CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is the second time in a few weeks that he has gone off about the schedule. This isn’t anything new. It was negotiated in the CBA by his PA which as a player he is part of. A good part of the reason he is getting a very good salary is due to TV money, and they want games spread out during the summer, starting on Thursday. No different than the NFL with their Thursday games. Don’t really care for whiny athletes that constantly look outwardly to place blame for their problems.
And its not as if other teams in the CFL don't have to contend with the brutal 18 game schedule and short turn around weeks. I understand his point but suck it up and play. When you win then everything feels a lot better.

When do you see the Elks getting two wins?
Hopefully sometime in 2024.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
As someone who used to go to 5 or 6 games a season with my inlaws and kids, and stopped all support after the "old white males" comment from the team

It actually makes me smile to watch the team burn...sell the team, rename it and try again

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This is the second time in a few weeks that he has gone off about the schedule. This isn’t anything new. It was negotiated in the CBA by his PA which as a player he is part of. A good part of the reason he is getting a very good salary is due to TV money, and they want games spread out during the summer, starting on Thursday. No different than the NFL with their Thursday games. Don’t really care for whiny athletes that constantly look outwardly to place blame for their problems.
He came off the bye and went 0-2 as a starter against Ottawa who had the same rest lol.

Shut your mouth MBT.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I've been there too. It makes it tough to go to work everyday and it really takes a toll on your mental health.

Somebody I knew in the igloo told me that working with Tillman wasn't much better. People just wanted to stay home. At least with Tillman he wasn't there as much and was not on the field.

The name change hasn't helped but there is no doubt in my mind that a long series of "bad hires" has really hurt the club. The cumulative damage is now being seen on the field and in the stands. It is embarssing to watch.
If I had to work for Tillman, first thing I would do is remove the belt loops from all my pants.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is anyone else concerned for the future of this team and for the league?

I’ve been cheering for the green and gold since 1974 but I gave up my season tickets 3 years ago. All of my friends and family have completely turned their backs to the CFL. My children and their friends have no interest in the team or league.

Will the Double E and CFL survive?

CFL is a dying league. It might be nothing more than a trivia question in a decade or so.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s laughable the situation they’ve put themselves in.

Jerked a good young QB around until he got so jaded with the team that he refused to play unless he starts.

And now they can’t even start him even though he’s probably the better option because it might send the wrong message.

Laughable.

If you planted a Stampeders mole within the organization I’m not sure they could’ve sabotaged the team as well as Jones did.

They’ve turned into the Buffalo Sabres of the CFL, where even well intentioned moves somehow blow up in their faces. Signed the best FG kicker from last season, comes here and immediately turns into the worst kicker in pro football.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It’s laughable the situation they’ve put themselves in.

Jerked a good young QB around until he got so jaded with the team that he refused to play unless he starts.

And now they can’t even start him even though he’s probably the better option because it might send the wrong message.

Laughable.

If you planted a Stampeders mole within the organization I’m not sure they could’ve sabotaged the team as well as Jones did.

They’ve turned into the Buffalo Sabres of the CFL, where even well intentioned moves somehow blow up in their faces. Signed the best FG kicker from last season, comes here and immediately turns into the worst kicker in pro football.

There was a time not even that long ago that the Eskimos could actually recruit talent and not have to empty the piggy bank for the “best” free agents every year. There were other issues with the team preventing success (coaching mostly in the Maas era), but the team had some good players as a core and actually were able to bring in solid talent. For a good 5 years they brought in a good receiver almost every year.

That’s all gone now too. It’s basically at the level of an expansion franchise now, name and mascot included.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hamilton about to choke away a 17 point lead to Arbuckle. You can't make this stuff up.

Narrow escape for the Cats. The Elks will be the last team to win a game for the second year in a row. After last night's loss, the only path left to the playoffs is jumping the Bombers and Stamps. They do play both of them three times, and they're only 2 wins off the pace if the Lions beat Calgary tomorrow, incredibly enough. Of course, the team would have to actually win some games prior to Labour Day to give this scenario any slim chance of playing out, so it probably won't matter anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is anyone else concerned for the future of this team and for the league?

I’ve been cheering for the green and gold since 1974 but I gave up my season tickets 3 years ago. All of my friends and family have completely turned their backs to the CFL. My children and their friends have no interest in the team or league.

Will the Double E and CFL survive?

The only thing keeping it alive is the TV contract. Attendance is down in pretty much every market, and to a man, every 30 and under sports fan I talk to doesn’t follow the CFL, but they do follow the NFL. Never say never, but the league would have to reinvent itself to survive. In its current state it will last as long as TSN allows it to.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Since I was born, the Elkimos have won one more championship than their hockey brethren.

Yeesh, what a team. If only there was a generational talent to make this team good.

They've won 4 times since 1990 haven't they? Or I'm not understanding this comment.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As someone who used to go to 5 or 6 games a season with my inlaws and kids, and stopped all support after the "old white males" comment from the team

It actually makes me smile to watch the team burn...sell the team, rename it and try again
Yup.
I never thought that this team could possibly alienate fans (especially a former season ticket holder like myself) but they not only did it but they did it in spades.
This team has been a woke joke since the name change.
F**k the Elks.
Crash and burn baby.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Whelp…watched my first CFL game in probably 4 years after being a die hard for 40 years. Toronto v Hamilton.

Question: does anyone know how to tackle?

I cant even watch the Grey Cup anymore. The lack of talent and the poor play is like watching bad high school football. Arena football players are better than what gravitates up to the bottom of the sludge barrel CFL. It is Tier 4 football where players cant tackle, cant run, cant catch, cant make consistent plays. Watching CFL is watching below minor league grade sports. That this has a $50 million dollar TV contract is the biggest joke in pro sports other than Gary Bettman's management of the NHL. Your 100% correct, without TSN this league folds tomorrow.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I cant even watch the Grey Cup anymore. The lack of talent and the poor play is like watching bad high school football. Arena football players are better than what gravitates up to the bottom of the sludge barrel CFL. It is Tier 4 football where players cant tackle, cant run, cant catch, cant make consistent plays. Watching CFL is watching below minor league grade sports. That this has a $50 million dollar TV contract is the biggest joke in pro sports other than Gary Bettman's management of the NHL. Your 100% correct, without TSN this league folds tomorrow.

The talent level is just not there anymore. It used to be that pretty much every good Cdn stayed and played in the CFL, it was beyond rare to have one go and play in the US. Now all the best Cdns play in the NFL, and the ones that are left are mainly B grade talent. Every single QB playing in the CFL today wouldn’t have had a hope of being a starter back in the heyday of the league. And liberal free agency has pretty much eliminated the chance for fans to identify with their teams roster, it is in a state of constant flux, especially with our team.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yup.
I never thought that this team could possibly alienate fans (especially a former season ticket holder like myself) but they not only did it but they did it in spades.
This team has been a woke joke since the name change.
F**k the Elks.
Crash and burn baby.

It really is sad that the BOD has buggered things up so badly that former STH’s are at the point where they want the current team to just not exist anymore, to be wiped from history. You aren’t alone, many ex STH’s I talk to feel the same way. Probably the one thing I’m pissed at the most is that the BOD tried to pretend that the Eskimos never existed, just such an insult to fans and former players. The BOD has ruined the local football experience for thousands of former diehard fans. Just disgusting.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It really is sad that the BOD has buggered things up so badly that former STH’s are at the point where they want the current team to just not exist anymore, to be wiped from history. You aren’t alone, many ex STH’s I talk to feel the same way. Probably the one thing I’m pissed at the most is that the BOD tried to pretend that the Eskimos never existed, just such an insult to fans and former players. The BOD has ruined the local football experience for thousands of former diehard fans. Just disgusting.
Perfectly put my friend.
I couldnt agree with you more...you underscored something so critical for me personally.

The fact that they try so hard to pretend that the Eskimos (that amazing iconic franchise) didnt exist angers and disgusts me much much more than anything else...even the old whites guys comment.

That Eskimo team was a part of my life in Edmonton since my childhood. My friends as well.
Its revered and they trashed it. They distanced themselves from it like it was an embarrassment.
All that tradition is now tarnished and for what?
Absolutely disgusting.
They will never get another penny from me.

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Perfectly put my friend.
I couldnt agree with you more...you underscored something so critical for me personally.

The fact that they try so hard to pretend that the Eskimos (that amazing iconic franchise) didnt exist angers and disgusts me much much more than anything else...even the old whites guys comment.

That Eskimo team was a part of my life in Edmonton since my childhood. My friends as well.
Its revered and they trashed it. They distanced themselves from it like it was an embarrassment.
All that tradition is now tarnished and for what?
Absolutely disgusting.
They will never get another penny from me.
Everyone who even remotely still cares about the franchise should give the new ownership a chance. Look what's happening in BC.

Ad

Ad

Ad