Canucks 2024-2025 Line Combinations and Roster Discussion

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sprong on the top line is not a good look. Especially with EP.

Hoglander - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Sprong
(Podkolzin)

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Desharnais
(Juulsen, Friedman)

Demko
Silovs

Sorry but the Canucks absolutely can risk losing PDG or Aman on waivers. Useful players but also replaceable.

I know people don't love the D but I'm fine with seeing what they can do and feel Juulsen is being underrated now.

Desharnais is really the only wildcard on defense. If Forbort is healthy he’s a totally serviceable bottom pairing LSD, and the rest are the same as last year.

I don’t get the impression management is near as concerned with the defense as everyone else. They were obviously more concerned with a lack of depth at wing.

Reactions: SopelFanThe3rd

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-EP-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Is how I project our line up. Sprong signing let's us keep our third line together, and allows Hoglander some consistent top 6 minutes. I really do think we have the best forward crop in the league.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My bold prediction for the opening night lineup - 1 or more injuries occur and we don’t see our team at full strength for a while.

That said, my lineup at full power currently would be -

Heinen - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Hoglander
PDG

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Desharnais
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have a log-jam at forward with now Sprong coming on board. Something has to give, or a couple of very good players will end up on waivers.

And since Allvin is always loathe to lose assets for nothing, I'd be surprised if another trade isn't in the works. IMO they're still down a puck-moving d-man; and if their third-fourth line centers are Blueger and Suter, they're not going to get a ton of offense down the middle.

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
I think there might be some magic in playing Debrusk with Miller and Boeser, and I want to see if Joshua and Garland can build some chemistry with Petey. Their board works opens up so much space and Petey can finish. I wouldn't put Sprong in the top-6 until he shows commitment to team D.

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland
Heinen - Suter - Hoglander
Sherwood - Bleuger - Sprong/Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Desharnais
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Not sure about the opening night line-up but one thing is for sure - there's lot of flexibility with our forwards and internal competition is always a good thing. I do think Sherwood is going to surprise a lot of people and play higher up in the lineup

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think there might be some magic in playing Debrusk with Miller and Boeser, and I want to see if Joshua and Garland can build some chemistry with Petey. Their board works opens up so much space and Petey can finish. I wouldn't put Sprong in the top-6 until he shows commitment to team D.

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland
Heinen - Suter - Hoglander
Sherwood - Bleuger - Sprong/Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Desharnais
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

I’m interested to see if they trial something a bit more unconventional like this early. Everyone assumes you’ll see Miller-Boeser and Pettersson-DeBrusk, but it’d be interesting.

Another option would be:

DeBrusk-Pettersson-Boeser
Joshua-Miller-Garland

Miller played with those guys briefly last year, while Tocchet has bumped Boeser to Pettersson’s wing at times to try to get him going. Makes Pettey your defacto 1C, which he should be at that salary. DeBrusk brings some of the same things Miller brought to the Lotto line, except he is dedicated wing.

Reactions: SiZ

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Some scattered lineup thoughts.

I'm a little skeptical of the Sprong - Pettersson - DeBrusk thing, to be honest. It's very tempting, but if it were that easy, Sprong would have been a top sixer on other teams already. And while Pettersson and DeBrusk are strong defensively, it's not like they're Malhotra - Hansen or anything. Mikheyev and Pettersson still mightily struggled with covering for Kuzmenko's poor defense. Willing to try it initially anyways, though. I have concerns about someone with bad habits playing anywhere near Pettersson, too, since his own consistency can be so volatile.

I'd be tempted to try him with Miller - Boeser, since it seems like they don't strictly need a third linemate to be good/reliable and can completely carry the line at both ends. Offensively, he could be like the Tanguay to their Sakic/Forsberg - Hejduk. That intrigues me a lot, although you couldn't use it as a shutdown line anymore. Also, Miller seems a lot more likely to at least somewhat hold his feet to the fire defensively. (the guy arguably needs a scolding)

Also, while I have been staunchly against moving Blueger off of the Garland line in the past, and argued that he was getting underrated for his contribution to it, I am very tempted to try swapping Suter/Blueger this time. They COULD end up being similarly effective in that Joshua-Garland role, but Blueger fits Hoglander/Sherwood's identity much more than Suter does, IMO (and Hoglander ideally should have someone cover for him defensively, and Blueger is more suited to that). He's much closer to a far superior Aman. I also feel like Suter's smart plays in tight spaces offensive game would be underutilized playing with a totally tunnel-vision straight line player like Hoglander.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but while Suter's been solid defensively, I feel like people have somewhat blown that out of proportion. I would not consider him a shutdown forward even though he played that role with Miller (but I mean, so did Di Giuseppe-- worse, but still). He was never the catalyst of that line's shutdown ability-- just a good third man support guy in that regard.

While I wouldn't go as far as to call it my ideal line-up, I'd be tempted to experiment with mixing it up like this:

Sprong - Miller - Boeser
Heinen - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Joshua - Suter - Garland
Hoglander - Blueger - Sherwood

There's a decent chance that'd click and completely blow us away, IMO.

Last edited:

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
I’m interested to see if they trial something a bit more unconventional like this early. Everyone assumes you’ll see Miller-Boeser and Pettersson-DeBrusk, but it’d be interesting.

Another option would be:

DeBrusk-Pettersson-Boeser
Joshua-Miller-Garland

Miller played with those guys briefly last year, while Tocchet has bumped Boeser to Pettersson’s wing at times to try to get him going. Makes Pettey your defacto 1C, which he should be at that salary. DeBrusk brings some of the same things Miller brought to the Lotto line, except he is dedicated wing.
A Joshua-Miller-Garland line would be really fun

Reactions: TruGr1t

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I'm a little skeptical of the Sprong - Pettersson - DeBrusk thing, to be honest. It's very tempting, but if it were that easy, Sprong would have been a top sixer on other teams already. And while Pettersson and DeBrusk are strong defensively, it's not like they're Malhotra - Hansen or anything. Mikheyev and Pettersson still mightily struggled with covering for Kuzmenko's poor defense. Willing to try it initially anyways, though. I have concerns about someone with bad habits playing anywhere near Pettersson, either, since his own consistency can be so volatile.

I'd be tempted to try him with Miller - Boeser, since it seems like they don't strictly need a third linemate to be good/reliable and can completely carry the line at both ends. Offensively, he could be like the Tanguay to their Sakic/Forsberg - Hejduk. That intrigues me a lot, although you couldn't use it as a shutdown line anymore. Also, Miller seems a lot more likely to at least somewhat hold his feet to the fire defensively. (the guy arguably needs a scolding)

Also, while I have been staunchly against moving Blueger off of the Garland line in the past, and argued that he was getting underrated for his contribution to it, I am very tempted to try swapping Suter/Blueger this time. They COULD end up being similarly effective in that Joshua-Garland role, but Blueger fits Hoglander/Sherwood's identity much more than Suter does, IMO (and Hoglander ideally should have someone cover for him defensively, and Blueger is more suited to that). He's much closer to a far superior Aman. I also feel like Suter's smart plays in tight spaces offensive game would be underutilized playing with a totally tunnel-vision straight line player like Hoglander.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but while Suter's been solid defensively, I feel like people have somewhat blown that out of proportion. I would not consider him a shutdown forward even though he played that role with Miller (but I mean, so did Di Giuseppe-- worse, but still). He was never the catalyst of that line's shutdown ability-- just a good third man support guy in that regard.

While I wouldn't go as far as to call it my ideal line-up, I'd be tempted to experiment with mixing it up like this:

Sprong - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Suter - Garland

Well thought out. Management has introduced a lot of optionality up front, and so we'll see different sets throughout the year (unlike the defense).

I definitely think your 3rd line will be tried, and a Blueger-Sherwood/Sprong combination will happen. Sprong on the top line though, I'm not sure... The Miller line matches up against the opposition's best and so I can't see Sprong given rope there. Not for long anyway...

Hoglander should start with Pettersson to see if he can keep producing up front, and then if he doesn't, try Heinen/Sherwood/Sprong/Podkolzin in his place.

I'd like to see the following to start:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Hoglander
Joshua-Suter-Garland
Sherwood-Blueger-Sprong

Edit: And don't worry so much about having an unpopular opinion here. Your insights are more than often accurate (which is more important than being popular).

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well thought out. Management has introduced a lot of optionality up front, and so we'll see different sets throughout the year (unlike the defense).

I definitely think your 3rd line will be tried, and a Blueger-Sherwood/Sprong combination will happen. Sprong on the top line though, I'm not sure... The Miller line matches up against the opposition's best and so I can't see Sprong given rope there. Not for long anyway...

Hoglander should start with Pettersson to see if he can keep producing up front, and then if he doesn't, try Heinen/Sherwood/Sprong/Podkolzin in his place.

I'd like to see the following to start:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Hoglander
Joshua-Suter-Garland
Sherwood-Blueger-Sprong

Edit: And don't worry so much about having an unpopular opinion here. Your insights are more than often accurate (which is more important than being popular).
Thanks. The Hoglander/Sprong thing is such a weird dynamic to me. They'd both ideally be on the 4th line generating everything on their own, but putting them both there would be too much of a liability (and I feel like they stylistically don't mix, either).

I generally don't like Hoglander with Pettersson. It's such a bad fit, and was only ever necessary because Pettersson was playing so poorly and unable to do anything on his own. It reminds me of when Mason Raymond was the only viable option with late-career Sedins after the wheels fell off. You reluctantly accept it due to the circumstances where they just need absolutely anything to at least keep them in the offensive zone, but you hope for something more optimal for both parties. I also feel like DeBrusk's game already accomplishes the help that Pettersson needed from Hoglander without the drawbacks, so I really don't see why Hoglander is necessary there anymore.

You would have to completely give up on the Miller line being given high leverage defensive responsibilities if Sprong were on it, but I feel like the tradeoff of them potentially clicking offensively could be worth it, provided that the other two are able to at least saw off his defensive issues and break even. Again, it reminds me of the Tanguay effect on the Colorado top lines, where Tanguay himself was pretty abysmal defensively (but with those guys, it didn't really matter).

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Thanks. The Hoglander/Sprong thing is such a weird dynamic to me. They'd both ideally be on the 4th line generating everything on their own, but putting them both there would be too much of a liability (and I feel like they stylistically don't mix, either).

I generally don't like Hoglander with Pettersson. It's such a bad fit, and was only ever necessary because Pettersson was playing so poorly and unable to do anything on his own. It reminds me of when Mason Raymond was the only viable option with late-career Sedins after the wheels fell off. You reluctantly accept it due to the circumstances where they just need absolutely anything to at least keep them in the offensive zone, but you hope for something more optimal for both parties.

You would have to completely give up on the Miller line being high leverage if Sprong were on it, but I feel like the tradeoff of them potentially click it would be worth it, provided that the other two are able to at least saw off his defensive issues and break even.

My prediction is that Tocchet eventually settles on a DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser-Hughes-Hronek 5 man unit and everything else is shuffled to suit. This could result in Sprong playing with Pettersson, or being sheltered on the 4th line. Every combination beyond them would be on the table.

I don't like Hoglander with Pettersson either. Mainly because Hoglander has limited playmaking ability. Even so, they have to start with it IMO. They have to give Podkolzin, Aman and Hoglander a shot to develop. Right now, 2 of the 3 are off the top12 rotation and another one is in trade proposals...

By mid season, it may be something like this:

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Heinen-Pettersson-Sherwood
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sprong

Where the 1st and 3rd lines are close to last year's line-up, the 2nd line scores just enough, and the 4th line is given what remains.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Sherwood Miller Boeser
DeBrusk Pettersson Hoglander
Joshua Blueger Garland
Heinen Suter Sprong

Would love it if Sherwood successfully plays the PDG role on the Miller line but with actual skill and a shot. Sprong is sprinkled in for Hoglander when we need a goal. Blueger and Suter switch spots once in a while. Heinen floats around the line up too.

I love that you could theoretically plug any forward anywhere and I wouldn’t be mad

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Sorry but the Canucks absolutely can risk losing PDG or Aman on waivers. Useful players but also replaceable.

I know people don't love the D but I'm fine with seeing what they can do and feel Juulsen is being underrated now.

The bolded is relatively true. I think Aman probably slips through waivers easily enough. He's got literally zero offense to him at the NHL level and other teams out of camp will prefer their own guys get a look. Problem is...if they send him down to the berry Farm, the NHL club only has 4 NHL caliber Centers on it. That's a real problem if say...one of those 4 gets banged up for a game or two on a road trip or something. Double shift everyone else? Force someone who isn't a natural center at the NHL level to play there? How do you fill that critical role down the middle without calling someone up, which is cumbersome?

I do wonder about PDG though. Better than decent chance he clears, but he's a player Tocchet obviously likes and trusts. Would he do that to the guy, after he finally sorta "broke through" last year? Right back to being a journeyman mostly AHLer?

The other part though...everyone's just assuming we carry 8D. Which, given Soucy is injured half the time, Myers brain takes vacations, Forbort kinda sucks and can miss lots of time himself...isn't outlandish thinking.

But...looking at what we have and most are projecting, do we really need 2 spare RHD? I think Hronek-Myers-Desharnais is more solid than Hughes-Soucy-Forbort. And assuming Juulsen is kept around, they've already got a spare RHD.

Friedman is also the sort of player you could slip through waivers just like PDG and even if you lose him for some reason, oh well.

More importantly however, is looking at what we have in terms of available cheap depth down on the farm. Where we've actually got some potentially decent options this year.

-Wolanin is probably better anyway.
- Hirose has already played games.
-McWard is a guy they've talked up as expecting a lot from this year and gave a loooong look at last camp.
-Woo is probably ready for a Cup O' Coffee.
-"Gilliam" is an old standby if healthy, who can play a few games probably.
-D.Petey might even be ready for a look at some point.
-Felton...who knows with College dudes, but being an older NCAA guy he might be able to play a game earlier too.

So...there's actually a lot to draw from there. Including Friedman if you sent him down and don't lose him (which i really don't think you do).

So i'd actually lean toward an 14F - 7D Lineup, personally. Given what we have and everyone's status at this point. I think Aman and Podkolzin's waiver status kind of forces the hand a bit on things from a roster management standpoint.

I'm a little skeptical of the Sprong - Pettersson - DeBrusk thing, to be honest. It's very tempting, but if it were that easy, Sprong would have been a top sixer on other teams already. And while Pettersson and DeBrusk are strong defensively, it's not like they're Malhotra - Hansen or anything. Mikheyev and Pettersson still mightily struggled with covering for Kuzmenko's poor defense. Willing to try it initially anyways, though. I have concerns about someone with bad habits playing anywhere near Pettersson, too, since his own consistency can be so volatile.

Sprong - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Suter - Garland

All really good points imo. Agree with pretty much everything there. Except for kind of contradicting your one really good point about JT Miller as a matchup line and poor fit with Sprong...but penciling him in there anyway. :laugh: As well as looking at him as a Tanguay to anybody's anything. Tanguay was a legitimately top flight playmaker in his day - which Sprong is not. But otherwise, really astute observations all around.

I generally don't like Hoglander with Pettersson. It's such a bad fit, and was only ever necessary because Pettersson was playing so poorly and unable to do anything on his own. It reminds me of when Mason Raymond was the only viable option with late-career Sedins after the wheels fell off. You reluctantly accept it due to the circumstances where they just need absolutely anything to at least keep them in the offensive zone, but you hope for something more optimal for both parties. I also feel like DeBrusk's game already accomplishes the help that Pettersson needed from Hoglander without the drawbacks, so I really don't see why Hoglander is necessary there anymore.

You would have to completely give up on the Miller line being given high leverage defensive responsibilities if Sprong were on it, but I feel like the tradeoff of them potentially clicking offensively could be worth it, provided that the other two are able to at least saw off his defensive issues and break even. Again, it reminds me of the Tanguay effect on the Colorado top lines, where Tanguay himself was pretty abysmal defensively (but with those guys, it didn't really matter).

More really good observations.

That weird dynamic with Hoglander is why the Sprong signing seems to peculiar to me. They're very much "same same - but different" players. Both really a sort of, "wind 'em up on the 4th line and let 'em do their own thing and score their goals in those limited softer minutes". Which...maybe they do try to run something like that, put Suter between them and call it like, "Babby's First Scoring Line" or something. Give them baby poop soft leftover minutes for babies and hope they can just absolutely decimate them? Which is entirely possible if they mesh.

As above, i don't think Suter is this defensive whiz that he's painted as here for some reason. But he's smart and savvy enough to i think just sit back and play "3rd man high" to those two a lot and if they click, maybe that's good enough to keep it afloat defensively?

It's just a bit weird having slightly different duplicates of the same weird "4th line scoring winger with warts".

100% agree on the Pettersson + Hoggy thing though. I just don't like it. On paper, it should maybe work somehow. But on the ice, it just doesn't. Hoglander plays with zero continuity or flow and thrives in it. Whereas Pettersson's entire offensive game is predicated on clever puck control and possession and working to dangerous prime opportunities that way. It just doesn't mesh between them. I don't get what the fixation with continually trying to force that square peg into a round hole is about...other than...Hoglander scored a good number of goals (largely playing not with Pettersson) and they're both Swedish or something, so it's supposed to work like magic?

Reactions: Else Ermine

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So anyway...after the Sprong signing, my lines probably look something like:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
Podkolzin-Pettersson-DeBrusk
Joshua-Bluegers-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood
*PDG
*Aman

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais
*Juulsen

jokes aside though...i hope Podz gets his business back in order and that works. More likely he floats as spare man, Sprong slots in there with Petey-DeBrusk, and PDG gets kicked to the farm unfortunately. Though he can be a big help down there too.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Curios to see what training camp brings. Still hoping Pods cracks the lineup. On top of the 14 at puckipedia, we have Karlsson Raty Lekkerimaki Aman and Bains all wanting a spot, at the expense of PDG, hogs and Pods and maybe Sprong ...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks have a log-jam at forward with now Sprong coming on board. Something has to give, or a couple of very good players will end up on waivers.

And since Allvin is always loathe to lose assets for nothing, I'd be surprised if another trade isn't in the works. IMO they're still down a puck-moving d-man; and if their third-fourth line centers are Blueger and Suter, they're not going to get a ton of offense down the middle.

I wouldn't say it's a log jam as a handful of those players aren't everyday players on a contending team. It's depth more than anything. Players will be hurt. The 13th and 14th forwards will find their way into 40+ and 20+ games for instance. While the depth is certainly better compared to when Dim Jim left, it's still not fantastic.

That said while it may not be a log jam it might be sufficient to move a body and address an area with even less depth (blueline for instance). But a lot of this won't be hammered out in camp even, it's a first half of the season type thing where you find how everyone fits.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All really good points imo. Agree with pretty much everything there. Except for kind of contradicting your one really good point about JT Miller as a matchup line and poor fit with Sprong...but penciling him in there anyway. :laugh: As well as looking at him as a Tanguay to anybody's anything. Tanguay was a legitimately top flight playmaker in his day - which Sprong is not. But otherwise, really astute observations all around.
Hmm? I never said Sprong was a poor fit with Miller. I don't think his actual offensive style is similar to Tanguay at all, but I think his offense-defense ratio and potential effect/complement offensively with those two can maybe be similar (I always thought Tanguay's defensive game was almost non-existent those years, but it never mattered on those lines). I'm also not married with Miller necessarily needing to be the high leverage guy when the Garland line seems really capable of it, and depending on the third winger, the Pettersson line could turn into one as well. Lots of options in that regard. If Miller/Boeser's strong defensive ability instead gets utilized via making Sprong viable as a first liner (which is otherwise an insanely tall order, despite arguably having the offensive ability), that would be just as effective/worthwhile of a way to make use of it, IMO.

I think Sprong's typical (possibly optimal) deployment is odd like Hoglander's, but I also don't see him as the tunnel-vision one-man show type like him, necessarily-- he does seem to be able to complement other players offensively and function as an offensive catalyst of sorts for others. Seems like it's purely his defense that holds him back, not his inability to play with skilled guys (which is partly Hoglander's problem). Also, I dunno, even if their combined lack of defense didn't scare me like it does (I wouldn't be comfortable with Suter covering for both of them), I would have doubts that Hoglander + Sprong would mix well offensively.

Personally, I think it's either try to change/insulate Sprong into something top-six viable, trade Hoglander, live with Hoglander on the top six (it's not optimal, but he can still do it), or expect Sprong to be in Tocchet's dog-house and used as a 13th forward, in my eyes. Using both on the fourth line isn't something I'd bother looking at.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Interesting that they have Blueger as the 4C - guessing they think Suter is the 3C in this scenario?

Yeah as mentioned, I see it that way as well. As soon as Lindholm slotted in he bumped Blueger down to 4C, Suter similarly should be higher up the line-up so I think he’ll start with Joshua/Garland.

I think they’ll largely try to go with the playoff lineup plus the wing upgrades in the top six, DeBrusk and whoever those end up being in camp competition.

The bottom six in the playoffs was actually quite good.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I feel like we should avoid getting hung up defining a "top line" the way that we were deploying the top-9 at even strength last season. Don't see a problem with trying Sprong on Pettersson's right wing to see if we can get a bit more speed and rush going on that line, while also giving him someone with more natural finish that Mikheyev.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Hogs/Heinen - JTM - BB
Debrusk - EP - Sprong/Sherwood
DJ -Blue - Garly
Hogs/Heinen - Suter - Sprong/Sherwood
Pods
Aman

11 forwards that have scored 10 or more goals last season. 9 forwards that were on pace for 20 goals. No matter how you look at it on paper, that's a deep forward group. It's not realistic to think they will all hit that way but it's fun to imagine in the off-season

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I would also give Joshua a good long look with the top 2 lines and as the netfront presence on one of the PP units during the preseason. We know we can always fall back to Joshua/Garland wing pairing, but I would like to see if he can take another leap offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad