Confirmed with Link: Cangy Stepping Down as Play by Play Announcer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah I agree I was never a big cangi fan. I don’t want Matt doing the games he’s brutal. It’s crazy to think Matt is the last bastion of the sports channel days. Or was Chico around then too? I remember seeing Matt covering devils in like 93

Want a good trivia question who was the color guy for the year before Chico took over? I’m pretty sure it was for a year
Ah, I forgot there was one guy between McNab and Chico. Chico didn't take over the next year. It was Doug Sulliman, who I haven't even seen his name or heard it in possibly decades? I couldn't even think of his name for a couple minutes. I actually was calling him Doug Sullivan for a few minutes there. He was an assistant coach here for a few years before Lemaire took over the first time and he even played here in the 80's.

Matt at one point (along with Stan Fischler) was kind of like what I guess Erika is now? We didn't have a rinkside reporter back then, so Matt and Stan were like Erika and Bryce of today. They did the pre and post game and intermission coverage. The rinkside stuff (outside of post game on-ice interviews) didn't become a thing here until Lou was out.

I can't remember what year exactly Matt started working for us. I don't know if he goes back to the Sports Channel days. Was he on Sports Channel as an anchor for some sports show before he joined the Devils broadcasts? I don't even remember. I don't remember Matt being here for the 95 cup, but I can remember him shortly after that. I'm sure he didn't come too much later.

When did SportsChannel get bought out by Fox Sports? I'm thinking 96? Maybe 97? I remember Steve was an anchor for some sports show on either Fox Sports or maybe it was even SNY? That was back in the early 00's before he was with the Devils.

Matt would start to sub for Doc when he had prior obligations like calling a game for Fox or something, which Steve would go on to do later.

I think Matt was still the pre/post game and intermission guy up until 05-06 and then he was put on the radio permanently as the PBP guy, where he's been ever since, save for a few fill-in's for Steve as the TV play by play guy. Steve was then put in his spot (Matt and the Maven became Steve and Dano at some point in the late 00's) and he would be the one to sub for Doc when he had national broadcast obligations.

There was a while where Steve and Dano were the Erika and Bryce of the broadcast while Doc and Chico had the call. Then Steve was promoted to take over for Doc full time and they brought in Deb Placey to take over for that spot Steve left behind and eventually Dano took over for Chico, who had initially retired and wanted to be back in Minnesota to spend time with his wife's sister (I think it was? Or his wife's mother?) who was in poor health. After she had passed away and then the radio spot became open after they canned Sherry Ross, he came back to do that.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I really liked Math's PBP when he did it against the Lightning.

Here are the goal calls. He really isn't as bad as people portray him to be here imo:

Rango: 28:58
Mercer: 1:37:27
Vesey: 1:45:23
Rango: 1:51:42
Tatar: 2:09:55

His call on Tatar's ENG is a great example of why he shouldn't be an NHL pbp guy lol

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Someone on Reddit posted this:

Laughlin replaces Cangy
Sal behind the bench as an assistant
PK takes Sal’s role

I wouldn’t mind this

• Love
Reactions: glenwo2

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Ah, I forgot there was one guy between McNab and Chico. Chico didn't take over the next year. It was Doug Sulliman, who I haven't even seen his name or heard it in possibly decades? I couldn't even think of his name for a couple minutes. I actually was calling him Doug Sullivan for a few minutes there. He was an assistant coach here for a few years before Lemaire took over the first time and he even played here in the 80's.

Matt at one point (along with Stan Fischler) was kind of like what I guess Erika is now? We didn't have a rinkside reporter back then, so Matt and Stan were like Erika and Bryce of today. They did the pre and post game and intermission coverage. The rinkside stuff (outside of post game on-ice interviews) didn't become a thing here until Lou was out.

I can't remember what year exactly Matt started working for us. I don't know if he goes back to the Sports Channel days. Was he on Sports Channel as an anchor for some sports show before he joined the Devils broadcasts? I don't even remember. I don't remember Matt being here for the 95 cup, but I can remember him shortly after that. I'm sure he didn't come too much later.

When did SportsChannel get bought out by Fox Sports? I'm thinking 96? Maybe 97? I remember Steve was an anchor for some sports show on either Fox Sports or maybe it was even SNY? That was back in the early 00's before he was with the Devils.

Matt would start to sub for Doc when he had prior obligations like calling a game for Fox or something, which Steve would go on to do later.

I think Matt was still the pre/post game and intermission guy up until 05-06 and then he was put on the radio permanently as the PBP guy, where he's been ever since, save for a few fill-in's for Steve as the TV play by play guy. Steve was then put in his spot (Matt and the Maven became Steve and Dano at some point in the late 00's) and he would be the one to sub for Doc when he had national broadcast obligations.

There was a while where Steve and Dano were the Erika and Bryce of the broadcast while Doc and Chico had the call. Then Steve was promoted to take over for Doc full time and they brought in Deb Placey to take over for that spot Steve left behind and eventually Dano took over for Chico, who had initially retired and wanted to be back in Minnesota to spend time with his wife's sister (I think it was? Or his wife's mother?) who was in poor health. After she had passed away and then the radio spot became open after they canned Sherry Ross, he came back to do that.

Lol I thought his name was doug Sullivan too thanks. You forgot deb placey and dano was the Erika and sal of today.

It’s funny Matt and the maven was ahead of it’s time by years if that’s was around today it would’ve been a good podcast. Matt was def around I could’ve sworn I remember him covering the cup parade in 95.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
A good job I feel for Matt would’ve been in arena host. Like someone mentioned he loves the team but I don’t think he’s good enough for play by play. Then again cangi I don’t think was good at all for play by play when he started.

Matt would’ve been a great host for that short lived msg hockey show on Saturday nights.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Damn, didn't expect this at all. My friends and I have a running joke from watching a game at a bar where the closed captions were on and were just completely terrible, and one of the things that came up was someone referring to Cangy as "KC Steve". We built a whole narrative around him having a secret identity as "Kansas City Cangelosi", a pool hall shark traveling the continent and parting rubes from their hard earned dollars before drifting to the next town.

For those wondering about Gary Thorne, he was with the Mets first years, first on radio (including during the '86 championship season) and then as the play by play guy for games the Mets played on WWOR 9 on TV. It was believed he left in large part because they wanted him to commit more but he was still focusing on the NHL, too. The Mets current play by play guy is the great Gary Cohen, but Gary missed a few games last season and Thorne sat in for him seemingly out of nowhere for a fun blast from the past. Oddly enough, when the Mets were on MSG/Fox Sports Net right before SNY was a thing, their field reporter the booth would throw it to during games? Matt Laughlin.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
1652836464510.gif

For old time’s sake.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Damn, didn't expect this at all. My friends and I have a running joke from watching a game at a bar where the closed captions were on and were just completely terrible, and one of the things that came up was someone referring to Cangy as "KC Steve". We built a whole narrative around him having a secret identity as "Kansas City Cangelosi", a pool hall shark traveling the continent and parting rubes from their hard earned dollars before drifting to the next town.

For those wondering about Gary Thorne, he was with the Mets first years, first on radio (including during the '86 championship season) and then as the play by play guy for games the Mets played on WWOR 9 on TV. It was believed he left in large part because they wanted him to commit more but he was still focusing on the NHL, too. The Mets current play by play guy is the great Gary Cohen, but Gary missed a few games last season and Thorne sat in for him seemingly out of nowhere for a fun blast from the past. Oddly enough, when the Mets were on MSG/Fox Sports Net right before SNY was a thing, their field reporter the booth would throw it to during games? Matt Laughlin.
Man it’s really remarkable that throne had such a role in this market then poof was gone. Man he had to be better the. Howie calling those games

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
No one could ever replace "Doc" and Steve never tried. He has done a good job for the past many years. Best wishes Steve, glad you are still with your fav, the Bulls.

So who takes over ?

Reactions: glenwo2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad