Seravalli: Canes discussing long term deal with Kotkaniemi, Canes want 8 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Canes flat-out won the offer sheet in terms of value. IMO out of all of the questionable Bergevin moves, not matching the KK RFA contract was by far the worst of the bunch. A late 1st and a 3rd is laughably low asset value for a 21 year old center drafted #3 overall who was already in the NHL.
I don't see how you can massage the draft position into his value last off-season. Bergevin drafted for position out of desperation and all that jazz.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's not Kotkaniemi that wants eight years... It's Carolina that wants it?

This doesn't make any sense.
I feel like the canes have been about the underpay over a long term deal train for a while, is why the aho oversheet happened in the first place . Over 8 for kotka I can't see them offering an aav he would accept yet tho

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Recent second and third line forwards who signed for 7 or 8 years as RFAs:
  • Alex Killorn... $4.45m x 8y when the cap was at $71.5m
  • Tyler Johnson... $5m x 7y when the cap was at $73m
  • Viktor Arvidsson... $4.25m x 7y when the cap was at $73m
  • Alex Tuch... $4.75m x 7y when the cap was at 79.5m
  • Colton Sissons... $2.9m x 7y when the cap was at $81.5m
Cap goes up to $82.5m, figure that they see Kotkaniemi as Staal's heir at 2C, so after some arbitrary math, I'll guess we'll end up within a couple hundred thousand dollars AAV of either

$4.75m x 8y
$5.4m x 7y
That makes sense, but Canes would want to also massage in how he already got a few mil extra (that was a necessity for the offer sheeting rather than his value as a player).

Something like 4.25m x 8y?

If the rumor is correct, they are talking now, so maybe we'll see soon...

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Problem is if Bergevin match, Kotkaniemi could not be traded for a calendar year. So you have a UFA contract and you are unable to trade it, if you don't agree on an extension.
IIUC, walking to UFA status next season is just one of the outcomes of abritration, in this (OS) case. Depends on if it's team elected or player elected arbitration, and which side rejects the QO, and whatnot; there's also an outcome where the player ends up RFA without a contract and can be traded for assets. (Or the extension talks start anew, obviously.)

@Lempo can you clarify this stuff?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I should have used caps but in finance we use MM to represent millions, can also be thousands depending on your industry, or millimetres. Crazy web we weave pal.
Just when I posted that, I remembered seeing that in metals trade. M for thousands, MM for millions, sort of a Roman numerals thing. This was particularly in USA and appeared in somewhat older documentation, but maybe it's still used there too.

I've also seen an attempt in the ship design industry to replace tonnes/tons with Gg for gigagram. Technically correct according to the SI system and very modern but somehow just... wrong. :laugh: Crazy web indeed...

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
8 years - 6 mil per year.....KK's agent is a genius
Why 6 mil per year? An extension (without the arbitration process) doesn't need to have anything to do with the figure in the OS. Granted, in that case his agent would be a genius, borderline magician.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Sorry to derail the conversation, but who was it that got a long term deal at like, 2 million per recently? Driving me nuts that I can't remember.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
IIUC, walking to UFA status next season is just one of the outcomes of abritration, in this (OS) case. Depends on if it's team elected or player elected arbitration, and which side rejects the QO, and whatnot; there's also an outcome where the player ends up RFA without a contract and can be traded for assets. (Or the extension talks start anew, obviously.)

@Lempo can you clarify this stuff?
Kotkaniemi pretty much guaranteed himself 11.4 M$ (or a more valuable long term contract) over this season and next or UFA status. The Canes still have leverage to trade him if they can't agree on an extension but there is an other team want him at negotiated conditions or if they want the arbitration deal to come. Habs were screwed with the move as they can't trade a player that probably wants out and won't accept a lesser dealfor the next years. We could see that tactic happen more often as it obviously worked this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad