Seravalli: Canes discussing long term deal with Kotkaniemi, Canes want 8 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Carolina is such a frugal and well structured cap team that this move makes absolute sense to gamble on.

Almost every team has a bad contract or an anchor, Carolina doesn’t have that. So might as well gamble on KK. If it’s a 3-4 x 8m deal it’s well worth the gamble.

Worse case scenario you’re Overpaying a 2.5m player .5-1.5m. Well, maybe not WORSE case but you get the drift.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I've also seen an attempt in the ship design industry to replace tonnes/tons with Gg for gigagram. Technically correct according to the SI system and very modern but somehow just... wrong. :laugh: Crazy web indeed...

Wait, what? Gigagram? Wouldn't a ton be a Megagram? A thousand grams is a Kilogram, a thousand kilograms is a (metric)ton. A thousand times a thousand comes out to a million i.e. Mega. Giga is used now for billion so a Gigagram would be a thousand tons or a kiloton.

I work in a filed where large masses of materials are used.

Brixton

Jul 16, 2021
Your obsession with Habs fans is embarrassing, most could care less and many will be happy for KK. We didn’t think he was going to sign with us this off-season.
Hey aren’t you the same clown that said Buff played a year after Chiarot went to montreal and then disappear when I called you out and proved you wrong? Your record of being constantly wrong is still in tack. Lake a look at some of the Habs fans heads exploding that have already made posts in here. Hilarious that you talk about being embarrassed when yo have obviously made a career if it.

Reactions: Price is Wright

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Carolina is such a frugal and well structured cap team that this move makes absolute sense to gamble on.

Almost every team has a bad contract or an anchor, Carolina doesn’t have that. So might as well gamble on KK. If it’s a 3-4 x 8m deal it’s well worth the gamble.

Worse case scenario you’re Overpaying a 2.5m player .5-1.5m. Well, maybe not WORSE case but you get the drift.

Dundon-era Canes are a prime example of frugal but not cheap. Ever since they acquired Dougie Hamilton and made the ECF back in 2018-2019, they've spent to the salary cap every single season.

Reactions: Tryamw

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
At the end of Kotkaniemi's career we will all look back and say, "how on earth did he earn that much.!?!?"

Hell, I'm already saying it.

Reactions: Peter Puck

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Just when I posted that, I remembered seeing that in metals trade. M for thousands, MM for millions, sort of a Roman numerals thing. This was particularly in USA and appeared in somewhat older documentation, but maybe it's still used there too.

I've also seen an attempt in the ship design industry to replace tonnes/tons with Gg for gigagram. Technically correct according to the SI system and very modern but somehow just... wrong. :laugh: Crazy web indeed...

Not to threadjack too much, but for others' enlightenment, MM is leftover/shorthand from Roman numerals

M=1000
MM = 1000 x 1000 = 1 million

Anyway, 8 x 4-4.5MM isn't outrageous. He might earn more annually on a shorter term contract but then get hurt/not be worth it when it comes time to resign. In that case career earnings go way down. Or he may turn into an absolute stud in which case career earnings would be much higher. This seems to spread the risk/reward out through both the player & the team - and anyway you look at it, 32+MM is not money to look down your nose at.

Reactions: Stubu

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Hey aren’t you the same clown that said Buff played a year after Chiarot went to montreal and then disappear when I called you out and proved you wrong? Your record of being constantly wrong is still in tack. Lake a look at some of the Habs fans heads exploding that have already made posts in here. Hilarious that you talk about being embarrassed when yo have obviously made a career if it.
Is that the time I pointed out Buff refused to report to Jets camps 2 months after Chiarot had signed in Montreal and you went off into Make-Believe-Land? I see no heads exploding in this thread

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Getting a 8 year contract right after being paid 6.1 M for a year when he hasn't hit 30 pts in the past 3 seasons and hasn't shown that he's more than just a 3rd liner Wow

Kotkaniemi should tip his agent a million dollars. Well deserved tip

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sorry to derail the conversation, but who was it that got a long term deal at like, 2 million per recently? Driving me nuts that I can't remember.

Jarnkrok would be my guess in terms of the player you're searching for, especially since once upon a time he was a Wings prospect. Was just six but seems to fit the bill, Nashville did a couple of those.

It all depends on the deal the Canes get in terms of how I feel about this. I don't really believe in offering this kind of term to a player at his level, but it really depends on what the actual deal is, so I reserve judgement until then.

Reactions: Chrispy

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Jarnkrok would be my guess in terms of the player you're searching for, especially since once upon a time he was a Wings prospect. Was just six but seems to fit the bill, Nashville did a couple of those.

It all depends on the deal the Canes get in terms of how I feel about this. I don't really believe in offering this kind of term to a player at his level, but it really depends on what the actual deal is, so I reserve judgement until then.

It was actually both Jarnkrok and Sissons, signed by Poile to 6 and 7 year contracts, respectively.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's shown well when he's moved up the lineup due to injury right?
That's a bingo. When Koko was in our defacto top 6 when half the team seemingly had Covid he really broke out when he had the chance to play with better linemates. I mean yeah, right now he's not putting up numbers... he's also typically playing between Lorentz and Martinook. When that changes to between Necas (despite his own slump) and Jarvis/Nino and his ice time doubles that changes the equation quite a bit.

Honestly there's a chance that this could work out nicely. There's also a chance it could turn out to be Victor Rask 2.0 right down to the skating issues, it's a gamble whichever way this goes.

Last edited:

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Can someone clue me in on what EXACTLY do people see in him presently to project his performance over EIGHT years?

He's still streaky as hell. Has no points in his last six games and two in his last eleven. He gets as much ice time as a 4th liner. He is FIFTH on his team in terms of faceoffs taken. He never plays on the PK.

He's still young... yet there are a dozen players younger than him who have taken more faceoffs as "true" centers this year.

So what is his role going to be over the next eight years... are they hoping he magically progresses to a level he's never done in the last three years so that he becomes a 2nd C? Are they planning on using him as a 3rd line C that won't be trusted for defensive duties or for killing penalties?

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Apparently Kotkaniemi is the biggest sleeper in hockey history or Carolina LOVES being the class clown in the NHL

something that used to be Marc Bergevins job.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I can see why Carolina would want an 8 year deal, but I would insist it being signed in blood.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Getting a 8 year contract right after being paid 6.1 M for a year when he hasn't hit 30 pts in the past 3 seasons and hasn't shown that he's more than just a 3rd liner Wow

Kotkaniemi should tip his agent a million dollars. Well deserved tip

Note that Seravalli didn't predict anything about the AAV.

Why not give a 3rd liner a 8 yr deal if he's young and has upside?

Reactions: DaveG

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
I think people forget how young he is because he was chucked in at the deep end so quickly. He's the same age as the likes of Dylan Cozens. Had his development not been hit by expecting him to be a top 6 C instantly, this would have been the type of season he'd have been having at 19. On pace for 35-40 points playing down the roster at times. He'll turn into a solid 40-50 point player so trying to sign him on a deal for 8 years could be great.

Under $5m per year and it'll look a good contract in 2-3 years.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Wait, what? Gigagram? Wouldn't a ton be a Megagram? A thousand grams is a Kilogram, a thousand kilograms is a (metric)ton. A thousand times a thousand comes out to a million i.e. Mega. Giga is used now for billion so a Gigagram would be a thousand tons or a kiloton.

I work in a filed where large masses of materials are used.
Yes, this was thousands of tonnes, for very large ships in the 10 000t+ class. Sorry I was a bit unclear about it.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Kotkaniemi pretty much guaranteed himself 11.4 M$ (or a more valuable long term contract) over this season and next or UFA status. The Canes still have leverage to trade him if they can't agree on an extension but there is an other team want him at negotiated conditions or if they want the arbitration deal to come. Habs were screwed with the move as they can't trade a player that probably wants out and won't accept a lesser dealfor the next years. We could see that tactic happen more often as it obviously worked this time.
No, those two aren't the only outcomes of arbitration, that was my point.

Let's hope someone who actually knows lays it out. (I really don't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad