GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Thanks. But for the first game anyway there could be a different way in which to have the host playing first, to open the tournament. Really all it requires is scheduling to do that.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Everybody wanted group A and Netherlands got it. of course, grumble, grumble....heh
yeah it's a weird one, this is the first time ever they've not had the kick of times scheduled ahead of the draw. but the days the games will be played on are known.

my guess is they want to try and get the best TV audiences possible everywhere based on the kick off times being 10am, 1pm, 4pm 7pm GMT

so just guessing how Canada's fixtures may play out:

First round of games are relatively simple

Nov 23rd:
Germany (GMT+2) v Japan(GMT+9) - 10am
Morocco (GMT) v Croatia (GMT+2) - 1pm
Belgium (GMT+2) vs Canada(GMT-5 to GMT-8) - 4pm
Spain (GMT+2) v Costa Rica(GMT-6)/New Zealand (GMT+13) - 7pm

Second round is harder without knowing who Japan will play, i'm not sure there's a time that fits both Japan and Costa Rica/NZ, I'd probably give Japan the preferential time due to them not going through a qualifier

Nov 27th:
Japan v Costa Rica/New Zealand - 10am
Belgium v Morocco - 1pm
Spain v Germany - 4pm
Croatia vs Canada - 7pm

Last games historically kick off at the same time, so another challenge without knowing who's playing

Dec 1st:
Croatia v Belgium - 4pm
Canada vs Morocco - 4pm

Japan v Spain (if it's NZ 10am, Costa Rica 1pm)
Costa Rica/New Zealand v Germany (if it's NZ 10am, Costa Rica 1pm)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Netherlands with a ridiculously easy group. How would you not advance in that grouping?

Don't mind where Canada place and especially like that I can cheer against Belgium with even more ferocity. heh

So (from a guy who knows nothing about soccer) what are our chances against a country like Belgium? And then Morocco?

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
So (from a guy who knows nothing about soccer) what are our chances against a country like Belgium? And then Morocco?
Belgium are a powerhouse, but they have an aging team. De Bruyne is one of the best players in the world. Most likely the best at his position, BUT, Belgium have been known to not play all that well as a team and often choke at the World Cup and their defensive game leaves a lot to be desired. Croatia is starting to get old. 2 of their best players have retired and Modric isn't a spring chicken anymore. They're honestly not as good as people are saying they are and they have a pretty suspect offense. Morocco is a decent team but they lack the big star power that other teams have and i honestly think that Canada as a whole is a better team. If i had to rank the teams in our group it would go something like this:

Belgium>Croatia>= Canada>Morocco

There's a VERY good possibility that if Canada is healthy and plays their game that we finish second in the groups.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Belgium are a powerhouse, but they have an aging team. De Bruyne is one of the best players in the world. Most likely the best at his position, BUT, Belgium have been known to not play all that well as a team and often choke at the World Cup and their defensive game leaves a lot to be desired. Croatia is starting to get old. 2 of their best players have retired and Modric isn't a spring chicken anymore. They're honestly not as good as people are saying they are and they have a pretty suspect offense. Morocco is a decent team but they lack the big star power that other teams have and i honestly think that Canada as a whole is a better team. If i had to rank the teams in our group it would go something like this:

Belgium>Croatia>= Canada>Morocco

There's a VERY good possibility that if Canada is healthy and plays their game that we finish second in the groups.

I think the thing people are forgetting is that yes, while Modric remains one of the best in the world (despite being at the end of his career), so is Davies. Croatia is a team I really like but if we get a solid outing from the entire team they're not unbeatable.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I think the thing people are forgetting is that yes, while Modric remains one of the best in the world (despite being at the end of his career), so is Davies. Croatia is a team I really like but if we get a solid outing from the entire team they're not unbeatable.
Agreed. Also people have to remember when it comes to Croatia, pretty much all they have is Modric and like we've both said while he is still one of the best he is aging. Canada does have a young team and although they're inexperienced they do have some pretty damn good players in Davies, David, Larin, Eustaqio and Lareya. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Canada kept pace with Croatia for 2nd in the group. Croatia is still a good team but i think overall Canada just has younger better quality players. Plus once Modric decides to retire Croatia doesn't really have all that many good players in the pipeline to replace the likes of Modric, Rakitic, Corluka and Mandzukic.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Concur totally on the answers already provided. With proviso that WC is a level of tension unlike Canada has experienced. Its going to be a different feeling for the team, hopefully they can acclimatize, then theres the heat, some of the stadia will be pumping out air conditioning, into the outside air, some won't. I like that the first game jitters is against Belgium. Thats almost perfect. Ramp right up right away. Would be worse, jmo, if we faced the must W game against Morocco first.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Concur totally on the answers already provided. With proviso that WC is a level of tension unlike Canada has experienced. Its going to be a different feeling for the team, hopefully they can acclimatize, then theres the heat, some of the stadia will be pumping out air conditioning, into the outside air, some won't. I like that the first game jitters is against Belgium. Thats almost perfect. Ramp right up right away. Would be worse, jmo, if we faced the must W game against Morocco first.
Thanks for the reply.

As little as I know about soccer--it's obvious in looking at the various groups that there are so many powerhouse teams--- it's inevitable that Canada will need a "miracle on ice" performance like the Americans in Lake Placid to make it too far (no matter what group they landed in) but with a younger team and perhaps lower expectations well........

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Thanks for the reply.

As little as I know about soccer--it's obvious in looking at the various groups that there are so many powerhouse teams--- it's inevitable that Canada will need a "miracle on ice" performance like the Americans in Lake Placid to make it too far (no matter what group they landed in) but with a younger team and perhaps lower expectations well........

Canada though is very capable of scoring goals, and very good service setting up the strikers. That said the games I've seen are against Concacaf level of opponents and defending but they've been pretty capable of putting some fear into clubs.

Last time Canada qualified in 86 they were not a goal scoring threat, that team got to the WC on defense and goaltending. This team is different in that their counter and quick strike is quite good. I'm more worried about the defending with this Canadian squad.

Modric, for Croatia, I describe him to non Soccer fans as kind of like a Gretzky. I mean less noticeable because of all the men on the pitch, but he's a real high level player and threat, and of the likes Canada hasn't seen a lot of in qualifying. Belgium are a whole other problem. I guess they would be the NHL comparable to say Florida or Carolina. Have not put it together yet, but expected to.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Belgium game probably won’t be fun to watch. I expect the possession to be something like 65/35 in favour of Belgium.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Belgium...we are going to face some of the best of this generations Belgium national team...

To be able to see this in my lifetime, Canada competing for the World Cup. So, proud.

Still digesting the significance of this for Canada.

It's really sad how many migrants workers have died in the construction of this event. I hope, with the integrity of the World Event and the future. They will invest in the safety of their workers and make their working conditions on par with their quality of life. My prayers to their families.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Belgium...we are going to face some of the best of this generations Belgium national team...

To be able to see this in my lifetime, Canada competing for the World Cup. So, proud.

Still digesting the significance of this for Canada.

It's really sad how many migrants workers have died in the construction of this event. I hope, with the integrity of the World Event and the future. They will invest in the safety of their workers and make their working conditions on par with their quality of life. My prayers to their families.

Just a word on this though. While Qatar are getting a ton of flack for the deaths the mechanism of those deaths is basically heat. This in a climate where its too hot to do anything outside during the day. The level of infrastructure is built, and that is being constantly built around Doha is off the charts. Add to the constant building of towers that they're building 8 stadiums a high speed rail system connecting everything, and all the added infrastructure. For the Stadiums that are being built, multiple of them are providing air conditioning for the workers wherever possible. The timeline is severe for all the builds, and really the only way to be safe in that climate is to work very short days, just cooler season, and thats not tenable financially, or to keep on track, or plausible.

To add that the most populated areas are experiencing an immense heat island effect. Different cities with immense use of air conditioning have had this where the ACTUAL AC in highly populated areas is adding heat, outside, to the surrounding areas. What this means is that even evenings and mornings are now hotter, and quickly get hot in the work areas.

Another point is not all the reported worker deaths are due to the specific World Cup build out. Immense construction in the region is a constant. The tally is basically counting all construction deaths whether it be infrastructure, building of hotels, towers, etc. I can remind that a lot of migrants here died when we built the National Dream. maybe not a good comparison, But that is Still Canadas most immense undertaking in history.

just food for thought.

Soon as the World Cup was awarded to Qatar it was known there would be tragedy. Its a virtually lethal climate. Construction there would be like trying to construct something on the moon. A terrible place during the day heat and a potentially lethal place to work outdoors during the day.

No easy answers.

Last edited:

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Just a word on this though. While Qatar are getting a ton of flack for the deaths the mechanism of those deaths is basically heat. This in a climate where its too hot to do anything outside during the day. The level of infrastructure is built, and that is being constantly built around Doha is off the charts. Add to the constant building of towers that they're building 8 stadiums a high speed rail system connecting everything, and all the added infrastructure. For the Stadiums that are being built, multiple of them are providing air conditioning for the workers wherever possible. The timeline is severe for all the builds, and really the only way to be safe in that climate is to work very short days, just cooler season, and thats not tenable financially, or to keep on track, or plausible.

To add that the most populated areas are experiencing an immense heat island effect. Different cities with immense use of air conditioning have had this where the ACTUAL AC in highly populated areas is adding heat, outside, to the surrounding areas. What this means is that even evenings and mornings are now hotter, and quickly get hot in the work areas.

Another point is not all the reported worker deaths are due to the specific World Cup build out. Immense construction in the region is a constant. The tally is basically counting all construction deaths whether it be infrastructure, building of hotels, towers, etc. I can remind that a lot of migrants here died when we built the National Dream. maybe not a good comparison, But that is Still Canadas most immense undertaking in history.

just food for thought.

Soon as the World Cup was awarded to Qatar it was known there would be tragedy. Its a virtually lethal climate. Construction there would be like trying to construct something on the moon. A terrible place during the day heat and a potentially lethal place to work outdoors during the day.

No easy answers.
The easy answer is that is should not have taken place in Qatar. FIFA is so corrupt, now to the point that they are fine with people dying for a tournament as long as it lines the pockets of a few people. Since migrant workers have been dying before the construction for the WC started, isn't it worse then that they knew migrant workers die in such conditions and they still went ahead with it?

It's like saying "well, when you have a picnic during a hurricane, people will die. People have died in hurricanes before and that's just something that happens. No easy answers"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The easy answer is that is should not have taken place in Qatar. FIFA is so corrupt, now to the point that they are fine with people dying for a tournament as long as it lines the pockets of a few people. Since migrant workers have been dying before the construction for the WC started, isn't it worse then that they knew migrant workers die in such conditions and they still went ahead with it?

It's like saying "well, when you have a picnic during a hurricane, people will die. People have died in hurricanes before and that's just something that happens. No easy answers"
Oh ftr I absolutely agree. I didn't think it should go to Qatar, for the types of reasons expressed. It was a known that deaths in construction would be imminent. So FIFA has culpability in this.

I don't think I absolved FIFA in anyway in what I stated.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
game times have been scheduled for the group stages, Canada's games are:

Wednesday Nov 23rd 12pm vs Belgium
Sunday Nov 27th 9am vs Croatia
Thursday Dec 1st 8am vs Morocco

(assuming i've got the time conversion right and Edmonton is -7GMT)

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Yeah. They may have well played this in Europe or given the games to the US and Mexico. Another black eye for Soccer Canada.
I’m not sure how much blame should be placed on Canada Soccer versus FIFA itself. I could definitely see a scenario where the big wigs at FIFA push for the games to be in the perceived ‘world class’ cities in Canada so their execs don’t have to come to Edmonton.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I don't get. Edmonton proved they can hold these World Class events. Despite being older, Commonwealth Stadium still has a big-league feel to it and has aged rather well. It is the largest capacity stadium in the country and it would be a shame if one of the showcase stadiums in Canada is not able to host a likely once-in-a-lifetime event.

Yes, the city is smaller, but Canada was supposed to host games in 3 cities. As was Mexico.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't get. Edmonton proved they can hold these World Class events. Despite being older, Commonwealth Stadium still has a big-league feel to it and has aged rather well. It is the largest capacity stadium in the country and it would be a shame if one of the showcase stadiums in Canada is not able to host a likely once-in-a-lifetime event.

Yes, the city is smaller, but Canada was supposed to host games in 3 cities. As was Mexico.
Commonwealth Stadium for around 15yrs was the unofficial home of Team Canada, and was stoutly behind the Mens and Womens teams. So many moments occurred here in Canada's national team soccer history. But alas that all ended when Toronto coveted the matches and soccer grew there through Toronto FC and such.

In anycase Edmonton has been dissed for decades by Soccer Canada, we're the proverbial place mat. Helpful, selectively, when wanted but smell you later any other time. Edmonton got the two qualifying matches BECAUSE of when the games were played and that it would likely offer up the most hostile winter type weather to the Concacaf visiting squads. I mean thats cynical, but also true. Nobody in Soccer Canada is in our corner. Fifa either.

Who remembers that time when FIFA reps came here, and panned our stadium and City while waxing on about how great Swangard stadium and environs is. As a longtimer I'm used to this.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Commonwealth Stadium for around 15yrs was the unofficial home of Team Canada, and was stoutly behind the Mens and Womens teams. So many moments occurred here in Canada's national team soccer history. But alas that all ended when Toronto coveted the matches and soccer grew there through Toronto FC and such.

In anycase Edmonton has been dissed for decades by Soccer Canada, we're the proverbial place mat. Helpful, selectively, when wanted but smell you later any other time. Edmonton got the two qualifying matches BECAUSE of when the games were played and that it would likely offer up the most hostile winter type weather to the Concacaf visiting squads. I mean thats cynical, but also true. Nobody in Soccer Canada is in our corner. Fifa either.

Who remembers that time when FIFA reps came here, and panned our stadium and City while waxing on about how great Swangard stadium and environs is. As a longtimer I'm used to this.
Did they really?!:laugh:

I'd love to know what specifically they didn't like about Commonwealth Stadium itself. Swangard is a minor league as it gets. As for the environs, well, maybe the immediate area around Swangard is nicer, but that doesn't compensate for an absolute underwhelming stadium.

I think it is more FIFA and not Soccer Canada that is behind this supposed proposal to only have 2 Canadian cities host. I guess we will find out if it is true in the coming hours or days.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah. They may have well played this in Europe or given the games to the US and Mexico. Another black eye for Soccer Canada.
I would be pissed about Vancouver changing their mind. With the UK bid to host the World cup a few years ago, the bid cost between 1 to 5 million in the early stages. Me being me, If Edmonton tax payers paid anything tothe bid and not get shut out, the city should bill/sue Vancouver for not ponying up during the process

I'd love to know what specifically they didn't like about Commonwealth Stadium itself. Swangard is a minor league as it gets. As for the environs, well, maybe the immediate area around Swangard is nicer, but that doesn't compensate for an absolute underwhelming stadium.

I think it is more FIFA and not Soccer Canada that is behind this supposed proposal to only have 2 Canadian cities host. I guess we will find out if it is true in the coming hours or days.
my guess is it is FIFA and they would prefer Vancouver as Vancouver will give them more of the grey area payments they like

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

They did. I think it was in relation to the World unders tournament years ago that Canada hosted. I think in 2007. The delegates toured Commonwealth, complained about the view, (what a weird comment, the view is pretty good from row 83... and they waxed on about how lovely Swangard was. Google is really crap for trying to google older articles. All the hits you get are just recent. They took digs at Edmonton as well. its the kind of person that a FIFA delegate tends to be that they look down on places while awarding tournaments to the most unlikely places.
They actually rated Swangard a better more attractive facility.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
They did. I think it was in relation to the World unders tournament years ago that Canada hosted. I think in 2007. The delegates toured Commonwealth, complained about the view, (what a weird comment, the view is pretty good from row 83... and they waxed on about how lovely Swangard was. Google is really crap for trying to google older articles. All the hits you get are just recent. They took digs at Edmonton as well. its the kind of person that a FIFA delegate tends to be that they look down on places while awarding tournaments to the most unlikely places.
They actually rated Swangard a better more attractive facility.

Knowing FIFA, probably something to do with palms and grease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad