Canucks 2024-2025 Line Combinations and Roster Discussion

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I’m not sure too many have high hopes for Raty given his time in the AHL since the trade. But if he’s going to make it, then he’s going to have to be a very good to excellent player in the ahl this year.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think a dark horse candidate for the roster is Nathan Smith. Just a hunch, but I think the Canucks saw something in him, went after him hard on opening day, and I think they see him as a potential NHLer.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think a dark horse candidate for the roster is Nathan Smith. Just a hunch, but I think the Canucks saw something in him, went after him hard on opening day, and I think they see him as a potential NHLer.

Wouldn't surprise me. He was the one mentioned as the "Joshua-type" signing, and Ryan Johnson targeted him specifically. At the very least, I'd expect he'll have a large role on the farm.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
things could change once training camp starts. if say for example young guys beats out podkolzin or hoglander for a spot. they could be dangled as trade bait before the regular season starts.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I personally never had particularly high hopes for Raty, and was surprised that others did.
It shouldn't be surprising at all.

His only real flaw (and its a major one) is his skating. If he was able to fix his stride he becomes a legit top 6 prospect.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Couple notes from Drance in the Athletic:

Desharnais:
The Athletic said:
In reviewing my notes and considering that answer over the weekend, I found it difficult to shake the possibility that perhaps the club might look at different combinations on the back end this upcoming season. Hronek and Hughes were attached at the hip last season, rarely playing full games apart, but one wonders if we may see incoming free-agent signing Vincent Desharnais given an audition in a top-pair role for a stretch this upcoming season. He’d certainly be a candidate to match Tocchet’s “bigger defenseman that can sling Hughes the puck and play a smart game” description.

Replacing Lindholm and/or Boeser face-offs:
The Athletic said:
On paper, the Canucks’ decision to strengthen themselves on the wings at the expense of what had become a key strength made logical sense. In practice, Lindholm’s departure still leaves a vacancy for Vancouver down the middle of their forward group and takes away a key attribute — a right-handed faceoff winner — that it is surely going to require in May (even if the Canucks can get by without it in the regular season).

We asked Tocchet about this a few weeks ago, and this is another one of his answers that didn’t make it into our July one-on-one with the Canucks bench boss:

“The first half of the year, I think our centremen did a really nice job committee-wise. With guys like Blueger and Suter, you can move them around the lineup and play the hot hand. So whoever plays with Conor Garland and Dakota Joshua, it’s a situation where there may be some moving parts. What’s sustainable? Can either guy hold down that position for a long time?

“Having that right-handed luxury on faceoffs, it’s something we may have to toy with. People might laugh, but I know Boeser took a few draws last year, and I might see if he takes some faceoffs at training camp. We may have to experiment and not be afraid of it. The depth down the middle, with Pettersson and Miller, I think we’re going to be OK there. It’s a situation where we’ll lean on Teddy and Pius to be interchangeable.”

Sounds like Suter and Blueger will move around. Blueger is better in the dot, so could take the defensive zone assignments, and he'll be one of our top PKers at forward.

Reactions: Vector

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It shouldn't be surprising at all.

His only real flaw (and its a major one) is his skating. If he was able to fix his stride he becomes a legit top 6 prospect.
I just don't feel the same way about his offensive potential. Thought he was a bit of a nothing prospect from the beginning, personally.

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
I just don't feel the same way about his offensive potential. Thought he was a bit of a nothing prospect from the beginning, personally.
I mean, something like 70-80% of 2nd round picks bust, so it would not be particularly surprising from a probability standpoint.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I’m not sure too many have high hopes for Raty given his time in the AHL since the trade. But if he’s going to make it, then he’s going to have to be a very good to excellent player in the ahl this year.
When you look at Raty's progress as a prospect, one thing stands out. Whenever he moves up a tier he initially struggles. It happened in Finland when he moved up from junior ranks to the Finnish pro Liga. And then plummeted down the draft boards after being projected for a time as a potential first overall pick.

Likewise after his move to NA, he was underwhelming in a season spit between the NY Islanders, Bridgeport, Vancouver and Abbotsford. Last year in Abbotsford he had one of the best seasons in the AHL for a player 21-and under. He was only 20 when the AHL season started.

So things are trending in the direction of a solid 2024-25 AHL season, with maybe even a few injury callups to Vancouver. One thing is for sure. If Raty doesn't make it, it'll be a huge disappointment to the Canuck scouting staff. He was the key element coming back from the Islanders in the Horvat trade. And they didn't acquire him to have him top out as an AHL center.

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
When you look at Raty's progress as a prospect, one thing stands out. Whenever he moves up a tier he initially struggles. It happened in Finland when he moved up from junior ranks to the Finnish pro Liga. And then plummeted down the draft boards after being projected for a time as a potential first overall pick.

Likewise after his move to NA, he was underwhelming in a season spit between the NY Islanders, Bridgeport, Vancouver and Abbotsford. Last year in Abbotsford he had one of the best seasons in the AHL for a player 21-and under. He was only 20 when the AHL season started.

So things are trending in the direction of a solid 2024-25 AHL season, with maybe even a few injury callups to Vancouver. One thing is for sure. If Raty doesn't make it, it'll be a huge disappointment to the Canuck scouting staff. He was the key element coming back from the Islanders in the Horvat trade. And they didn't acquire him to have him top out as an AHL center.
I’m going to go on a limb and say the Islanders’ 1st round pick, used to obtain our top pairing RD, was the key element coming back.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not sure we will actually see much in the way of competition in the training camp. Players could surprise with poor or great performances, but there isn't much wiggle room.

For the forwards it seems to me as if 10 of the 13 spots are virtually locked in:

Miller, Boeser, DeBrusk, EP, Joshua, Suter, Garland, Heinen, Sherwood, Blueger.

I think it would take a huge fall off from one of them (or an injury) or a huge performance from someone else to knock them out of the starting lineup.

Then you have Sprong and Hoglander very likely to fill in the final two on ice spots. They are probably on shorter leashes, but are still in the lead.

Anyone who can clear waivers will have a hell of a time making the team.

Which leaves Pod, PDG, and Aman fighting for the 13th spot. I imagine that Pod gets claimed if they try to send him down. I'm not sure PDG or Aman get claimed.

So either we see a trade from the forward ranks (and really only Hog or Pod are trade fodder right now), or I think it is most likely Pod keeps that 13th spot and we risk losing PDG and/or Aman.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm not sure we will actually see much in the way of competition in the training camp. Players could surprise with poor or great performances, but there isn't much wiggle room.

For the forwards it seems to me as if 10 of the 13 spots are virtually locked in:

Miller, Boeser, DeBrusk, EP, Joshua, Suter, Garland, Heinen, Sherwood, Blueger.

I think it would take a huge fall off from one of them (or an injury) or a huge performance from someone else to knock them out of the starting lineup.

Then you have Sprong and Hoglander very likely to fill in the final two on ice spots. They are probably on shorter leashes, but are still in the lead.

Anyone who can clear waivers will have a hell of a time making the team.

Which leaves Pod, PDG, and Aman fighting for the 13th spot. I imagine that Pod gets claimed if they try to send him down. I'm not sure PDG or Aman get claimed.

So either we see a trade from the forward ranks (and really only Hog or Pod are trade fodder right now), or I think it is most likely Pod keeps that 13th spot and we risk losing PDG and/or Aman.

Yeah, there isn't much room since the team is looking for more offense and not more defensive grinders in the bottom six. You'd think Hoglander and Sprong would have a leg up since they bring goals, though if Sprong's defensive issues persist I could see him rotating with a 13F in games where you want a bit more defensively or physically, which you're right, is probably what these guys are competing for. I'd say there may be some upside for PDG and Aman since they are both used quite a bit on the PK. Still, with Miller, Pettersson, Suter, Blueger, Joshua, Heinen, and DeBrusk all being usable on the PK, I don't think you're really looking to accommodate any guys just for forward PK depth.

Podkolzin will have to pull off a miracle to be anything but a 13F, he isn't a special teams guy and hasn't recently generated any offense. He plays a heavier game than some of these guys, but that isn't going to be enough to crack the line-up regularly.

I expect PDG ends up on waivers at least, since his skillset is pretty redundant generally given the other forwards. At least Aman plays centre. I'm not entirely sure, but the cap will also play into it, as I dunno if you need to waive Aman to stay under it. I'd be surprised if either Aman or PDG is claimed, though either could be if some team needs to bolster their PK at forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, there isn't much room since the team is looking for more offense and not more defensive grinders in the bottom six. You'd think Hoglander and Sprong would have a leg up since they bring goals, though if Sprong's defensive issues persist I could see him rotating with a 13F in games where you want a bit more defensively or physically, which you're right, is probably what these guys are competing for. I'd say there may be some upside for PDG and Aman since they are both used quite a bit on the PK. Still, with Miller, Pettersson, Suter, Blueger, Joshua, Heinen, and DeBrusk all being usable on the PK, I don't think you're really looking to accommodate any guys just for forward PK depth.

Podkolzin will have to pull off a miracle to be anything but a 13F, he isn't a special teams guy and hasn't recently generated any offense. He plays a heavier game than some of these guys, but that isn't going to be enough to crack the line-up regularly.

I expect PDG ends up on waivers at least, since his skillset is pretty redundant generally given the other forwards. At least Aman plays centre. I'm not entirely sure, but the cap will also play into it, as I dunno if you need to waive Aman to stay under it. I'd be surprised if either Aman or PDG is claimed, though either could be if some team needs to bolster their PK at forward.
I like PDG and Aman and think they bring good utility to the 4th line and especially the PK. They would be a great resource to stash in Abbotsford if they can get through waivers. But it also isn't the end of the world if one of them is nabbed. I'd think of the three Podz might still have some kind of trade value, though not much. Hoglander certainly would have more if they are looking in that direction.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
PDG a year older + slower - No way he should be even the extra forward on this canucks team

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I hate that we don't have a great player wearing jersey number 4.
There can be only one

1723241300341.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy