Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
2022 FIFA World Cup qualification - Wikipedia <--- Qualified teams

200.gif

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
At least one of Costa Rica or Panama would have to go perfect for Canada to finish 4th. Costa Rica can not catch Canada if Canada gets any points so any Canada points plus any Panama draws or losses is a clinch.

And if Panama or Costa Rica go perfect, the US needs to win in Mexico to pass us.

The only scenario where 26 points does not directly qualify us:

- Canada draws Jamaica or Costa Rica, loses other two matches
- US wins in Mexico, Panama wins against Honduras in MD 12
- Mexico wins in Honduras, Panama wins in United States in MD 13
- US wins in Costa Rica, Mexico wins against El Salvador in MD 14
- Panama overturns a 13 goal GD during this time

That would put US/Mexico at 27, and Canada/Panama at 26.

The tl;dr of this whole thing is if the US doesn't win in Mexico it is basically impossible for us to miss out even if we lose all three matches.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
To build on the above we went in knowing we wouldn't have Phonzie and possibly no Eustaquio....Yet this team went south and won twice and beat the "golden generation" USA team. 6 goals for none conceded!

It honestly can't be repeated enough the absolute beast that Borjan has been, essentially willing the ball out of the net on multiple occasions. Though El Salvador's keeper had a few nice ones last night too

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It honestly can't be repeated enough the absolute beast that Borjan has been, essentially willing the ball out of the net on multiple occasions. Though El Salvador's keeper had a few nice ones last night too
Yup! He has been one of the many to step up! Love the leadership he brings to this team!

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I don't even care about what the other teams do/scenarios to qualify for the last matchday cycle. We are at the finish line, just need to break through that ribbon.

Feels good not to have to be on pins and needles hoping for another team to do us a favour or us having to need to win 2 of 3 or all 3 just to have a chance to qualify. I'm just going to sit back and take it all in and enjoy which is something I couldn't do with Croatia during their qualifying cycle. They always seem to do it the hard way, right to the death.

Selfishly, I hope Canada has the chance to qualify outright at home versus Jamaica. What a party that will/would be regardless!

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Eustaquio played like a guy who's been through covid protocols and a ridiculous amount of travel. He was a step behind all game and his touches were off (field was horrible no matter what Dumfield says).

However, his dedication to this team and the fact that he was even there in El Salvador is another sign of how different things are this time around and how tight this team is.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I was playing around with the current rankings to see potential groups for Qatar. Obviously that's still very subject to change, but it was a fun exercise seeing best and worst case scenarios for the USMNT. I think you guys have a chance at getting into Pot 3 which would be a huge benefit. We are all hoping to get into a group with Qatar as the pot 1 team (duh), but aside from that, I'd love to see Canada drawn into a group like this:

England
Uruguay
Canada
Saudi Arabia

I feel like a healthy Canada could finish above the current Uruguay in a group. Also seeing them go up against an England would be fun.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad