GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Couldn't they have scheduled these games like 1-2 weeks earlier before this garbage winter weather started?

I believe they are given the schedule but the host nation picks where the game is played.

They likely chose Edmonton as they thought they could get an advantage but it looks like it’s backfired as I don’t care who you are this is absolutely brutal weather to play in.

They’re going to have to do a lot of work on the field to make it safe. That turf under snow and ice just seems like injuries waiting to happen. Add in blowing snow and the cold and it’s going to be awful for both teams. I don’t anticipate world class play.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Canadian Fall on display for the world. Gonna be funny if they show the crowd and people are in sweaters or it's close to zero and they find some dude in shorts. Lmao. Good luck to the Mexican team, subbing off the field is probably gonna look like this:

3g2.gif

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I believe they are given the schedule but the host nation picks where the game is played.

They likely chose Edmonton as they thought they could get an advantage but it looks like it’s backfired as I don’t care who you are this is absolutely brutal weather to play in.

They’re going to have to do a lot of work on the field to make it safe. That turf under snow and ice just seems like injuries waiting to happen. Add in blowing snow and the cold and it’s going to be awful for both teams. I don’t anticipate world class play.
one of the reasons they chose Edmonton IMO is because they knew it would be cold here and it's an advantage since the Canadians are acclimatized...either that or Soccer Canada doesn't know its own country very well

btw they have the turf covered from snow and ice

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This game should be postponed or cancelled.
There needs to be a minimum playing temperature for some sports. -10 just isn't it for soccer/football.

This is horrible for organizers, players and fans

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Commonwealth Stadium needs a dome...playing in the snow is one thing but with the minus 5-7 temperature is gonna be rough
giphy.gif

This is what I expect the reaction from the Mexican players are gonna be like
giphy.gif

Nah, just more tax dollars down the drain. Commonwealth is fine 99% of the time. We host summer things and football doesn't care, it's just the rare time we are doing soccer in Nov. Not much reason to spend millions for outlier situations.

Reactions: TB12

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Nah, just more tax dollars down the drain. Commonwealth is fine 99% of the time. We host summer things and football doesn't care, it's just the rare time we are doing soccer in Nov. Not much reason to spend millions for outlier situations.

I gotcha, I understand what you mean. I'm thinking more in the future. It would be pretty cool for Edmonton to host more Soccer tournaments during Winter and be a Hub for Canadian soccer. A state of art facility would be nice so more countries around the world would love to play here and don't have to worry about snow and cold and let them just play their game.
(Obviously you can do more than just soccer too)
As long as the numbers make sense and benefits the city ofcourse. I like Edmonton getting nice things.

Edit: Also maybe we can get a Mulligan on the Edmonton Elks and changed it to the Edmonton Bison Kings with the new stadium :sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

You're right with the wind and conditions. We saw the Eddies play at Clarke one early spring and there was wind, sleet and rain and it was miserable for both clubs. The wind was so strong they were running out of balls. Somebody would kick a ball and it would just sail. You wouldn't even know where it went some of the time. To say that it was near impossible to do much in those conditions, yep. Its the wind more than anything that will impact. It will erase all skill on the pitch and the passing will look amateur.

We just left the game at halftime the play was so abysmal.

tbh glad we don't have tickets. These conditions, for soccer, kind of ruin the match. I don't think its going to be any work of art out there but the Costa Rica game wasn't much either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Every time I look outside today I laugh thinking about the soccer game and having to play in this lol

I generally like winter but i HATE these conditions more than anything. Kicker wind, wet outside and constant sleet and snow. You go out in days like this and impossible to stay dry. I'd rather be in -25 than these conditions. Still a lot of humidity out, and that amplified with this system moving in. Its not the typical dry cold out there.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
This game should be postponed or cancelled.
There needs to be a minimum playing temperature for some sports. -10 just isn't it for soccer/football.

This is horrible for organizers, players and fans

This is the international break. All countries around the world are playing games for WC qualification. There's so many domestic club and national matches through the year that it's an insane pain to reschedule anything.

If I'm a team like Bayern Munich, I'm concerned about injury.

Gonna be a fun experience today but I expect the game itself will be poor.

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
this is going to be a remember when moment. I'd bundle up and attend if I lived near by. The camaraderie at the stadium will be unimaginable.

Reactions: oilers'72

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
LMAO if this is actually true

Sacrificing a World Cup qualifier against Mexico for an Argos' game just to have the national team them play in Edmonton in 'embarrassing' -5 and snowy conditions.

The gate revenue alone... :laugh:

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad