GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The play was offside by a foot. The broadcast are heavily homer in their call of the games. No reason to be offside there but it was. That said Panama played a decent game and probably had more quality chances and got more quality shots on net. Canada had the margin and knew they would get first so didn't see the same intensity from them. Pretty hard game to watch tbh.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
That was a disappointing effort but we are in, so it is what it is. I will be very glad not to have to watch a CONCACAF game for a long time between the simulation and poor refereeing. Maddening.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
FIFA ranking system is still so whacked. They'll never come up with a proper system.

Costa Rica, on the basis of mean nothing wins in the last week of qualifying jump several spots to 31, vaulting Canada, who finish first in Concacaf while dropping several spots to 38. The ranking movements due to the Costa Rica wins and Canada losses but with no consideration that the W against Canada was while Canada played more than an hour red carded, down a man, and the US layed down in their last match. One thinks if this is the first round of qualifying the results don't go this way. Something for Costa Rica to feel good about I guess.
Hopefully for Canada the latest loss doesn't screw up their placing in the draw in anyway. From what others have stated it changes the pot they will be in. tbh I don't understand the pot system any more than I comprehend voodoo.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
FIFA ranking system is still so whacked. They'll never come up with a proper system.

Costa Rica, on the basis of mean nothing wins in the last week of qualifying jump several spots to 31, vaulting Canada, who finish first in Concacaf while dropping several spots to 38. The ranking movements due to the Costa Rica wins and Canada losses but with no consideration that the W against Canada was while Canada played more than an hour red carded, down a man, and the US layed down in their last match. One thinks if this is the first round of qualifying the results don't go this way. Something for Costa Rica to feel good about I guess.
Hopefully for Canada the latest loss doesn't screw up their placing in the draw in anyway. From what others have stated it changes the pot they will be in. tbh I don't understand the pot system any more than I comprehend voodoo.
The pot system is pretty damn simple if you spend a minute looking it up. And yes, Canada's loss last night will have a decent impact on their placement in the draw as they would've moved up to Pot 3 with a win.

Here's a simulator for the world cup draw tomorrow. Canada's hope will obviously be to end up in Group A as that is the group the host Qatar is in.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
The pot system is pretty damn simple if you spend a minute looking it up. And yes, Canada's loss last night will have a decent impact on their placement in the draw as they would've moved up to Pot 3 with a win.

Here's a simulator for the world cup draw tomorrow. Canada's hope will obviously be to end up in Group A as that is the group the host Qatar is in.
draw-20220331150509961.png
Please god!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Depends what you mean specifically. I was talkign the whole process from FIFA ranking to final group selections. The sum or which is about a dozen pages of print to describe.

That said the system in play is the latest of flawed systems in play. For instance the ranking, pot placement all are subject to recency bias, that is the ranking of the team currently rather than using an averaged formula. Some coefficient should exist to factor in where the rankings were over time. For instance it makes no sense that Costa Rica rose rankings and Canada fell several ranks over games that were essentially meaningless. i.e. that Canada, with little to play for in last stage of games, because they had essentially already made it, is penalized around 7 ranks due to that.

A nation ranking ought to be some averaging of where they been for say the last year, not where they are the last day..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Netherlands with a ridiculously easy group. How would you not advance in that grouping?

Don't mind where Canada place and especially like that I can cheer against Belgium with even more ferocity. heh

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I think Canada could go 1-1-1 and potentially squeak through over Croatia on GD.

Croatia isn’t the Croatia of 2018. Although they still have Modric, both Rakitic and Manzukic have retired.

It’s possible Canada can draw against Croatia. As long as they take care of business against Morocco anything is possible.

After that though? Well we’re getting Germany or Spain lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So somebody that understands these things better than me why would they put Qatar in pot 1. That is an immense distortion of where they should be. Doesn't that compromise the pot groupings and the reasons for having them in the first place? Putting Qatar in Pot 1 GUARANTEED that whatever group they were in would be weak group even before the groups were decided. Seems flawed to me. Is this just sucking up to the hosts giving them a potential chance?

I like to look at the groups in terms of cumulative ranking. I think an argument can be made that theres always substantial differentiation in difficulty of groups. For instance in Netherlands group they are 12th ranked, Senegal 22, Ecuador 45, and Qatar 51 (seems high, I expect them to look a lot worse)

So heres my primitive analysis. Add up the ranks of the clubs, highest cumulative number = weaker group. So that in Group A the score is 131, meaning a very weak group. In contrast Group E (tough group) is Spain, ranked 7th, Germany 12, Japan 23, and Costa Rica, assuming, at 31. This making a cumulative score of 73. So a difference in score cumulative ranking of 58 between GRoup E and A. Thats nuts. That means on AVERAGE that group E teams are 14.5 ranks better than Group A teams. In a 32 team tournament that disparity is like finding yourselves in a completely different level of competition

Last edited:

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
So somebody that understands these things better than me why would they put Qatar in pot 1. That is an immense distortion of where they should be. Doesn't that compromise the pot groupings and the reasons for having them in the first place? Putting Qatar in Pot 1 GUARANTEED that whatever group they were in would be weak group even before the groups were decided. Seems flawed to me. Is this just sucking up to the hosts giving them a potential chance?
Because they're the host nation

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Because they're the host nation
I comprehend that the host nation automatically qualify. I don't follow why the rule is that the host nation gets preferential grouping that guarantees them a weakest possible group.

Qatar won't advance anyway so what really is the point of it? It ruins the balance of the groups. Qatar should be potted in pot 4, more according to their 51st FIFA ranking. How are they potted as if they are top 8?

Reactions: ujju2

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I comprehend that the host nation automatically qualify. I don't follow why the rule is that the host nation gets preferential grouping that guarantees them a weakest possible group.

Qatar won't advance anyway so what really is the point of it? It ruins the balance of the groups. Qatar should be potted in pot 4, more according to their 51st FIFA ranking. How are they potted as if they are top 8?
Honestly I have no clue. It makes no sense to me either, but all I've heard is that they're in pot 1 because they're the host nation. I'd be surprised if they even score a goal honestly. They're in group A automatically but they still could've put them in pot 4 and still had them in group A automatically. The world cup as fun and entertaining it is, makes less and less sense every year with how they do draws and rankings and shit. It boggles my mind how Canada can top the CONCACAF table and only be ranked 38th. Canada loses to Costa Rica and drops like 3-4 spots in the rankings. USA loses to Costa Rica and drops 1. You'd think that losing to a team below you in the rankings would drop you more the lower they are. For instance if Canada loses to Costa Rica it should drop them less than if Mexico or USA lost to them, but I digress. Apparently CONCACAF teams are worth little points compared to UEFA teams. Some bottom feeder UEFA team getting destroyed by Belgium will give Belgium more points than Mexico USA or Canada will.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
A1 vs A2 slot is guaranteed to be the first game of the tournament,

1 team per region per group (except UEFA)

To ensure the host is opening the tournament they have to be A1 therefore have to be one of the top seeded teams

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Canada the last team pulled, lol. Group F with Belgium, Morocco and Croatia.

It's tough, but not as bad as it could have been.

H and E look very tough.
E with Germany and Spain would have been a death sentence for Canada. It was funny seeing the "OneSoccer" guys sweating it out so much freaking out about the thought of Canada in Group E and then seeing the massive relief when they ended up in F.

Belgium is quite a tough way to start though but the 1st match is always the best shot to pull an upset on a giant so I give them a fighting chance.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
A1 vs A2 slot is guaranteed to be the first game of the tournament,

1 team per region per group (except UEFA)

To ensure the host is opening the tournament they have to be A1 therefore have to be one of the top seeded teams
Thanks. But for the first game anyway there could be a different way in which to have the host playing first, to open the tournament. Really all it requires is scheduling to do that.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Everybody wanted group A and Netherlands got it. of course, grumble, grumble....heh

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
E with Germany and Spain would have been a death sentence for Canada. It was funny seeing the "OneSoccer" guys sweating it out so much freaking out about the thought of Canada in Group E and then seeing the massive relief when they ended up in F.

Belgium is quite a tough way to start though but the 1st match is always the best shot to pull an upset on a giant so I give them a fighting chance.
Its going to be some kind of party here if Canada should find a way to beat Belgium. What bedlam that would be. haha. I detest Belgium so my reactions are just natural. Realistically its about Canada getting the result against Morocco and getting at least a point out of Croatia. That might do it.

But until the World Cup starts we can all dream, and any upset can happen as we all know.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
If Milan Borjan starts against Croatia he'll have some extra motivation. Born in Knin, a Croatian city, but doesn't consider himself Croatian born, as the city was then part of the republic of Serbian Krajina. His family fled to Belgrade during the Serbia-Croatia war and subsequently came to Canada.

Going to be lots of Croatian fans in this country with mixed emotions when they match up with Canada. Thankfully no Italy so the Italians here won't be torn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad