Canucks 2024-2025 Line Combinations and Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There are still two glaring holes on this Canucks roster; despite all the optimism. They're still missing a mobile, puck-moving d-man who can move into their top four. Maybe that's Wilander by March if his NCAA season ends early.

And of course with the departure of Lindholm, they're down a scoring center. Blueger and Suter are decent fill-ins. But neither guy brings the offense you really need out of a third-line center.

That's why I'm really hoping that Raty, Sasson, or both can show something in training camp. They desperately need these guys to succeed and become serious challengers for NHL employment.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There are still two glaring holes on this Canucks roster; despite all the optimism. They're still missing a mobile, puck-moving d-man who can move into their top four. Maybe that's Wilander by March if his NCAA season ends early.
I think Allvin has made it quite clear that he expects Hronek to be that guy on a second pairing. He has stated a few times they want him to take more of a role that way and if with Hughes then he is mostly a spectator.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
On defense, the consensus seems to be:

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais
Juulsen
IMO

Hughes - Myers
Soucy - Hronek
Forbot - Deharnais
Juulsen
DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland
Hoglander - Suter - Heinen
PDG - Blueger - Sherwood
*Aman
Debrusk - Petersson - Sprong
Heinen/Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Suter - rotation

Goal;
Demko until injured then Silovs/Topolio

Lots of depth for the bottom 7 forwards.
Little depth on defence with a few with injury histories.

I could see putting all the eggs in one basket and going with essentially three forward lines and three defencemen.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

And of course with the departure of Lindholm, they're down a scoring center. Blueger and Suter are decent fill-ins. But neither guy brings the offense you really need out of a third-line center.

That's why I'm really hoping that Raty, Sasson, or both can show something in training camp. They desperately need these guys to succeed and become serious challengers for NHL employment.

It's not really all that different than pre-training camp last year. Sure it's a bit of a different look than the end of playoffs, but they really just swapped Lindholm for extra winger depth (which was another glaring hole) and are swapping Suter/Blueger back to their intended positions as 3C/4C. The right-shot centre is more of an acute need than anything ... I believe all the centre guys in Abbotsford are also LHS, but they made due without Lindholm for most of last season.

On defense, they have always lacked one more top-four guy. Cole filled in last year quite admirably at approx. 18 mins per night, and then Zadorov came in and handled 17-18 mins. You just need to hope outside of the Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Myers foursome (who have all proven they can handle 17+ minutes in Tocchet's system), Forbort/Desharnais can also do a fair job of playing a similar role to Cole in stepping up to that ~17 minute mark (Forbort has done it for Boston historically).

Forbort/Desharnais handling the bulk of the PK work will also probably help take a bit of minute pressure off the other guys. Myers was doing a lot of work there near the end, and Soucy and Hronek were also chipping in shorthanded.

Reactions: andora

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
PDG a year older + slower - No way he should be even the extra forward on this canucks team

He’s a likeable vet that the team and coaching staff like - but his spot should definitely be in jeopardy. Long term, we definitely have more need of a developing guy like Podkolzin, Aman or even Smith.

If none of them can beat PDG for the 13th F spot…not good news.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
He’s a likeable vet that the team and coaching staff like - but his spot should definitely be in jeopardy. Long term, we definitely have more need of a developing guy like Podkolzin, Aman or even Smith.

Couldn't agree more. If Podz cant even beat out PDG he's pretty much a full blown bust. (I think he will and still believe he'll pan out but more as a bottom 6 type that shows his value in the playoffs)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Basically been that way every summer for PDG, he's benefitted from the lack of winger depth previously, but we've actually adequately addressed that this year. He was always one of the first potential cuts, though, and I don't expect he'll make it this year. Even if Podz isn't ready.

Reactions: mossey3535

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Heinen-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-Pettersson-Sprong*
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Blais-Suter-Sherwood
Hoglander*

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais
Juulsen
Freidman

With the current goalie situation I have no clue

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Heinen/Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-EP-Sprong/Lekk
Joshua-Blueger/Suter-Garland
Heinen/Hoglander-Suter/Blueger-Sherwood

Hughes-Myers
Soucy-Hronek
Forbot-Desharnais

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I'm high on Willander but also wonder if splitting up Hughes/Hronek is the best idea?

Sure but Blueger centering Joshua and garland is a really good 3rd line and suter is a very valuable 4th liner IMO.
I honestly don't know if either Raty or Sasson can be an improvement on Blueger given his chemistry on the 3rd line.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Heinen Miller Boeser
DeBrusk Pettersson Hoglander
Joshua Blueger Garland
Sprong Suter Sherwood
PDG

Hughes Hronek
Soucy Myers
Forbort Desharnais

I can see Sprong and Hoglander switching but that looks like our setup.

Reactions: TruGr1t

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Petey - Sprong
Joshua - Bleuger - Garland
Hoglander/Blais- Suter - Sherwood
PDG

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Desharnais

Demko
Silovs

You can clearly see the type of team management is trying to build. Adding guys like DeBrusk, Heinen, Sherwood, Forbort, Desharnais and maybe Blais - and it's definitely a Rick Tocchet team. Hard working and a pain in the ass to play against.

• Love
Reactions: VanillaCoke

Felix the Cat Potvin

Jun 18, 2022
I don't think Tocchet will be able to resist putting DeBrusk with Miller and Boeser, giving them some speed and heaviness on the forecheck, and lightening their responsibility from last season. Also, these kinds of forced chemistry attempts (Pettersson + DeBrusk) rarely work out for whatever reason.

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Sherwood
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sprong
PDG

Hughes-Desharnais
Soucy-Hronek
Forbort-Myers
Juulsen

Reactions: David71

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think Tocchet will be able to resist putting DeBrusk with Miller and Boeser, giving them some speed and heaviness on the forecheck, and lightening their responsibility from last season. Also, these kinds of forced chemistry attempts (Pettersson + DeBrusk) rarely work out for whatever reason.

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sprong
PDG

Hughes-Desharnais
Soucy-Hronek
Forbort-Myers
Juulsen

I think you have to stick DeBrusk with Petey and hope they figure it out. Going out and getting a legit winger for Petey was one of the team's top priorities this offseason so they will definitely try to make it work.

I also think Heinen could be a sneaky good fit with Miller and Brock. He's kind of like Suter and we all know how well Suter did on that line last year

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood
Di Giuseppe/Aman/Blais

4 solid lines that can score, multiple combinations possible, lots of options for the coaching staff, deep talented forward group.

Reactions: David71

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sprong
PDG

Hughes-Desharnais
Soucy-Hronek
Forbort-Myers
Juulsen

It may end up that way, but I don't think it will start that way. Both Tocchet and Allvin have been asked this over the summer, and both said while they see the fit of DeBrusk with Miller-Boeser, that they have to get Pettersson better wingers, and basically that will be what they try first.

I'm actually more interested in how they play around with the blue line versus the forwards, the top nine is pretty set outside of one winger spot (I fully expect Heinen is top six bound into camp). Last winger competition is Sprong/Hoglander for the final slot. Only other sort of interesting dynamic is how they swap Suter/Blueger at 3C as they've said plenty of times they view that spot between Joshua-Garland as fluid between those two.

On defense, the default seems to be Hughes-Hronek, Soucy-Myers, Forbort-Desharnais ... but I think there will be a lot of testing different pairings during camp and preseason.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
5 biggest forwards:
Miller, Boeser, DeBrusk, Joshua, Heinen (Blais)

5 smallest forwards:
Garland, Pettersson, Suter, Blueger, Hoglander (Aman)

Putting DeBrusk with Miller & Boeser would create a solid heavy line but the other 3 lines would be light and easier to play against. Garland with Petey & Hog would be a really small line and they would get bullied by bigger heavier lines. A good mix of big and small forwards together on a line would be the best option (Joshua & Garland).

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood
Di Giuseppe/Aman/Blais

4 solid lines that can score, multiple combinations possible, lots of options for the coaching staff, deep talented forward group.
no excuse for tocchet to not put some guys on certain lines to get going. he could throw joshua up with miller for more heavy forecheck and front net presence as an example. still need an upgrade on "aman" imo. maybe a righty centerman for important draws.

Hooz

Oct 25, 2017
DeBrusk - Petey - Boeser
Joshua - Miller - Garland
Heinen - Blueger - Sherwood
Hoglander - Suter - Sprong

Hoglander/Sprong’s production will be a nice luxury through the regular season, but there is no chance Tocchet would roll into game 1 of the playoffs with that 4th line. Neither do I believe either would be trusted with a top 6 role when the games really matter. I think something is going to give there before the end of the season.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

It'll come down to chemistry and fit. If they do put DeBrusk on the top line then I could see them trying one of Heinen or Joshua with Petterson.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I would say the defense needs an Ekholm, and the right side concerns me more so ideally there.

The forwards I think we might have one of the deepest groups in the league, provided Boeser plays like he did the back half of the year and playoffs and Miller doesn't regress.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I would say the defense needs an Ekholm, and the right side concerns me more so ideally there.

The forwards I think we might have one of the deepest groups in the league, provided Boeser plays like he did the back half of the year and playoffs and Miller doesn't regress.
I don't believe for a second J.T. loses anything from last season to this. Does he live here in the offseason, anyone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad