer Simpson saying that he went out to a farm and rode some "sheeps."

As for the players being disgruntled well how surprised can we be? When you play for a team that is this bad then surely no player could be happy with the situation.

Yup, Esks would be fine by me, and what I would have preferred all along, if a name change had to happen. Thought it was the logical choice back then. But here we are. ;)

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yup, Esks would be fine by me, and what I would have preferred all along, if a name change had to happen. Thought it was the logical choice back then. But here we are. ;)

Well if you didn't think Elks was a word, what is an Esk?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Well if you didn't think Elks was a word, what is an Esk?
It's a term I've used about a few thousand times in my life to describe my football team. As in Go Esks Go, or did you you see the Esks game last night. I don't really care if the choice they make is an actual word or not, I care what the word/term is. Esks somewhat fixes a huge error the franchise made without pissing off the few woke people that caused the ruckus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad