Canadian Soccer Part VI; O CANADA O BABY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Even if Flores decided he wanted to play for Canada, would he have the balls to jump ship at this point? Mexicans would lose their minds.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Even if Flores decided he wanted to play for Canada, would he have the balls to jump ship at this point? Mexicans would lose their minds.
Hard to say how deep the blood runs... There is probably room in both teams for an attacking midfielder of the future..,Big decision

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Stefan Mitrovic is another young player I can see them realistically try to cap tie since he's already indicated interest

Jebbison like Flores is another long shot one

Really hoping some center back somewhere out there discovers Canadian citizenship since that's what we really need

EDIT: In terms of one to watch at center back in the future, there is Justin Smith who just turned 19 and signed a pro contract with Nice last summer, came up through the PSG system. Plays for Nice's b team right now. Obviously more likely a player for the 2026 cycle

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
EDIT: In terms of one to watch at center back in the future, there is Justin Smith who just turned 19 and signed a pro contract with Nice last summer, came up through the PSG system. Plays for Nice's b team right now. Obviously more likely a player for the 2026 cycle
The one thing to keep in mind about Smith is he is not a natural CB. He was a CM in his younger days and still plays a good amount of CDM. Ways off from being a mainstay on the backline. Great on the ball though, I could see Herman looking at him as an option as early as the 2023 GC. Would provide coverage at 2 positions.

Going to be interesting to see what position he ends up playing as he progresses professionally.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The one thing to keep in mind about Smith is he is not a natural CB. He was a CM in his younger days and still plays a good amount of CDM. Ways off from being a mainstay on the backline. Great on the ball though, I could see Herman looking at him as an option as early as the 2023 GC. Would provide coverage at 2 positions.

Going to be interesting to see what position he ends up playing as he progresses professionally.

Yeah I should have clarified that he also plays defensive mid in a Piette type role too. We definitely need some friendlies scheduled soon to see what we have with a few of these potential next world cup cycle players

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
IF the rest of qualifying plays out with the favorites winning & advancing, Canada will be the 3rd highest ranked team in pot 4 based on today's rankings. Right now I see #25 Serbia as the lowest ranked Pot 3 team. There is a tight grouping in the rankings with Canada as they're farther in points from 32 than they are 37.

To get to POT 3, Canada will need to have 3 teams in favorable position and ahead of them in the rankings to not qualify and not have another team near them leap them. Here are some of the scenarios that could happen. Come on chaos!!
  • USA (#13) to not qualify. Very possible with games at Panama & Costa Rica still. This then has 2 of Panama, Costa Rica & OFC team who will all be below Canada to qualify.
  • Scotland (#40) to qualify from their UEFA bracket and not leap Canada in rankings
  • Russia (#35) to qualify from their UEFA bracket and not leap Canada in rankings
  • Neither Italy nor Portugal qualify from their UEFA bracket and Turkey (#39) to not leap Canada in rankings
  • Japan (#23) doesn't get auto-qualifier and fails in AFC4th or vs Inter-confed playoff. If so, then Australia (#37) also not to leap Canada.
  • Egypt (#34) to beat Senegal (#18) in CAF playoff and not leap Canada in rankings. Assume winner of this will be above Canada though
  • Ghana (#61) to beat Nigeria (#32) in CAF playoff
  • Congo (#66) to beat Morocco (#21) in CAF playoff
  • South Korea (#29) who already qualified to lose remaining matches and drop in rankings

Also assuming POT 4 would already have the following teams and all remain below Canada.
  • Tunisia #36 vs Mali #48 winner in CAF playoff
  • Cameroon #38 vs #43 Algeria winner in CAF playoff
  • Ecuador #44
  • Saudi Arabia #53
  • Panama #63/ Costa Rica #42 / OFC winner

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Also assuming POT 4 would already have the following teams and all remain below Canada.
Great breakdown! It's going to be interesting watching all of the other scored boards from around the world in the next window.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
IF the rest of qualifying plays out with the favorites winning & advancing, Canada will be the 3rd highest ranked team in pot 4 based on today's rankings. Right now I see #25 Serbia as the lowest ranked Pot 3 team. There is a tight grouping in the rankings with Canada as they're farther in points from 32 than they are 37.

To get to POT 3, Canada will need to have 3 teams in favorable position and ahead of them in the rankings to not qualify and not have another team near them leap them. Here are some of the scenarios that could happen. Come on chaos!!
  • USA (#13) to not qualify. Very possible with games at Panama & Costa Rica still. This then has 2 of Panama, Costa Rica & OFC team who will all be below Canada to qualify.
  • Scotland (#40) to qualify from their UEFA bracket and not leap Canada in rankings
  • Russia (#35) to qualify from their UEFA bracket and not leap Canada in rankings
  • Neither Italy nor Portugal qualify from their UEFA bracket and Turkey (#39) to not leap Canada in rankings
  • Japan (#23) doesn't get auto-qualifier and fails in AFC4th or vs Inter-confed playoff. If so, then Australia (#37) also not to leap Canada.
  • Egypt (#34) to beat Senegal (#18) in CAF playoff and not leap Canada in rankings. Assume winner of this will be above Canada though
  • Ghana (#61) to beat Nigeria (#32) in CAF playoff
  • Congo (#66) to beat Morocco (#21) in CAF playoff
  • South Korea (#29) who already qualified to lose remaining matches and drop in rankings

• Tunisia #36 vs Mali #48 winner in CAF playoff
  • Cameroon #38 vs #43 Algeria winner in CAF playoff
  • Ecuador #44
  • Saudi Arabia #53
  • Panama #63/ Costa Rica #42 / OFC winner

I'm sort of torn on this. On the one hand, it frustrating to think that Canada could end up in Pot 4 while Mexico and the USA end up in Pot 2, should they qualify.

On the other hand, it basically means that Canada is more of a Pot 2 team than a Pot 4 team, which could set up some potentially fantastic upsets in the round robin. I wonder if the higher ranked nations would prefer to face the US or Mexico instead of Canada in the opening round.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of Canada's games in Qatar.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
In the ELO rankings, which itself not perfect, but usually more accurate than the FIFA rankings IMO, Canada is currently ranked 21st.
Wild.

upload_2022-2-13_15-20-26.png

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I'm sort of torn on this. On the one hand, it frustrating to think that Canada could end up in Pot 4 while Mexico and the USA end up in Pot 2, should they qualify.

On the other hand, it basically means that Canada is more of a Pot 2 team than a Pot 4 team, which could set up some potentially fantastic upsets in the round robin. I wonder if the higher ranked nations would prefer to face the US or Mexico instead of Canada in the opening round.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of Canada's games in Qatar.

Let's book our ticket first ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad