Rumor: Canes and Preds talking large deal around Saros and Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Trading a 25 y/o top 6 winger with top line potential (admittedly coming off a down year) and two more RFA years for a 29 y/o goalie in in the last year of his contract coming off his worst year statistically to date and looking for big dollars and a lot of term

What is Nashville adding to make this a fair deal?
You left out that the top 6 winger with top line potential doesn't play a lick of defense for a coach that demands 2 way play. There's not piles of difference between Kuzmenko and Necas. Necas is just a better version.

• Haha
Reactions: Dog

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
  • Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If they’re losing both Guentzel and Necas, it makes zero sense for the Canes to use their best trade chip (Necas) to acquire a goalie when they have 3 NHL goalies under contract and they’ll be in dire need replacing 2 top 6 scorers.

I’ve never really understood any of the “Necas for a goalie” rumors, as they just don’t add up.
it's never made sense. It's been a meme since 2022 when the team had to turn to a 22 YO Kochetkov in the playoffs because of injuries to Andersen and Raanta, the injury to the former arguably being the reason they were eliminated in the second round instead of past the Rangers in 5 that year. Yeah no shit goaltending was an issue in 2022, their options were a very green 3rd stringer or an injured backup.

2023 goaltending was NOT an issue, Andersen did everything he could to carry the team in the playoffs and they just couldn't score against the Panthers in the ECF in a series that could have gone either way.

This year is the first that you can legitimately say their starting goalie cost them since the year they had a rookie Ned in net. But they have 3 NHL goalies heading into next season that are under contract, and Kochetkov is no longer some green rookie but a guy that's showing he's capable of taking on a 1A type workload on an absolute bargain contact. The team re-allocating money from the net to add more scoring should be the goal right now, not trading scoring (our single most individually talented RFA at that) to add a goalie that's going to want north of $8M on a long term deal.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What teams have won with a high priced goalie recently? Tampa and Florida if they win tonight?
Carolina has been eliminated by FLA the last 2 years
By Shesterkin the 2 years before that
By Vasilevksi the year before that
By Rask the 2 years before that

Shesterkin isn't "high priced" though he's not cheap, and will be paid a lot on his next deal.

I'd say Carolina has seen first hand for 7 years in a row the value of goaltending.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Ok. Good luck with that.
We will. I have had a lot more great memories over the LAST SIX STRAIGHT YEARS GOING DEEP INTO THE PLAYOFFS, than the one flash-in-the-pan year in 06 when they won the cup. If you would rather watch your team win a cup one time and then spend the next 10 years watching them play in a mostly empty barn filled by more of the opponent's fans than your fellow fans. By all means go ahead. I will take being cup favorites year in year out.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Carolina has been eliminated by FLA the last 2 years
By Shesterkin the 2 years before that
By Vasilevksi the year before that
By Rask the 2 years before that

Shesterkin isn't "high priced" though he's not cheap, and will be paid a lot on his next deal.

I'd say Carolina has seen first hand for 7 years in a row the value of goaltending.
Last three years it was Rangers, Panthers, Rangers that eliminated us but otherwise your point is still a good one.

Reactions: DaveG and Dr Quincy

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Pagnotta speculated that Preds might get Canes interested, if they included Saros. Article headline: "Hurricanes, Predators discussing Martin Necas-Juuse Saros trade"

as clickbaity as it could be, hoping that people dont actually have time to read the article and just see that there's some source included.

Reactions: DaveG

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
A better question is how many teams playoff runs have been ruined by poor goaltending? Price, Vasilevsky, Bob, Oettinger. Look at the goalies in the finals the past 4 years, most are top tenders, even if they weren't high paid. Price / Vasi was the final a few years back, two highest paid goalies in the league.

As goalies get a larger share of the cap going forward, this myth that you don't need to spend on a goalie will die a deserved death,

And yes, you can win with a mid tier goalie if you have an incredible team and that goalie gets hot, But that isn't a winning strategy.
Big reason why I think people believe you don't need a good goalie anymore is because there just aren't that many around these days. We've become numb to watching trash between the pipes.

I swear 10 years ago we had way more talent in G. Price, Holtby, Bishop, Rask, Crawford, Quick, Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne, Luongo....list goes on and on and on

Reactions: japhi

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That feels incredibly lopsided in favor of the Preds.
Depends on how you rate them. From a Preds POV I see a goaltender we don't need, an overpaid bottom 6er, and a 55 pt winger that wants big money in exchange for one of our most consistently valuable players in Saros and a middle 6er on reasonable money/term in Novak.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Depends on how you rate them. From a Preds POV I see a goaltender we don't need, an overpaid bottom 6er, and a 55 pt winger that wants big money in exchange for one of our most consistently valuable players in Saros and a middle 6er on reasonable money/term in Novak.
And I see a rental goalie and a middle 6 player for a young top 6 wing, a long term signed 3C with a cheap buyout if needed, and a slightly worse rental goalie.

The difference in one season between Andersen and Saros isn’t enough to deal Necas.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
And I see a rental goalie and a middle 6 player for a young top 6 wing, a long term signed 3C with a cheap buyout if needed, and a slightly worse rental goalie.

The difference in one season between Andersen and Saros isn’t enough to deal Necas.
Sounds like most of us are happy not taking a deal around these players then.

Reactions: Chan790

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
This is nonsense, Necas obviously wants to come home to Chicago.
He used to wear Wolves pajamas or something.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So Carolina, practically the inventor of "goalies aren't differentiable on the whole, so we won't pay them like they are" is going to pay big for a goalie?

Hopefully they have realized that attitude is folly.

losing Necas would sting but I support

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Hopefully they have realized that attitude is folly.

losing Necas would sting but I support
I think we've proven it actually. We make mediocre goalies look good and better goaltending wouldn't have won us anything. At this point, the difference between what we have (Freddie, PK, Martin) and better tending ( e.g. Saros) is a matter of diminishing returns.

Our problem hasn't been keeping opponents off the scoreboard as much as it's not managing to break through against great goaltending.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I agree, who the heck likes playoff hockey
Yeah so much better watching a complete shit team rarely make the playoffs and when they do have a very low chance of winning the cup. God who the hell would rather watch their team be one of the best teams in the league year in year out, and win at least one playoff series every year. Dummies!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad