GDT: Canes@Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Why do you think that Jarvis is in a slump? He scored 40 points last year, has 33 so far this year. Despite all the adulation, all indications are that he is just a 40 point scorer. And that is playing pretty exclusively with the best player on the team, why do people think he can do more? Having a 40 point scorer playing with Aho has probably also kept Fishy’s numbers down.

TT, now that’s a slumping dude, has shown that he can be a 70-80 point scorer on a 38 point pace. Although, I don’t understand why he didn’t get an assist on Necas’ tying goal, it looked like he passed the puck directly to Marty.
Didn’t TT play his offside during his high scoring seasons on the SAT line? I thought he had said I an interview at one point that he prefers his offside. He also typically racks up points on the PP and I believe his PP time is down this season. Hasn’t he been on the 2nd unit most of the season?

I thought that was a sweet ass pass from TT to Necas last night, he literally looked right at him before making the pass.

I’m one of TT’s biggest fans so take this with a grain of biased salt. But I think there’s only 3 forwards on this roster who think and process the game like TT, that’s Aho, Svech and Necas. Take TT away from Aho particularly and his numbers drop, Aho is skilled enough to make up for it TT isn’t. When it comes to offense TT is a set up guy, don’t give him anyone to set up and his numbers will plummet.

IMO Jarvis needs quite a bit of work to become the 1st line winger that Aho needs. But Rod is going to force that pairing until something gives.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Why do you think that Jarvis is in a slump? He scored 40 points last year, has 33 so far this year. Despite all the adulation, all indications are that he is just a 40 point scorer. And that is playing pretty exclusively with the best player on the team, why do people think he can do more? Having a 40 point scorer playing with Aho has probably also kept Fishy’s numbers down.

TT, now that’s a slumping dude, has shown that he can be a 70-80 point scorer on a 38 point pace. Although, I don’t understand why he didn’t get an assist on Necas’ tying goal, it looked like he passed the puck directly to Marty.
If Jarvis truly is a 40 point player at most, and the front office thinks so too, then Jarvis shouldn't have been untouchable for Meier; his affordable ELC (for only 1 more season too) isn't enough to offset the benefits of trading him for a good return (Meier, Horvat, etc.) IMO. The same should be said for any potential future trade(s) for a top 6 forward that improves our goal scoring/points (whoever that might be; EP in the long shot he becomes available comes to mind). Btw, Meier currently has 34 goals this season, and that's just 1 behind his career record of 35 (he would've reached it by now if he wasn't injured for about 2 weeks). He's gonna have two seasons in a row of scoring 35+ goals.

It's even more appropriate we trade Jarvis if he's a 40 point player at most given TT's very lackluster season. We can't have both of them, and worst case scenario, KK going back to being over-slotted/underperforming for a 2C, all in our top 6.

2-3 meh to disappointing players in our top 6 won't cut it long term. Which is why we've had offensive/goal scoring problems from our forwards this season at different points since Aho, Necas, and Svech aren't going to/won't be able to carry the forwards every single game. It especially would be a problem in the playoffs as we've seen such goal scoring woes in the past.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If Jarvis truly is a 40 point player at most, and the front office thinks so too, then Jarvis shouldn't have been untouchable for Meier; his affordable ELC isn't enough to offset the benefits of trading him for a good return (Meier, Horvat, etc.) IMO. The same should be said for any potential future trade(s) for a top 6 forward that improves our goal scoring/points (whoever that might be; EP in the long shot he becomes available comes to mind). Btw, Meier currently has 34 goals this season, and that's just 1 behind his career record of 35 (he would've reached it by now if he wasn't injured for about 2 weeks). He's gonna have two seasons in a row of scoring 35+ goals.

It's even more appropriate we trade Jarvis if he's a 40 point player at most given TT's very lackluster season. We can't have both of them, and worst case scenario, KK going back to being over-slotted for a 2C, all in our top 6.

2-3 meh to disappointing players in our top 6 won't cut it long term. Which is why we've had offensive/goal scoring problems from our forwards this season at different points since Aho, Necas, and Svech aren't going to/won't be able to carry the forwards every single game. It especially would be a problem in the playoffs as we've seen such goal scoring woes in the past.
Its far too early in Jarvis’ career to make assumptions that he is a 40 point player.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Its far too early in Jarvis’ career to make assumptions that he is a 40 point player.
I thought before, and still would like to believe, that Jarvis is more than a 40 point player. I certainly hope so because otherwise it's gonna hurt that we kept Jarvis this year's trade deadline instead of selling him while his value was so high.

I believe our front office thinks Jarvis is more than a 40 point player though. Otherwise, they would've been willing to trade Jarvis for Meier.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Didn’t TT play his offside during his high scoring seasons on the SAT line? I thought he had said I an interview at one point that he prefers his offside. He also typically racks up points on the PP and I believe his PP time is down this season. Hasn’t he been on the 2nd unit most of the season?

I thought that was a sweet ass pass from TT to Necas last night, he literally looked right at him before making the pass.

I’m one of TT’s biggest fans so take this with a grain of biased salt. But I think there’s only 3 forwards on this roster who think and process the game like TT, that’s Aho, Svech and Necas. Take TT away from Aho particularly and his numbers drop, Aho is skilled enough to make up for it TT isn’t. When it comes to offense TT is a set up guy, don’t give him anyone to set up and his numbers will plummet.

IMO Jarvis needs quite a bit of work to become the 1st line winger that Aho needs. But Rod is going to force that pairing until something gives.
I completely agree with you. I was a TT fan back when he was a Blackhawk, his ‘trade’ to the canes triggered me to dump the Blackhawks and become a canes fan. The Necas goal last night went down as unassisted, maybe that’s why his numbers are down!

in hindsight, I believe keeping Jarvis with Aho has had a negative impact on Aho’s numbers. I agree that TiVo needs some ‘thinkers’ to play with because he is a step ahead of most. The only thing I might question is that I don’t think Necas is there yet, he’s had a spectacular bounce back year, but still gives up the puck a lot in the offensive zone. He looks too much at what HE can do and doesn’t look to his teammates to help him out until he gets backed into a corner, often it’s too late and that’s when he gives up the puck. Thats not meant to disparage him, but to point out that as he improves, he will be even better. Next year I really expect Necas to lead the team in scoring by 15-20 points.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I see enough in Jarvis to believe he's capable of well more than 40 points regularly. I think he's not fully ready for the role he's been playing but it might serve him well in the long run.

Reactions: cptjeff

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Speaking of Necas, we really need to give the kid so much credit. Last season he had a disappointing season, but he's put that in the rear view mirror with this truly incredible season this year; he's also had VERY clutch goals including last night. I think he's grown into the player we expected he would be.

There's still room for improvement for him (like turnovers), but he's been one of the few forwards we have been able to rely on this season.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
I thought before, and still would like to believe, that Jarvis is more than a 40 point player. I certainly hope so because otherwise it's gonna hurt that we kept Jarvis this year's trade deadline instead of selling him while his value was so high.

I believe our front office thinks Jarvis is more than a 40 point player though. Otherwise, they would've been willing to trade Jarvis for Meier.
I would also like to believe that Jarvis is more than a 40 point scorer, and there certainly is a lot of front office love for Jarvis, but I just don’t realistically see it.

He’s played 2 years next to our best player and has shown us 40 points a year. You gotta love the guy, he hustles, plays much bigger than he is and goes to all the dirty laces on the ice. Lovable as hell, did you see the video of the team picture, he got TiVo to laugh.

He has great hands, great hockey IQ, good skater and doesn’t back down to anybody. But he is still undersized, gets pushed off the puck too easily and doesn’t have a particularly good shot. To improve, he has to get better at some of these things, maybe the FO thinks he can put on 25 pounds of muscle, that could be a game changer but I haven’t seen it yet.

Compare That to a Mart6 Necas who made big strides this year, but still has obvious room to improve. I would expect that next year, no matter how much Jarvis improves, Necas will improve twice as much. Necas has the skillz.

At least that’s my opinion, and I once had the opinion that Scott Darling would be our goalie for years to come. 🧂 🧂 🧂

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I don't see any obvious flaws in Jarvis' game other than he's easy to push around. Not his fault. Best guess by me is that maybe he's a better perimeter type "shoot first" winger than the power winger-light type of game he's playing. I applaud the kid for going to the dirty areas but maybe its wasting his best attribute - speed. He's got good offensive instincts. let him play on a line with Necas for more than a few games. See if these guys gel. Some serious speed on the wings.

Personally, I would reunite Aho with TT. Have Noesen play LW on this line.
Jarvis-KK-Necas is the 2nd line.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
To me the biggest flaws in Jarvis’s game, other than his size, sometimes he’s kind of slow to get his shot off and he’s similar to Necas in that he gets tunnel vision. When it comes to the tunnel vision I think that’s how the coaches want him to play. He’s definitely a shoot first type player, and this team needs that. Hopefully the shots start going in.

Reactions: moses malone 12

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
You don't give away young players who show consistent flashes of offensive dominance. Especially small ones.

Jack Hughes is the poster child for this. 52 points in his first 117 games. Yet he always dripped offensive talent where anyone who watched him said "he is going to put it together". Jarvis has 73 points in his first 136 games with a very similar profile - albeit much less pedigree as a prospect.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don't see any obvious flaws in Jarvis' game other than he's easy to push around. Not his fault. Best guess by me is that maybe he's a better perimeter type "shoot first" winger than the power winger-light type of game he's playing. I applaud the kid for going to the dirty areas but maybe its wasting his best attribute - speed. He's got good offensive instincts. let him play on a line with Necas for more than a few games. See if these guys gel. Some serious speed on the wings.

Personally, I would reunite Aho with TT. Have Noesen play LW on this line.
Jarvis-KK-Necas is the 2nd line.
ill preface by saying, im not saying he is this player or could perform at his level. He needs to learn to play as a small guy like Point. Work on his skating to be able to generate separation and turn on a dime. he is only 21 and still have plenty of growth so, im not worried that he will be a 40 point player at all.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
You don't give away young players who show consistent flashes of offensive dominance. Especially small ones.

Jack Hughes is the poster child for this. 52 points in his first 117 games. Yet he always dripped offensive talent where anyone who watched him said "he is going to put it together". Jarvis has 73 points in his first 136 games with a very similar profile - albeit much less pedigree as a prospect.
I know you’re high on Jarvis, but other than having somewhat similar point production in their first two seasons there is absolutely nothing to indicate that he will ever come close to Jack Hughes level of play. Jack Hughes is a top 10 center, and probably top 20 player overall in the NHL.

If he develops into 1/2 of a Jack Hughes it would be a success.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I know you’re high on Jarvis, but other than having somewhat similar point production in their first two seasons there is absolutely nothing to indicate that he will ever come close to Jack Hughes level of play. Jack Hughes is a top 10 center, and probably top 20 player overall in the NHL.

If he develops into 1/2 of a Jack Hughes it would be a success.

He’d be so short!

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Speaking of Hughes, New Jersey fans in their topic kept complaining about how he hasn't been the same since his injury, and Bratt has been invisible. So, they're also having concerns about their top 6, and they have the pitchforks out for Severson, a defenseman. So many of them don't want to re-sign Severson.

Lindy Ruff even moved Meier to the 3rd line. Yikes.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Speaking of Hughes, New Jersey fans in their topic kept complaining about how he hasn't been the same since his injury, and Bratt has been invisible. So, they're also having concerns about their top 6, and they have the pitchforks out for Severson, a defenseman. So many of them don't want to re-sign Severson.

Lindy Ruff even moved Meier to the 3rd line. Yikes.

But they're gonna put it all together and go a lot farther than us, because of ya know, the TDL thing.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Jarvis plus Morrow (cuz he isn't signing I bet) for Laine.
Who's with me!!
No. For Pettersson or Keller (if either became available)? Yes, sounds great. Those are two incredible forwards, and I'd certainly prefer the centerman with 86 points this season at the moment.

Although if we trade for EP, we probably trade KK instead of having him as the 4C, and I'm guessing with either Jarvis or Nikishin heading to Vancouver. KK + Morrow would be ideal, but it probably wouldn't be enough even with extra draft pick(s).

But they're gonna put it all together and go a lot farther than us, because of ya know, the TDL thing.
Personally, with the east being such a competitive blood bath, I've been more worried about Boston, NYR, and Tampa than New Jersey. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto actually gets out of the 1st round this season with how many trades they made, and for good players. Plus at least Toronto actually has playoff experience compared to New Jersey's young stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaz4hockey

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I see enough in Jarvis to believe he's capable of well more than 40 points regularly. I think he's not fully ready for the role he's been playing but it might serve him well in the long run.
He can easily be a 50-point+ player but it depends on his usage. I agree that his time on the first line is actually not fostering his growth. Why? Because of the roster configuration, he is being asked to play a role that is not ideal for him regardless of playing beside Aho. He has settled into a forechecking role that supported getting Svech and Aho freed up in the slot. He needs to room to operate and can't create it on his own like a Necas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad