GDT: Canes@Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Regarding the "quasi-funk"

Last 10 games; 6-4-0

NJ: 5-3-2
NY: 7-2-1
BOS: 7-3-0
TOR: 6-3-1
TBL. 5-3-2

don't get me wrong, the team isn't playing as well as they were playing when they were 9-1-0, but all teams are playing at a similar winning % now. It's the dog days and I think all teams are dealing with it.
If there is any stink in this team, Id rather them let it out here in March than next month.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Couple of notes.

I like how ESPN clock started before the puck dropped. Good job, ESPN.

I used to, not hate but really not like that song. I was 9 when Titanic (and that song) came out, and my God that damn song was everywhere. Now? Maybe its 90s nostalgia but I've grown to appreciate the song. Celine Dion was gifted with an incredible voice.
At the height of that songs fame and I being a probably 12-14 year old I thought it was the absolute worst, I took in a game at the Molson Center in Montreal and they trotted her out unannounced and 20,000+ people lost their f***ing minds while I pouted in my seat like the child I was.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, and to not diminish the meaning of it, this is the type of spark we can seize upon to get us out of this quasi-funk we've been in. The Flyers arent the Bruins but being able to pull a "W" from the jaws of defeat against any team - and on the road - can have seismic impacts going forward. Thinking short-term, this is what we needed after last night in Toronto.
Maybe I'm reading things into it, but Aho sure celebrated the OT goal like the season had just been saved.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe I'm reading things into it, but Aho sure celebrated the OT goal like the season had just been saved.
The game went in such ways that celebrating the W was warranted.

I also would believe that a hockey player feels that the audience expect a proper celebration when a hatter happens, so that may have a subcobscious effect during those microseconds after the player realizes it went in.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014

Two guys were in a movie theater.

- I bet you ten bucks that in next scene John Wayne gets ambushed by the Indians in the pass.
- You're on.

Sure enough, exactly this happens in the next scene.

After the film the guy that won the bet has second thoughts.

- You know, I gotta be honest, I had seen the film before. Here's your ten bucks back.
- No, you keep it. I had seen it before too.
- But... why the hell did you make the bet then!
- I didn't think he was stupid enough to fall for it twice.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Not trying to get ahead of myself but this really feels like a night we could look back on if we take the division and make a run.

Also,
Twitter at its finest here lol:

Aha,( Aho ) moments have to happen at some point when a reckoning starts… dare we hope?

Reactions: zman77

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Put Skjei in the top 6.
With our goal scoring woes from our forwards, it's really looking like re-signing Skjei is a must next summer. Gonna be tough trying to re-sign everyone in 2024.
That's it? 5 min to go in the 3rd, one team with 3 powerplays, the other with none, and that's what you call for a 4th pp? Lol
Two games in a row of having refs that look like they don't belong above the pee wee level. Objectively awful. There is so much to criticize with how they officiated last night.
First PP, 7 seconds left.
The refs way of pretending they were fair and objective, and almost like they were saying, "here Rod, we'll give you your first power play; try scoring with 7 seconds left ;). Wait, they actually scored with .3 seconds left? You weren't supposed to do that!! :mad:"

Team f***ed up a lot but the refs were a god damned disgrace today
A double whammy. Andersen was f***ing brutal with that turnover behind the net (after Pyotr's awful turnover behind the net recently too!). Our goalies right now are concerning with how they've played recently. Also, the odd-man rushes kept killing us last night; it'd be nice if we started to have a goalie that stopped those odd-man rushes a lot. However, we can't seem to get a goalie to steal a game for us anymore.

Lol.

Thanks Florida for beating New Jersey.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
It's funny, I looked at the Devils GDT yesterday and it wasn't that different from ours until the last .2 seconds of the game. Due to recent play there was harsh criticism of certain players and the coach, doomsday pessimism, etc. Several posters are sure that NJ has no chance of getting out of the first round, lol.

An observation with regard to the Canes "playing down to the competition": I played in the last 3 HFB Pickem games and most of my 9 losses were from picking top half teams, at home, against the bottom 20% of the league (never got to picking the Canes). Very small sample size, but it opened me up to the feeling that this is more of a generic issue than one specific to the Canes.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Aho and Necas need to keep up the good work and basically carry the team offensively the rest of the year without Svech and Pacioretty (with some solid production from KK). Aho played like a super star last night with his hat trick; OUR 30+ goal super star. Aho just needs to be a little more consistent.

It'd be nice if TT and Jarvis got out of their slumps, but I'm not getting my hopes up; particularly with TT. TT needs to either do well in the playoffs, or at the very least, have a good rebound year next season similar to Necas (this year) in order for me to want him to be re-signed in the summer of '24.

Having two really bad seasons points wise in a row, and with him turning 29 years old this September? It's safe to say that it's unlikely the front office would be thrilled about re-signing him next summer in such a scenario; even more so with so many other contracts ending/pay raises in the same summer.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Regarding the "quasi-funk"

Last 10 games; 6-4-0

NJ: 5-3-2
NY: 7-2-1
BOS: 7-3-0
TOR: 6-3-1
TBL. 5-3-2

don't get me wrong, the team isn't playing as well as they were playing when they were 9-1-0, but all teams are playing at a similar winning % now. It's the dog days and I think all teams are dealing with it.

counterpoint:

Just like Montreal, Ariz, Philly, and EVEN Chicago the Canes have lost 100% of the games they didn't win. Something they need to fix going into the playoffs.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Aho and Necas need to keep up the good work and basically carry the team offensively the rest of the year without Svech and Pacioretty (with some solid production from KK). Aho played like a super star last night with his hat trick; OUR 30+ goal super star. Aho just needs to be a little more consistent.

It'd be nice if TT and Jarvis got out of their slumps, but I'm not getting my hopes up; particularly with TT. TT needs to either do well in the playoffs, or at the very least, have a good rebound year next season similar to Necas (this year) in order for me to want him to be re-signed in the summer of '24.

Having two really bad seasons points wise in a row, and with him turning 29 years old this September? It's safe to say that it's unlikely the front office would be thrilled about re-signing him next summer in such a scenario; even more so with so many other contracts ending/pay raises in the same summer.
Why do you think that Jarvis is in a slump? He scored 40 points last year, has 33 so far this year. Despite all the adulation, all indications are that he is just a 40 point scorer. And that is playing pretty exclusively with the best player on the team, why do people think he can do more? Having a 40 point scorer playing with Aho has probably also kept Fishy’s numbers down.

TT, now that’s a slumping dude, has shown that he can be a 70-80 point scorer on a 38 point pace. Although, I don’t understand why he didn’t get an assist on Necas’ tying goal, it looked like he passed the puck directly to Marty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad