Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire 2024 1st (21OA) from the Kings for 2024 1st (26OA), 2024 2nd (57OA) and 2024 7th (198OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Seems a tad pricey.

I suppose they really like someone who they realized wouldn't be available at 26.
Again
Can't understand that sentiment

In what universe is it too 'pricey' ?

It's trading a pick you would make for a player at 57 that has so and so chance of making it (low)

To turning whoever we took at 26 into someone potentially better at 21 OR the 21 pick becomes a shinier asset another team may want..?

Hahahahahaha that's like taking info from the toilet
Was gonna say... I'm amazed people even still say His name ffs lol..

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Weird doing that trade before knowing who is available but I like it.
hugo has a trade in place with a higher team (if required). The trade he has ready will include #21 (instead of #26) which will be "just" enough to get the other team to bite.

Similar to what he did to acquire Dach from Chicago by getting the #13 pick from NYI prior. I think he hears one GM say, "Kent, turn that #26 into a #21 and you're good to go"..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I agree that something has to give and we can't keep them all. I still think it's way too premature to say that Barron won't amount to a quality dman however whether we trade him or not. We won't know this for a few years as not everyone figures it out at the same rate. Also we still aren't deep in the system at RD.
At this point, the small chance that he becomes a top 4 D doesn’t matter. He’s not good enough to be on the roster full time, and we’ve seen enough that he shouldn’t be taking up a roster spot over younger more promising prospects.

And we’re deep enough at RD that a guy like Barron shouldn’t be blocking better prospects from getting playing time, here or in Laval. If you’re worried about trading a young D before knowing what we have, then the risk is greater in trading away other RD prospects. Like I said, we’ve had a good long look at Barron, and he hasn’t been able to stick even on the bottom pairing on a lottery team. I think it’s time to move on.

At RD we’ve got:

Savard
Kovacevic
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Konyushkov

Where do you feel he fits in here? He’s not good enough currently to play over Savard or Kovacevic, and he hasn’t shown enough to have his development prioritized over any of Reinbacher, Mailloux, or even Konyushkov if he was to come over. He’s just the odd man out here; it’s not about wanting to trade him or whether he eventually gets it together. It’s about playing the odds, managing roster spots, and prioritizing the development of younger more promising prospects.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Again
Can't understand that sentiment

In what universe is it too 'pricey' ?

It's trading a pick you would make for a player at 57 that has so and so chance of making it (low)

To turning whoever we took at 26 into someone potentially better at 21 OR the 21 pick becomes a shinier asset another team may want..?

Was gonna say... I'm amazed people even still say His name ffs lol..

I said it was a tad pricey, so it's not exactly the same as you frame it. It's not egregious.... closer to splitting hairs, really.

The last time we drafted 26 we picked scherbak. Get rid of that damn pick

Last time we moved up (I think) in first round was for tinordi so we are just substituting one bad omen for another

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
watch us leave the first round with Silayev and Letourneau.

Who knows, maybe management were size queens all along.

I don’t hate the idea of Silayev like some, his offensive upside is a bit underwhelming, but lots of tools if he can put those pieces together.

If Demidov is available and they pass on him, would be frustrating way to start the night.

My feeling is he won’t be there anyways.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I said it was a tad pricey, so it's not exactly the same as you frame it. It's not egregious.... closer to splitting hairs, really.

Last time we moved up (I think) in first round was for inordinate so we are just substituting one bad omen for another
It’s pretty crazy we’ve drafted 26oa 3x in the past decade before trading the jets pick away.
25oa 2x
3oa 2x
And now 5oa 2x

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
At this point, the small chance that he becomes a top 4 D doesn’t matter. He’s not good enough to be on the roster full time, and we’ve seen enough that he shouldn’t be taking up a roster spot over younger more promising prospects.

And we’re deep enough at RD that a guy like Barron shouldn’t be blocking better prospects from getting playing time, here or in Laval. If you’re worried about trading a young D before knowing what we have, then the risk is greater in trading away other RD prospects. Like I said, we’ve had a good long look at Barron, and he hasn’t been able to stick even on the bottom pairing on a lottery team. I think it’s time to move on.

At RD we’ve got:

Savard
Kovacevic
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Konyushkov

Where do you feel he fits in here? He’s not good enough currently to play over Savard or Kovacevic, and he hasn’t shown enough to have his development prioritized over any of Reinbacher, Mailloux, or even Konyushkov if he was to come over. He’s just the odd man out here; it’s not about wanting to trade him or whether he eventually gets it together. It’s about playing the odds, managing roster spots, and prioritizing the development of younger more promising prospects.
Savard is not staying long, Kovacevic will get a better contract elsewhere next year.

Barron has played 201 pro games. Only 94 in the NHL.

More time may bring more consistency.

Reactions: themilosh

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Basu said the trade might be a precursor to something else.

Yeah, it’s a draft pick. The something else is definitely happening later today.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad