GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've been to several of these matches here. Always enjoyable. 51K against Brazil and a 1-1 tie was pretty memorable. Never forget it. But this here squad is making new memories. Good for them, and for Edmonton, and hopefully this propels Edmonton back to Soccer big leagues. We should be in MLS. A good argument can be made for it.

Anyway next up Mexico, and then hopefully Qatar WC, and then hopefully world cup matches right here in 2026.

Mexico probably packs more of a crowd. They bring some different atmosphere.
I’m glad I convinced you to change your mind about this team ;)

You’re welcome :sarcasm:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
A few fans on the pitch? I've seen worse with no repercussions.

True, the games could've been played in Toronto or Vancouver. Would Canada have got that much support in those 2 places? Probably not. Toronto is smaller and both would have a large contingent of Costa Rican and Mexican fans. Vancouver probably would have a smaller number in overall attendance. Just because they're Canadian cities doesn't mean they bleed red and white.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Good Canada won! Soccer is so slow moving compared to hockey. If it weren't for Canada I would not watch a soccer game.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Back in 2016 we didn’t even have A) A squad to believe in, or B) Alphonso Davies. Don’t worry. January 30 Vs. the U.S.A., Vancouver got this.

Then they played El Salvador in a must win game on September 16, 2016, in front of 20,726. To top it off:

"Tuesday marked Canada's third straight home match at BC Place as part of their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign, drawing a total attendance of 95,632 over the three matches."

Edgar scores, but Canada's World Cup dream ends despite 3-1 win over El Salvador | Vancouver Whitecaps

One-off events are nice. Last night's game was against Costa Rica. The Mexico game will push the 2 game total to almost, if not more than, 100k.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Then they played El Salvador in a must win game on September 16, 2016, in front of 20,726. To top it off:

"Tuesday marked Canada's third straight home match at BC Place as part of their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign, drawing a total attendance of 95,632 over the three matches."

Edgar scores, but Canada's World Cup dream ends despite 3-1 win over El Salvador | Vancouver Whitecaps

One-off events are nice. Last night's game was against Costa Rica. The Mexico game will push the 2 game total to almost, if not more than, 100k.

Actually, it will pass 100k.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Is natural grass even possible in frigid november?

It’s becomes a frozen mess. Turf is much better when it’s cold like this.

I guess the ideal setup would be grass that is heated. I believe Green Bay has that set-up but I can’t see us going that route given that must be prohibitively expensive? Maybe some grass experts can chime in.

Just going to chime in on what a timeless stadium Commonwealth is. I haven’t been since they put down the new seats but when I walked in for the game tonight it is still as impressive as I remember. One of those venues that ages like wine and with updates here can remain a top venue for as long as we want it to be.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So for a guy who knows very little about soccer, what do the guys have to do now in order to qualify for the WC? Great news last night.

Reactions: oilers'72

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Was at the game. Fantastic experience.
A couple of things:
1) Field HAS to be grass to be a WC venue. There's no choice in the matter
2) In person field was fine. Visually not great but the quality of the turf was fine. Anytime you play soccer on turf ball moves much faster and bounces more than on grass.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
It’s becomes a frozen mess. Turf is much better when it’s cold like this.

I guess the ideal setup would be grass that is heated. I believe Green Bay has that set-up but I can’t see us going that route given that must be prohibitively expensive? Maybe some grass experts can chime in.

Just going to chime in on what a timeless stadium Commonwealth is. I haven’t been since they put down the new seats but when I walked in for the game tonight it is still as impressive as I remember. One of those venues that ages like wine and with updates here can remain a top venue for as long as we want it to be.

In the past, the Eskimos had a tarp put on top of the grass and blew warm air underneath. The only reason it has turf now is to save a few bucks replacing the sod. I don't know what the life span is on turf but it looked like it needs to be ripped up. I guess, though, with just the Elk there, the current turf is usable. 2026, however, changes need to be made.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Canada played its first 3 games at BMO Field. The attendance for those games were:

September 2nd - Honduras - 14,822 (Covid restriction)
September 7th - El Salvador - 15,000 (Covid restriction)
October 13th - Panama - 26,622 (No restriction)

The last game there shows why BMO shouldn't be considered "home". It's only the sloped foreheads at CSA that want that. Even if they want to use Rogers Place in 2026, there's the small matter of the Blue Jays. I doubt they want to go on a month long road trip.

Reactions: rboomercat90

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
So for a guy who knows very little about soccer, what do the guys have to do now in order to qualify for the WC? Great news last night.

The win did well to put some space between us and Costa Rica in 5th. Top 3 qualify automatically and 4th goes to an international playoff. 7/14 games have been played and it's very likely we finish top 4 at this point. Keep pace and they should qualify.

Ideally top 3 for the automatic qualification but Panama winning didn't help. It'll be a battle but I have confidence in the boys.

world-cup-qualifying-standings-7-gp.ashx

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The win did well to put some space between us and Costa Rica in 5th. Top 3 qualify automatically and 4th goes to an international playoff. 7/14 games have been played and it's very likely we finish top 4 at this point. Keep pace and they should qualify.

Ideally top 3 for the automatic qualification but Panama winning didn't help. It'll be a battle but I have confidence in the boys.

world-cup-qualifying-standings-7-gp.ashx

Thanks--great post and very informative.

Reactions: oilers'72

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

The CONCACAF octagonal qualifying round that Canada is currently playing in is the last phase of qualifying for the 2022 World Cup. There are 8 teams, each play the other teams home and away once (for a total of 14 games). The top 3 teams qualify for the World Cup, with the 4th place team moving to an inter-confederation playoff [4 teams, 1 each from CONCACAF, CONMEBOL (South America), AFC (Asia), and OFC (Oceania)] where they play a home and away set against whichever team they're drawn against with the winning team going to the World Cup in Qatar.

Canada is currently in 3rd with 13 points through 7 games, one point behind Mexico and the US. If Canada can beat Mexico this coming Tuesday at Commonwealth it would put Canada in a very strong position moving forward with only games 6 games remaining. Canada's remaining schedule is as follows:

Mexico @ Canada - Tuesday, November 16 - Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton
January 2022:
Canada @ Honduras - Thursday, January 27th
US @ Canada - Sunday, January 30th
Canada @ El Salvador - Wednesday, February 2nd
March 2022:
Canada @ Costa Rica - Thursday, March 24th
Jamaica @ Canada - Sunday, March 27th
Canada @ Panama - Wednesday March 30th

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.w...cacaf-qualifiers-final-round_jan-mar-2022.jpg

The ideal scenario is that Canada has already qualified prior to their final game in Panama. Panama is currently 4th with 11 points. In terms of difficulty of schedule, Mexico has the easiest remaining schedule, then Canada's is slightly harder, then Panama, then the US has the hardest remaining schedule of the top 4 teams. Costa Rica, Jamaica, El Salvador and Honduras are all now really in tough to make it into the top 4.

Links below to see overall standings and World Cup qualifying process:
Schedule & Results
2022 FIFA World Cup qualification (CONCACAF) - Wikipedia
2022 FIFA World Cup qualification (inter-confederation play-offs) - Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad