Rumor: Canes and Preds talking large deal around Saros and Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I don't like this from a Canes perspective so you're fixing one hole goaltending but then you're making the issue of secondary scoring worse, then they have to revamp the defense this year losing possibly Skjei and Pesce and Burns will be a year older, they there is the fact they might lose Guentzel also which means there going to lose a lot of depth. Is Morrow ready? I'm not sure, I just don't think trading Necas for a goalie is the right move, he needs to be moved for a younger player with similliar upside or for a few lesser players to spread out the offence. Trading Necas for a small athletic goalie, who didn't have the best season this year doesn't make sense to me,

They should be calling up the Kraken and try to get something like Bjorkstand + Borgen for Necas,. I just see the Canes regressing a bit this year if they make out this trade I don't like it for them.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As Sharks fan, those aren't the banners you wanna hang.
Except unlike Shark's fans, the Canes actually have a banner you wanna hang. ;)

Yes, it was in 2006, but being at game 7 and watching it happen will be a memory I'll never forget.

10 years of suckitude with no playoffs before Dundon took over also will be a memory I'll never forget.

Of course I want them to win it all, but frankly, having them be damn good night in and night out and winning at least 1 round every playoffs has been enjoyable.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
That doesn't sound so promising from the teams perspective view. I'm guessing Saros wants a long term deal with a cap hit of at least $8 million per year and Trotz/Preds probably want shorter term and a lower cap hit.
I think the rumor was basically 8x8.

Trotz is on record of hating the retirement type contracts which is what that would be. Trotz probably would rather give 9 million AAV but keep it at 5 or 6 years.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Sounds like a continuation of the expectation that they'll have a satisfactory resolution something around 6 years, well below $8M AAV, with a NTC (but no NMC). I don't think the same parameters would necessarily apply if Saros was dealt somewhere else, however. But he's not going to be dealt. That ship sailed long ago.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think the rumor was basically 8x8.

Trotz is on record of hating the retirement type contracts which is what that would be. Trotz probably would rather give 9 million AAV but keep it at 5 or 6 years.
5 more years of Saros as a Pred, does not help long term if the Preds still feel highly with Askarov. Preds really don't have to do anything, if they don't want to. It could be Saros/Askarov for this season. If the Preds don't get the contract extension they want with Saros, then he might have a higher trade value at the dead line, depending on where the Preds are in the standings.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Sounds like a continuation of the expectation that they'll have a satisfactory resolution something around 6 years, well below $8M AAV, with a NTC (but no NMC). I don't think the same parameters would necessarily apply if Saros was dealt somewhere else, however. But he's not going to be dealt. That ship sailed long ago.
If you give Saros even a 6 year deal extension, then the Preds can forget about keeping Askarov. I don't think from Askarov's perspective you want to wait 6 years being age 28 to get your chance at being a #1 goalie.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you give Saros even a 6 year deal extension, then the Preds can forget about keeping Askarov. I don't think from Askarov's perspective you want to wait 6 years being age 28 to get your chance at being a #1 goalie.
And considering his agent is the same as Afanasyev, you can bet in a couple years he is going to be making the same demand.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Naw, Askarov becomes a number one goalie whenever he’s good enough to be one. Doesn’t have anything to do with Saros. Let’s see him get out of the AHL and get there if he can. We’ll be rooting for him.

Meanwhile there’s no guarantee he ever even makes the NHL, so we can’t wait around planning on something that might never happen.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Naw, Askarov becomes a number one goalie whenever he’s good enough to be one. Doesn’t have anything to do with Saros. Let’s see him get out of the AHL and get there if he can. We’ll be rooting for him.

Meanwhile there’s no guarantee he ever even makes the NHL, so we can’t wait around planning on something that might never happen.
Uh, Preds have been pretty calculated drafting goalies to be #1's. Only two games so far, Askarov has shown good promise. I think he will pan out just fine.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Uh, Preds have been pretty calculated drafting goalies to be #1's. Only two games so far, Askarov has shown good promise. I think he will pan out just fine.
I think so too. And I'm down for Boston's goalie situation if things work out that way. If Askarov becomes Swayman, he'll be #1. It's all to the good for the Preds if that happens. Just... today you can't place all your chips on that happening. It's a bonus if it does.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Trading a 25 y/o top 6 winger with top line potential (admittedly coming off a down year) and two more RFA years for a 29 y/o goalie in in the last year of his contract coming off his worst year statistically to date and looking for big dollars and a lot of term

What is Nashville adding to make this a fair deal?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This is just a trade proposal someone came up with so they could fap about it...this would be horrible asset management from the Canes perspective. Goalies never hold the value people hope for, not when they're a 1 yr rental (looking for a huge UFA extension) coming off their worst year, and certainly not anywhere close to a 25yo 60ish point W who's an RFA and has some game-breaking speed and talent if he could find linemates and a team play-style that meshes

Reactions: DaveG

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think so too. And I'm down for Boston's goalie situation if things work out that way. If Askarov becomes Swayman, he'll be #1. It's all to the good for the Preds if that happens. Just... today you can't place all your chips on that happening. It's a bonus if it does.
That is why I said Saros/Askarov for this season. Askarov's entry level contract ends after this season, where he becomes a restricted FA. Trade dead line you could get more for Saros, if the situation calls for it.

This is just a trade proposal someone came up with so they could fap about it...this would be horrible asset management from the Canes perspective. Goalies never hold the value people hope for, not when they're a 1 yr rental (looking for a huge UFA extension) coming off their worst year, and certainly not anywhere close to a 25yo 60ish point W who's an RFA and has some game-breaking speed and talent if he could find linemates and a team play-style that meshes
Saros would be a major upgrade over Andersen. Saros is very durable and his play in the playoffs I think is under rated. Give him a very good team in front of him, watch that team even beat Shesterkin's Rangers!

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Saros would be a major upgrade over Andersen. Saros is very durable and his play in the playoffs I think is under rated. Give him a very good team in front of him, watch that team even beat Shesterkin's Rangers!
He's a probable upgrade over Kochetkov (our probable 1A) let alone Andersen as the 1B. But...is this really where we should be committing resources? We have the weakest d-corps we've iced in a while and lack offense, even with Necas.

Conversely, goalie isn't exactly a weakness for Carolina. PK was solid the rest of the way after an early season slump. Andersen was pretty great until he seemed to fall apart late (probably as a result of his long hiatus and illness affecting his stamina) and we all know Spence Martin is probably going to turn into a pumpkin at midnight eventually, but he's been good for us thus far.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’ve always felt it’s something mental with the Hurricanes. Seems like when they lose a playoff series they get swept or go down in a 3-0 hole that is impossible to climb out of

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’ve always felt it’s something mental with the Hurricanes. Seems like when they lose a playoff series they get swept or go down in a 3-0 hole that is impossible to climb out of
Its definitely mental, but I also think for as well coached as they are and for as deep they are. They seem to be missing, THE GUY. I think Aho is a very good player but I don't think he is "the guy".

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Anderson hasn’t been good enough, I can see why we’d be looking to upgrade in net if we can make something work.

We just don’t give ufa contracts typically and Saros needs one of those contracts.

The Canes have multiple issues.

Reactions: DaveG

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Askarov has played against men since he was drafted and even before that. He’s ready. Let’s move juuse while he still has a year left and we can get great assets back and then let’s focus on winning a cup with a more complete roster instead of two stud goalies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If they’re losing both Guentzel and Necas, it makes zero sense for the Canes to use their best trade chip (Necas) to acquire a goalie when they have 3 NHL goalies under contract and they’ll be in dire need replacing 2 top 6 scorers.

I’ve never really understood any of the “Necas for a goalie” rumors, as they just don’t add up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad